Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 04:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,859,921 times

Advertisements

looks like a difficult commute this evening for many people with the railroad crossing at McCrimmon just off NC54 closed for repairs after an Amtrak train hit a truck on the crossing. More worrying is that the driver said he had a green light to cross the tracks.

It will be a taste of things to come when a number of crossings in Cary and morrisville are closed as part of the track upgrades for faster trains

Amtrak train hits dump truck at Morrisville crossing :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:23 PM

5,733 posts, read 17,566,313 times
I was out at lunch taking a walk and heard it. Train whistle. . . . . big crash. . . . . fire engines.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,800,267 times
Train wins again hahaha , only 39 passengers though? ewww, should be like 200.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 PM

792 posts, read 4,480,813 times
That's a dangerous, congested intersection and I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often. It's real easy to get blocked on the tracks turning onto McCrimmon when someone 5 cars in front of you is trying to turn left into the building supply company. Or trying to turn onto NC54 when the light is green but traffic comes to a halt due to the backups that occur there frequently. I'm glad nobody was hurt this time but it's only a matter of time before someone dies there.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 AM

75 posts, read 253,143 times
You should never place yourself in a position where you are stopped on railroad tracks at all. People need to do some more forward thinking and stop before the tracks if they think they are going to stop on the tracks...smh.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,563,407 times
Quote:
It's real easy to get blocked on the tracks turning onto McCrimmon when someone 5 cars in front of you is trying to turn left into the building supply company. Or trying to turn onto NC54 when the light is green but traffic comes to a halt due to the backups that occur there frequently.
Wrong. It's not easy to get blocked on the tracks. Nobody is forcing you to stop on the tracks. If you can't proceed across safely then stop BEFORE the tracks.

Quote:
You should never place yourself in a position where you are stopped on railroad tracks at all. People need to do some more forward thinking and stop before the tracks if they think they are going to stop on the tracks...smh.
Exactly right. The post you responded to is more proof that there is no such thing as an "accident" dealing with automobiles. They should be called "wrecks" or "crashes". If people would do the only thing they are supposed to be doing while driving which is PAYING ATTENTION a lot of these mindless crashes and LOSS OF LIFE would stop.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,369,145 times
This sounds like a trashy incident.

Even though this driver wanted to park on the tracks but if your one of those who feel the need to park on the tracks
watch this Movie
YouTube - Rails & Ties

Great Performance by Kevin Bacon

Is this crossing going to be modified when High Speed Rail Occurs?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:43 AM

5,733 posts, read 17,566,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
there is no such thing as an "accident" dealing with automobiles. They should be called "wrecks" or "crashes".
OMG. Someone who has the same exact opinion on this matter as me. I need to write this date and time down in my diary

Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 AM

426 posts, read 1,488,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
ITA

My sons school is next to a track. It doesnt seem to be the regular schedule but a few times a month an Amtrak train passes by as I wait in carpool or am on my way home. The majority of families cross the track and sometimes it creates a bottle neck. Way too often I see parents with their children in the car stopped on the track waiting for the green signal

Unfortunately there has been quite a few incidents like this recently. Dont people learn from others' mistakes?!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,181,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
OMG. Someone who has the same exact opinion on this matter as me. I need to write this date and time down in my diary

Oh, I agree, they are definitely crashes not accidents. Never, never, never stop on tracks. Haven't we heard enough about the loss of life due to these errors in judgment lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary