U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM

102 posts, read 119,366 times

Advertisements

Hello all!!

So we're thinking about relocating to the Triangle and opening a restaurant/bar mostly catering to the college crowd. Any ideas on the best locations?

Thanks.

Last edited by BabyBoomers; 08-18-2010 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 AM

2,461 posts, read 5,507,703 times
Each of the 3 major universities has its own "street" with an array of college bars, so it is probably best to start your search in one of these general areas:

NCSU (Raleigh): Hillsborough Street
Duke (Durham: Ninth Street
UNC Chapel Hill: Franklin Street

Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM

8,177 posts, read 10,795,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Each of the 3 major universities has its own "street" with an array of college bars, so it is probably best to start your search in one of these general areas:

NCSU (Raleigh): Hillsborough Street
Duke (Durham): Ninth Street
UNC Chapel Hill: Franklin Street
Absolutely. Also, bear in mind that being one block off these "main drags" would probably be much cheaper in rent, but still within "partying distance"

PS--does the "420" in your username hint at what kind of business you're thinking of?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,128,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith420 View Post
Hello all!!

So we're thinking about relocating to the Triangle and opening a restaurant/bar mostly catering to the college crowd. Any ideas on the best locations?

Thanks.
my advice even though you didn't ask nor probably want...

keep in mind...4 months of your business is dead...I would really look into expanding that to encompass the young professional market 23-45 set...huge opportunities in Raleigh...

Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,209,150 times
I'm just concerned about what kind of business plan you're putting together if you're targeting the college crowd, but don't know where the colleges and universities are in this area.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:23 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,134,040 times
While all the main Triangle cities have a major university, I am most familiar with Raleigh. Which city you decide on will probably hinge on what your marketing strategy entails as far as target markets and overall market size.

There is a restaurant/bar space currently empty at the corner of Hillsborough Street and Oberlin Rd in Raleigh. Hillsborough St just recently underwent a major streetscape improvement, which killed off the previous tenant, Red, Hot and Blue. However, I think this particular location has lots of potential going forward now that the major road construction is coming to an end. This location is also very close to downtown Raleigh and several upscale residential neighborhoods.

That being said, there are many other restaurant/bar options on Hillsborough Street, which is the main drag across the street from NCSU. So, you will want to fill some sort of niche that isn't already represented, or cater to the general market in addition to the college market. If you want to target a broader market, downtown Raleigh will draw both college students as well as professionals of all ages.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:28 PM

4,898 posts, read 10,443,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
There is a restaurant/bar space currently empty at the corner of Hillsborough Street and Oberlin Rd in Raleigh. Hillsborough St just recently underwent a major streetscape improvement, which killed off the previous tenant, Red, Hot and Blue. However, I think this particular location has lots of potential going forward now that the major road construction is coming to an end. This location is also very close to downtown Raleigh and several upscale residential neighborhoods.
Hmmm. I thought that I drove past there this past weekend and saw an Asian restaurant sign up. There was a potted plant outside also (bamboo).

Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM

373 posts, read 660,436 times
If you put anything on Hillsborough St. PLEASE don't serve pizza/italian. PLEASE! I know when I was there we craved a decent sit-down place that was within walking distance from the school. If it had a bar/sports bar on the side, that would be a plus. The dining halls were crap then, and we quickly grew tired of fast food joints.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:08 PM

54 posts, read 141,279 times
If you decide to open a place in Holly Springs, Fuquay, or Clayton make sure it is either a fast food joint (preferably Sonic or McDonalds) or place that serves pizza, or a Golden Corral. That's all they ever seem to open up there. I guess that's all people want in those areas.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,312,886 times
Is anything going in the old George's Garage on 9th St?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary