Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times

Advertisements

Much has been discussed about how well or how poorly the Triangle is doing during the recession.

Debby Downers say it's all bad, and Pollyannas never utter a negative word.

Certainly many people are suffering. But many aren't.

I'm looking for examples and details.

In the past, jobs were plentiful. Then for a while, teachers and medical people were the fortunate ones who could easily find good employment opportunities.

Now teaching jobs are not as plentiful, and medical centers are cutting budgets.

So how about you? What about the company you work for? Have they been regularly hiring?

Which fields or industries are healthy? Which are maintaining?

Which types of jobs do recruiters have a tough time finding candidates for?

If you had a child in high school who needed career or college advice, which type of career would you recommend -- assuming, of course, the child would enjoy the work and was able to do the college work?

In other words, where in the Triangle is there positive employment news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 PM

202 posts, read 229,564 times
My company has continued to hire straight through the recession. We have been expanding our facilities and hiring more people. I can't predict what the future will hold, but the past and present have been very good.

I think when people decide to voice an unsolicited opinion of how things are, it will usually be someone who had something bad happen to them. People who are doing fine don't tend to take the time to shout from the rooftops. People that are having a hard time are much more likely to feel the need to scream. This leads to a skewed vocal representation.

Needless to say, an 8% unemployment rate is much worse than the 1.5% rate that once existed here.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:02 PM

What field are you in? What does your company do? What types of jobs have they filled? What types of backgrounds do the people have who are being offered these jobs?

I don't expect you to name the company, but it would be useful and interesting to get some specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to Austin View Post
My company has continued to hire straight through the recession. We have been expanding our facilities and hiring more people. I can't predict what the future will hold, but the past and present have been very good.

I think when people decide to voice an unsolicited opinion of how things are, it will usually be someone who had something bad happen to them. People who are doing fine don't tend to take the time to shout from the rooftops. People that are having a hard time are much more likely to feel the need to scream. This leads to a skewed vocal representation.

Needless to say, an 8% unemployment rate is much worse than the 1.5% rate that once existed here.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:12 PM

202 posts, read 229,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
What field are you in? What does your company do? What types of jobs have they filled? What types of backgrounds do the people have who are being offered these jobs?

I don't expect you to name the company, but it would be useful and interesting to get some specifics.
Manufacturing

Manufactures products people need for health

Anything from clerical, packaging, management, scientific, legal and logistics

This is not to say other companies are doing as well as we have. This is just the situation I know of at my one company

Old 08-22-2010, 05:38 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
I am a self employed electrician in Durham. I have lived here since 1981 & have never seen things so bad around here. We have usually survived recessions well, but this is different. I know a few electricians who have all the work they can do, but a lot are like me, struggling to find anything, then being priced out by handymen or illegal aliens. I've had about 5 good months out of 2 years. My wife's salary is the only thing keeping us going. I have barely made enough to cover my costs.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:24 PM

35 posts, read 87,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
In other words, where in the Triangle is there positive employment news?
The Triangle is fortunate to have three key players in the Smart Grid industry with operations here. Elster, Sensus and Itron have been and continue to hire. They have many jobs posted on their web sites.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Here is some positive news:

I just had a handyman do some work for me a couple of weeks ago. It took weeks to schedule my job becuase he is so busy. He has a team of people working for him and said he regularly turns down work becuase they just can't get to it all. Says he does about $25K worth of work a week.

I'm not saying it is all good out there, but some people seem to be doing ok.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Here is some positive news:

I just had a handyman do some work for me a couple of weeks ago. It took weeks to schedule my job becuase he is so busy. He has a team of people working for him and said he regularly turns down work becuase they just can't get to it all. Says he does about $25K worth of work a week.

I'm not saying it is all good out there, but some people seem to be doing ok.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times
None of the property management firms are being hit too hard. The biggest problem for us is that when the economy takes a turn, boards expect us to get everything for nothing, so we end up scaring off our best vendors and their service suffers. But for those that don't micromanage to that level, most neighborhoods are doing fine. The actual management firms aren't seeing as much new business from the developers, but everything in the established neighborhoods is about the same.

That being said... definitely would not recommend a college kid to go for it. I always wish I'd stuck to the hard sciences or engineering rather than liberal arts stuff. If you can't stick "ist" onto the end of it and have a high-paying career, best to move along!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 PM

797 posts, read 3,580,425 times
I work for a private pharmaceutical company in the triangle and I have to be honest that we are doing great. We had a record setting year 2 years ago, an average year last year, and on pace to do much better again this year. That said, I got a 20% raise a year ago, and still get 5 figure bonuses each year at the end of the year, with each year being a little higher than the last, so no, I cannot complain. I feel very fortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary