Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 AM

317 posts, read 1,513,632 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend some good, but cheap electricians in Raleigh, NC? I just moved into an apartment building and its severely lacking in the lighting department. The bedroom has no ceiling light,and the living room has a ceiling fan with no light attached. I'd like to get at the very LEAST, a ceiling light in my bedroom. But I'm wondering if they could easily attach a globe light to the ceiling fan in the living room?

Anyways... I googled electricians and I have no idea who is good, or where I can find reviews, etc. Can you tell me a few places with some reasonable pricing? ANd any idea on how much I'd end up paying?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,602 times
Roughly $75 an hour is what many charge for service work. For a project, some will charge less per hour. Some charge a trip fee of about $25, some don't.

You can find people for a lot less but they cut every corner known to man and then some. Set up lots of time bombs to cause trouble later. I've cleaned up a lot of messes these jacklegs have done.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
Can anyone recommend some good, but cheap electricians in Raleigh, NC? I just moved into an apartment building and its severely lacking in the lighting department. The bedroom has no ceiling light,and the living room has a ceiling fan with no light attached. I'd like to get at the very LEAST, a ceiling light in my bedroom. But I'm wondering if they could easily attach a globe light to the ceiling fan in the living room?

Anyways... I googled electricians and I have no idea who is good, or where I can find reviews, etc. Can you tell me a few places with some reasonable pricing? ANd any idea on how much I'd end up paying?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry , no such thing as a "cheap electrician" better to ask for reasonable and qualified.

Just like everything else you get what you pay for.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
I use Ground Electric for my crawlspace business when I need electrical. I am quite discerning when it comes to skill level and these guys have an abundance of it. Cory 919-961-6920 is one of the owners.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,932 times
"Good" and "cheap" should not be your primary consideration when "quality", "professional", "licensed", "insured", and "reasonable" are much more important.

Please, please, please hire a licensed electrician who is insured; and make sure that if the work requires a permit and inspection that you insist that they be performed.

You will sleep better at night, your home owner's property insurance company will be pleased, and you will have no trouble if you ever decide to sell the property.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:04 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Did you get permission from the apartment owner to have electrical work done? Just wondering. Most leases do not allow that.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 PM

345 posts, read 1,060,259 times
Buy renter's insurance. Immediately!!

Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,147,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Did you get permission from the apartment owner to have electrical work done? Just wondering. Most leases do not allow that.
Yes, for sure. Check with the landlord. Some may let you do minor changes, some won't. Sometimes you may even get the landlord to pay for it. He'd more likely give permission & you pay for it. I should have told you, you bedroom will have at least 1 receptacle that is switched on top or bottom half. May have 2 or 3. If putting extra lamps or desk lights is an option, that is worth trying. Whether a light could attach to your ceiling fan depends of brand/style of fan. Most have had light kits available, whether stores have them when needed is another question. Might pay to look at fan, get brand & model #. Call or email mfr to see what is made for that fan.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:19 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
But I'm wondering if they could easily attach a globe light to the ceiling fan in the living room?
You don't need an electrician - adding a light kit is easy to do. Almost any ceiling fan can accept a light kit. All you do is

1) remove the cover plate from the bottom of the fan.
2) snap the connector from the light kit to the connector that was exposed when you removed the bottom plate
3) attach the light kit to the fan.

You will need to use the pull string on the light kit to control the light and the power to the fan has to be on.

Adding a second wall switch to control the fan is more involved.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:41 PM

317 posts, read 1,513,632 times
I do have renter's insurance and I do have permission from the apartment complex. My bedroom had this plastic circle thing in the middle of the ceiling, and I took it off just to see what it is and there are a bunch of wires there. Its almost as if someone already had a ceiling fan installed here, and then took it with them when they left.

So since there is already wiring... would that cut the cost of hiring an electrician. If its going to be too much money now, as in greater than $100- I wil just wait till the summer. Do electricians lower their prices during the winter? Ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary