U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM

1,512 posts, read 4,772,831 times

Advertisements

10-15 years ago, Durham AND Fayetteville made the list of the top 10 (or 25 or 100..I forgot) of the most dangerous cities to live in. It had alot of gangs & crime in Durham, which scared away alot of potential buyers.

I work in Durham near hwy 55 & 54. I often venure out during lunch exploring the city. It has done a complete 360 since years past. There are quite a few really nice homes in Durham! I usually explore around the Southpointe mall areas where the houses are extremely nice with beautiful green neighborhoods. There are a couple behind the shopping center that has Pier 1, Linens & Things, Best Buy, etc. I recently discovered that a few months ago.

Also, I sometimes will head down Martin Luther King pkwy from hwy 55 and drove through some extraordinary neighborhoods as well. Very beautiful homes, friendly people and some close by shopping. 15-501 has some nice places to live too, around the shopping centers near Kroger/Walmart/Barnes & Noble/Old Navy.

I think the older neighborhoods near downtown could use a little work but to think of Durham as a whole as being "run down", I would say otherwise.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM

34 posts, read 136,081 times
I'm going to pass along your nice comments about south Durham to my dad, who was the chief engineer in developing Woodcroft and other neighborhoods around there. When I was little, I would sit in his office and color plats of the soon to be built Woodcroft neighborhoods. He will be glad to hear people are enjoying the area.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 AM

3,033 posts, read 6,087,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphelan4 View Post
"Durham is ghetto."

I am relocating to Durham from Boston. I have made several trips to the area in search of a home. I found a beautiful home in the woodcroft area. To be straightforward, the Woodcroft area and the area around SouthPoint Mall seemed to be filled with people walking down the wooded trails in Woodcroft with their dogs, couples jogging with Duke tee shirts or UNC tee shirts. Many parents were walking there kids in strollers. I thought this area anything but "ghetto." I am really looking forward to moving there.

I don't know about the safety of walking around the Duke area with a UNC t-shirt on....

Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 AM

141 posts, read 499,752 times
I've driven through East Durham in search of the bad neighborhoods, but have yet to see any. Sure, East Durham is filled with some low-income areas, but I was expecting more grit. Where can I go to see the truly dangerous neighborhoods in Durham? I'm just curious what all the fuss is about.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 AM

460 posts, read 1,678,071 times
Whenever I buy a home I go there at night. I take a drive after 10 pm and see what is going on. Why? Because I want to know. I also call the police dept and ask to speak to the crime stats person. They can tell you what crimes were reported in what area and they can break them down by category. I know on some websites they show you what the crime rate is.
One way to tell for sure is to call your homeowners insurance company and ask them. They also estimate your insurance by what class crime zone the property is listed in. Ask questions and get answers before you sign a thing.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:05 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,392,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
I've driven through East Durham in search of the bad neighborhoods, but have yet to see any. Sure, East Durham is filled with some low-income areas, but I was expecting more grit. Where can I go to see the truly dangerous neighborhoods in Durham? I'm just curious what all the fuss is about.
I've seen some confusion on the board about "East Durham" vs. "Eastern Durham County." East Durham I think of as the section between Roxboro on the west, US 70 on the east, up to about Geer St. or so. The section around Driver and Angier is one of the hotspots for crime.

Southwest Central Durham, including some parts of the West End and down Roxboro, also has some pockets of more dangerous areas. However, these are surrounded by areas that range from more upscale to middle-class to working-class.

Eastern Durham County (which includes some city areas) is the section east of US 70. Some low-income and some working class, but many new developments. Lots of growth, like Brightleaf at the Park, towards RTP and Brier Creek.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:10 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,949,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
well, I inspected multiple apartment buildings near where alston ave and 147 meet a few months back. I wont get into the horrible living condtions of the tenants or why every one of them was home instead of work at 1pm in the afternoon, but while I was walking from one building to the next, automatic gun fire broke out about 100 yards away. Plenty of "grit" there lol.
The bad areas are pretty contained nowadays though and when you drive through one, you wont second guess what that neighborhood is about.
Needless to say, I definitely felt like a (unarmed) fish out of water that day lol. Just about every good sized city has areas like this though.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 AM

2,476 posts, read 3,951,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I've seen some confusion on the board about "East Durham" vs. "Eastern Durham County." East Durham I think of as the section between Roxboro on the west, US 70 on the east, up to about Geer St. or so. The section around Driver and Angier is one of the hotspots for crime.

Southwest Central Durham, including some parts of the West End and down Roxboro, also has some pockets of more dangerous areas. However, these are surrounded by areas that range from more upscale to middle-class to working-class.

Eastern Durham County (which includes some city areas) is the section east of US 70. Some low-income and some working class, but many new developments. Lots of growth, like Brightleaf at the Park, towards RTP and Brier Creek.
Thank you for pointing out this distinction! I live in the area you are calling Eastern Durham County (though we are still in the city limits 4 miles East of the 70/98 intersection), and I feel bad every time someone mentions that East Durham is a bad area. I always want to say, we are further East Durham than East Durham and we are fine! When we moved here, someone asked me what part of Durham we were going to and I said the Eastern side, and they said oh you don't want to move there. I was like, uh, yah, I do!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:26 PM

282 posts, read 690,221 times
The first home we bought was in the Old West Durham area near Watts-Hillandale. We found a lovely old mill home built in 1908 for only $126K and sold it for 160K 3 years later. There is a lot of character in many of the older neighborhoods in Durham- Forest Hills, Duke Park, Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale, etc, and the area is only improving. If you like progressive neighborhoods and being on the edge of revitalization, this is your area.

Down in Southwest Durham, there are some great neighborhoods near South Point Mall, such as the aforementioned Woodcroft and New Hope Valley, and I would say that these neighborhoods are every bit as safe as most of Raleigh and Cary.

I moved to Chapel Hill because it was a more convenient commute for us and because of the schools, but I would consider moving back to Durham in the future. I roll my eyes at people who generalize about the entire city of Durham, because they obviously haven't done much exploring. Yes, there are bad neighborhoods in Durham, but in that way, Durham is more of a "real" city than the rest of the Triangle.

If you are considering moving to Durham, I would encourage you to find a realtor who specializes in Durham, because the neighborhoods change block by block. In general, expect to pay at least $100 per square foot or more. If you see a home that is less than $100 per square foot and doesn't need substantial renovation, I'd be nervous about the neighborhood.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 15,519 times
Default Looking for nice neighborhood in Durham

My booyfriend and I are looking to relocate to Durham area from Southern California so I can attend UNC. I want to be in a nice, safe neighborhood but relatively close to restaurants and shopping. I have been looking at houses for rent online (we have a small dog so I want a fenced in yard) but I don't know what zip codes are where and which areas are the best location. I visited the area two months ago and saw a little bit of Durham and liked it, but not enough to know where all of these rental postings are. Does anyone have a zip code map or some more info they can provide on best zip codes/neighborhoods to look for? I want to be in a more "hip" area in a more modern house with a yar so any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know of any row homes for rent in the area? We were thinking about that as an option.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary