Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,945 times

Advertisements

I am trying to move to durham, nc; I am looking for suggestions for a good neighborhood that is suitable for the up bringing of children. I have 5 little kids and which to reside in a good community that has good school system.

henry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
There are tons of options. What's your desired price point, size, numbers of BR & BA, where will you be working, etc...?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:52 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
North Durham has decent neighborhoods but most of the schools are now slums. Little River is a good school, so is Mangum in Bahama. Northern High has deteriorated and I'm told Riverside isn't far behind. Carrington was sort of OK, last I heard. Eno Valley use to be a good school, but is now a dump. A lot of teachers have left there, after 1st sending their own kids elsewhere.

Charter schools are good, but the waiting list is long. My kids are in a charter school. Private schools are a good option if you have the $. Durham Academy has a good name. Carolina Friends School is strong on education but also strong on leftist politics.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:55 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
North Durham has decent neighborhoods but most of the schools are now slums. Little River is a good school, so is Mangum in Bahama. Northern High has deteriorated and I'm told Riverside isn't far behind. Carrington was sort of OK, last I heard. Eno Valley use to be a good school, but is now a dump. A lot of teachers have left there, after 1st sending their own kids elsewhere.
This is a gross over-generalization and mischaracterization of northern Durham schools. You did mention Little River and Mangum ES, but failed to include Easley and Hillandale as very good elementary schools. It appears from scores, etc... that these four schools are the top elementary schools in DPS. Carrington and Brodgen MS both seem to have a good reputation, or at least as good or better than most other middle schools in DPS. From my research, Brogden and Rogers-Herr (not in northern Durham) seem to be the two best middle schools in the system. I have heard that Northern HS has gone downhill a bit, but have not heard the same about Riverside. Riverside continues to do pretty well in testing and national rankings of top high schools, coming in second in the DPS district only to Jordan HS.

FWIW, we moved to Durham in part for the public schools. Our son is now attending an ES in DPS which has far better test scores, student-teacher ratios, % ED, etc... than the school he would be attending had we stayed in north Raleigh.

Last edited by mdp_az; 08-25-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 07:38 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,601,450 times
I would recommend my community (Fairfield) but I have no clue what your price point is or anything... We are in the Creakside Elementary / Jordan High School district.

If you have any questions, you can send me a direct message.

Best of luck in your move!
Matt

Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Woodcroft is a great neighborhood for young families. Lots of cul-de-sacs, walking trails, Swim & Tennis Club, etc. Schools are OK at the younger ages, but the high school (Hillside) leaves something to be desired from what I am told. However, if you can swing getting them transferred into Jordan High just down the street, you're golden.

Mike

Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmuhlenburg1 View Post
I am trying to move to durham, nc; I am looking for suggestions for a good neighborhood that is suitable for the up bringing of children. I have 5 little kids and which to reside in a good community that has good school system.

henry
Welcome to City Data and I hope your Durham search goes well. When considering schools and neighborhoods, remember test scores are only part of the picture. I highly recommend looking at strongdurhamschools.com.
It is a parent created and run website which post actual experience about Durham Public Schools. Parents, Teachers, and even some students have written their thoughts on their schools.

Unfortunately it seems some people discount Durham because what they have heard, which may or may not be from someone with direct Durham Public School experience.

For us when we moved we looked at the following elementary schools mainly because the neighborhoods associated with them were more central to the Triangle as a whole. Creekside, Hope Valley, and Forest View. In retrospect I know we would have also have been very happy with other schools like E.K Powe and Club Blvd, Pearsontown.

We are a Creekside Family and absolutely LOVE our school. Lots of involved parents, FABULOUS teachers, and students from diverse cultures, races, and backgrounds. I know families at all the schools I've listed and they all have said the same about their schools too.

If you have specific questions let us know.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:20 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
There are lots and lots of good schools in Durham! Phooy on the previous poster who pointed out all the negatives. As far as Duham goes, I like North Durham, there are a few negatives about living up here, but that's a different thread. I love Easley My kid goes there and it's great. Carrington is fine, and they actually have a great music program there. Not sure about Northern High. Riverside and Jordan are great as is DSA. There are montisorri options as well if that's your thing. Durham is a great place to live, and quite honestly... you get out of school what you put into it.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,764 times
[url=http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/]NC School Report Cards[/url]

Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 PM

66 posts, read 143,482 times
I would agree with the posters who have children in Creekside. I know several people in that district and they are very happy. Most of the people I know who have children going to those schools are in the Hope Valley neighborhoods. This is a nice community with many options for houses. Another area to look into is Hope Valley Farms/Hope Valley Green which also has some homes that are districted for Creekside. I also have a friend whose son goes to Rogers-Herr Middle school (also in SW Durham) and she is very happy with it. You will see that there are many options schoolwise because there are also great private schools in the area, including private religious schools - Catholic and Jewish, but these schools can be very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary