U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:43 PM

709 posts, read 46,826 times
Sure they will make more money however they the district are not going to give any raises for extra duty jobs like coaching. That means a pay cut in my eyes. I will say this again starting teachers that make 33,000 a year after 10 years even with the raise from the state make only 43,000. Pretty poor salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 03:05 PM

7,310 posts, read 14,084,936 times
You know, there are many, many people in this country who work for the government and work equally as hard as teachers. Their jobs are equally as important, they have equal educational profiles and make the same amount of money as teachers working in Wake County. It's a government job and anyone who has worked for Wake or the State of NC knows that the salary is not the greatest but they more than make up for it in their benefits packages.
I think everyone knows that teaching is not a highly paid profession and teachers in Wake are compensated at the same rate as many other government employees with similar educational backgrounds and job responsibilities.

In addition, not receiving a raise is not the same as receiving a pay cut.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM

902 posts, read 2,438,171 times
For what its worth, a friend of mine just retired 2 years ago from another school district in NC... 30+ years and her last year's salary was $53,000. Raises or cuts, that doesn't sound great to me after 30 years on the job!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM

42 posts, read 125,152 times
Default one teacher's perspective

Although the NC starting salary isn't great, there are ways for teachers to improve their salaries. Teach in a district with a good supplement. The Wake County supplement adds 13.25% to the state salary schedule. Obtaining National Board Certification provides a 12% raise for ten years; teachers can renew the certification after ten years, thus retaining the 12% salary increase. Teachers who get a masters' degree can get an additional 10% raise.

Getting National Boards and/or a masters' degree is time consuming and expensive (the masters' degree, anyway), but these ARE ways teachers can improve their salaries.

I'm a teacher, and I don't like the "I'm a victim" mentality of some teachers. Be proactive. Maximize your earning potential. Do your research and find a school you love.

If you're miserable, get out of teaching!

-a happy teacher

Old 06-28-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
For what its worth, a friend of mine just retired 2 years ago from another school district in NC... 30+ years and her last year's salary was $53,000. Raises or cuts, that doesn't sound great to me after 30 years on the job!
That is correct!!The point about teaching down here in North Carolina is that there are NO UNIONS! There is no collective bagaining! The only state in the nation that makes it illegal!

Sorry there really is some BS going on down here. Sooner or later the teachers will need to get some backbone down here. Unionize , the young teachers that get hired down here leave after 2 to 5 years. Raleigh is not a young persons town.

Better yet go to Lee, Johnston or Harnett couties and teach for even less. Wake county has that 8% local suppliement. Oh yes and lunch duty and bus duty and other stupid things the principal tells you to do or else.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueDogsRule View Post
Although the NC starting salary isn't great, there are ways for teachers to improve their salaries. Teach in a district with a good supplement. The Wake County supplement adds 13.25% to the state salary schedule. Obtaining National Board Certification provides a 12% raise for ten years; teachers can renew the certification after ten years, thus retaining the 12% salary increase. Teachers who get a masters' degree can get an additional 10% raise.

Getting National Boards and/or a masters' degree is time consuming and expensive (the masters' degree, anyway), but these ARE ways teachers can improve their salaries.

I'm a teacher, and I don't like the "I'm a victim" mentality of some teachers. Be proactive. Maximize your earning potential. Do your research and find a school you love.

-a happy teacher
You want that national certification? Pay for it yourself! It is a sham. You do not need national certification to teach down in wake county. !

Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 PM

9,054 posts, read 18,127,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueDogsRule View Post

-a happy teacher
Great Post! It is good to hear from somebody who is actually a teacher. I think you summed things up nicely.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 PM

7,310 posts, read 14,084,936 times
Most professions require the individual to pay for their own certifications, licenses, registrations, and continuing education. I am also a government employee and I pay several hundred a year just in certifications to make sure I get the highest salary possible and another 200 a year in continuing education cousework. I also make about the same as teachers and get NO supplemental income or raises ouside of the annual state employees raise even when I have extra duties. I also have Master's degree (paid for myself) with two young children because it was an investment in my future earnings.

Why should getting a national teacher's certification be any different?

Last edited by lamishra; 06-28-2007 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-28-2007, 05:27 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,671,101 times
I, too, am a teacher. And to be very honest, I knew what the earning potential of a teacher was before I started my coursework. It didn't matter because it is something I love to do. I think that most teachers go into the field because of the work and not the pay. When more than 75% of the population hate their jobs, all I can say is, thank gosh I'm a teacher, because I love it!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I, too, am a teacher. And to be very honest, I knew what the earning potential of a teacher was before I started my coursework. It didn't matter because it is something I love to do. I think that most teachers go into the field because of the work and not the pay. When more than 75% of the population hate their jobs, all I can say is, thank gosh I'm a teacher, because I love it!
Sure you love teaching BUT when you worked in a district with a union and you were treated with some respect by the administration because the union had your back and you were paid upwards of 85,000 a year and did not have to sit in the lunch room or teach 3 blocks the entire year you say why in the world would I teach down in this state???

I put my time in for almost 30 years up north, I will never teach in this state unless the unions get a foothold here. The law must be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary