U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 50,253 times

Advertisements

I'd love some candid thoughts on the best thing and worst thing about living in either Raleigh or Chapel Hill. I'm planning to apply to graduate school at both UNC and NCSU and I have never set foot inside the state of North Carolina!

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:23 PM

4,034 posts, read 5,550,008 times
Raleigh is a bigger city, but UNC is a much better school in my opinion than NCSU. I'm sure many native NC'ers would say that NCSU is great. (Yes I know SAS & Dr. Goodknight came from there.) However, I think UNC is better known internationally than NCSU. Chapel Hill might seem really boring to you, that's the major draw back. I really don't think you would ever regret getting a degree from UNC.

Raleigh is OK and has some activities going on downtown, but not everything is happening in Raleigh. There are plenty of activities in Cary, Durham, etc. At least in Raleigh you'd feel like you're in a city, although a small city.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:25 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,656,394 times
What's "best and worst' for a student at UNC or NCSU is going to be a completely different animal than what's "best and worst" for folks who actually live in the cities as working folks (which comprises most of the posters here).

Your question would have more accurately been labeled "Best and worst of UNC and NCSU" because that's what you are really interested in.

I have degrees from both UNC-CH and NCSU, but both are too old to be of much use to your situation, I'm sure. The UNC campus is hands-down better than NCSU's bunch of bricks, that's for sure, but otherwise it depends greatly on what subject area you'll be in, which you haven't said.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,540,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcrash View Post
I'd love some candid thoughts on the best thing and worst thing about living in either Raleigh or Chapel Hill. I'm planning to apply to graduate school at both UNC and NCSU and I have never set foot inside the state of North Carolina!

Thanks!!
both r great area's and citiies...only negatives about the area are the heat during the summer (huge adjustment if your not from Florida or the South) and insects...

Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 AM

1,420 posts, read 4,447,256 times
Abcrash, what are you looking for? What is life like in the Raleigh/Chapel Hill area overall, or the differences in living in one vs the other? Are you looking for info about the schools or just about living in the area (I assume the latter)? And where are you now for comparison purposes?

Last edited by didee; 08-19-2010 at 06:27 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 06:37 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,151,892 times
Some of the best things about living in Chapel Hill:

1. Phenomenal K-12 schools
2. As a smaller town, it has a strong sense of community and belonging
3. Great rec programs for youth
4. An excellant town library
5. Fantastic restaurants
6. A real estate market that historically brought above average returns
7. Limited development

Some of the worst things about living in Chapel Hill:
1. Property taxes - those schools and programs, coupled with limited development, cost a lot to run
2. Very high home prices
3. Limited development - you often have to go elsewhere to shop
4. An overused library - too many patrons chasing what they have. (Expansion underway)
5. W. Franklin Street - supposedly Chapel Hill's "front porch," parts of it are a run down stretch of t-shirt shops, closed store-fronts, and panhandlers

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 AM

217 posts, read 383,888 times
In my opinion Chapel Hill is more of a college town while Raleigh is a city that happens to have a college in it.

Choose carefully! The rivalry between the schools in the Triangle is nothing to take lightly. You will either have to love or hate Carolina Blue or Wolfpack Red the rest of your life.

NC State is the only school I've ever heard of that actually curses out another school (UNC) in its fight song!

(Go Pack!)

Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,719,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcrash View Post

Thanks!!
Do you prefer red or Carolina blue?

Once you live here we tend to think of them as fairly distinct locations but if your point of comparison is NYC then it would be somewhat hard to tell the difference.

Frank

Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 AM

5,982 posts, read 7,361,324 times
My daughter is a senior at UNC-CH but loves living on the Hillsborough St. end of Brooks Ave. in the NCSU community. She simply loves the best of both worlds.......and the TTA provides all the transportation free of charge

Old 08-19-2010, 07:34 AM

2,530 posts, read 7,922,722 times
The worst thing about living in Raleigh or Chapel Hill is that you're not living in Durham!

Seriously, the worst thing about this area in general has to be the summer weather. This year has been especially bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary