Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 AM

544 posts, read 852,491 times

Advertisements

I’ve never thought of McManison meaning low-quality materials or shoddy construction.

To me, it conjures images of a new-money, high-consumption lifestyle family eager to spend money. I think of older neighborhoods experiencing tear-downs with the new owners putting up the McMansion that don’t necessarily blend in with the neighborhood.(lacking in taste)

It’s not a real mansion of course, in the same way that McDonalds is not a real restaurant – in spite of the fact that they try, with their fancy coffees and frapachino this and that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:37 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
^Think of a the way a Big Mac is built - production line, everything the same, cheap ingredients, low quality. Now apply that to a great big house and you a have a McMansion!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
I’ve never thought of McManison meaning low-quality materials or shoddy construction.

To me, it conjures images of a new-money, high-consumption lifestyle family eager to spend money. I think of older neighborhoods experiencing tear-downs with the new owners putting up the McMansion that don’t necessarily blend in with the neighborhood.(lacking in taste)

It’s not a real mansion of course, in the same way that McDonalds is not a real restaurant – in spite of the fact that they try, with their fancy coffees and frapachino this and that.
pretty good description

Big Mac and Fries, with the fries being the BMW or Mercedes parked on the drive

Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
pretty good description

I like my fries!!!

Vicki

Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 AM

I remember when Preston went bankrupt and we thought THOSE were huge homes!!!

There havef been other developers and builders that have gone under but nothing like what we are seeing today.

However, Preston came back and now that Toll Brothers has purchased Hasentree, I think Hasentree will come back too. Not sure you'll see the $6 million dollar homes being built any time soon but I do think you'll see more of the $1 million homes in there.

Vicki

Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
pretty good description

Or maybe its supersized with an Escalade

Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I remember when Preston went bankrupt and we thought THOSE were huge homes!!!

There havef been other developers and builders that have gone under but nothing like what we are seeing today.

However, Preston came back and now that Toll Brothers has purchased Hasentree, I think Hasentree will come back too. Not sure you'll see the $6 million dollar homes being built any time soon but I do think you'll see more of the $1 million homes in there.

Vicki
If you were to ask me to name a builder whose work I associate with the term 'McMansion' Toll Brothers comes to mind immediately.
They take 4 or 5 floorplans which are clearly designed for ease of construction and then go insane with ostentatious upgrades like the "Juliet Balcony". The exterior elevations are cluttered with too many materials and pretentious columns. They are the housing equivalent of a Cadillac with Chrome wheels, a Gold Emblem Package and a Faux Convertible Top.

I honestly don't see any reason to purchase a Toll Brothers home at any of the price points they operate in, but at $1 Million plus here in the Triangle it borders on the ridiculous. I can name a dozen local builders off the top of my head whose quality DESTROYS Toll-

Ange
Carolinian
Baron
Youngquist
Loyd
DJF
Rice
Richard Gaylord
Kevin Reinert
Braswell
L and L of Raleigh
Homes By Dickerson

There are plenty more as well.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM

43,288 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
If you were to ask me to name a builder whose work I associate with the term 'McMansion' Toll Brothers comes to mind immediately.
They take 4 or 5 floorplans which are clearly designed for ease of construction and then go insane with ostentatious upgrades like the "Juliet Balcony". The exterior elevations are cluttered with too many materials and pretentious columns. They are the housing equivalent of a Cadillac with Chrome wheels, a Gold Emblem Package and a Faux Convertible Top.

I honestly don't see any reason to purchase a Toll Brothers home at any of the price points they operate in, but at $1 Million plus here in the Triangle it borders on the ridiculous. I can name a dozen local builders off the top of my head whose quality DESTROYS Toll-

Ange
Carolinian
Baron
Youngquist
Loyd
DJF
Rice
Richard Gaylord
Kevin Reinert
Braswell
L and L of Raleigh
Homes By Dickerson

There are plenty more as well.
I'm not arguing your basic premise, but Toll will out-market all those custom builders.
They will appeal to relocatees who know their name.
And they will deliver more SF/$$ because of economies of scale, and Lord knows, that is the holy grail.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm not arguing your basic premise, but Toll will out-market all those custom builders.
And they will deliver more SF/$$ because of economies of scale, and Lord knows, that is the holy grail.
I AGREE... with both of you!

Vicki

Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Agree with all three of your points, especially the one about relocatees.
When we came on our first house hunting excursion from the NE our first stop was Brier Creek Country Club. We were familiar with the Toll name.

Ended up in an area that Toll had not penetrated at that time. Bought a nice tract home and was astounded by the $/SF.

Got really interested in the local RE Market and began to research the work of local builders-it was then that I realized that I was willing to trade some square footage for a better house.

Sold the tract home in 2007 (at a very nice profit-lucky me) and spent pretty much exactly what we got for 3900 SF of tract home for 3400 SF of custom home.

If I had the information that I had acquired by 2007 back in 2003 I would have purchased a different home at that point in time and probably would still be living in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary