U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,832 times

Advertisements

I need to get an emergency root canal and most of the prices I've been able to discover via the web are about $1000 for the root canal and another $1000 for the crown. Considering that I just had a root canal and crown done on a rear molar in the San Francisco Bay Area (one of the most expensive places to live in the whole country) for a grand total of $1100, it seems to me that the dentists in this area are really gouging their customers. Given the fact that everything else (housing, gas, retail prices) is quite a bit cheaper than CA, I'm flabbergasted at the costs for dental procedures. Makes you wonder about price fixing or just exactly how it comes about that every dentist in the area is charging Beverly Hills prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM

2,108 posts, read 4,034,141 times
Interesting first post. It's always intriguing to me what drives folks to start posting in this forum, I have to admit that root canal price checks are an interesting place to start.
My wife paid about $900 for her last crown so your pricing seems in the ballpark, I think the local dental schools are less expensive. I did notice that R/T airfare from RDU to SFO can be as low as $250

I admit I'm a chicken, but I'm not likely to accuse someone of gouging me when they have a needle and drill in my mouth ...

Good luck , welcome

Frank

Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,763,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I admit I'm a chicken, but I'm not likely to accuse someone of gouging me when they have a needle and drill in my mouth ...
Frank
Ouch very true

Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 AM

2,461 posts, read 5,507,703 times
I believe there might be a shortage of dentists in this area, which leads to the supply & demand basics of economics wherein a short supply drives up prices.

You can probably get the whole procedure for a couple hundred bucks down in Mexico if you have a passport and the ability to take off for a few days. Even with airfare and a couple of nights in a hotel you'd come out way ahead. And no, I'm not kidding...heading south of the border for dental work is becoming quite common.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:18 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,207,343 times
Oh man, I just helped a client of mine find somewhere to do it and the price was $1175. I *think* his name is Dr. Christian Schaeffer (the last name was spelled a little weird). I'm almost positive it was raleighendo.com. Give them a call.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM

19,910 posts, read 8,857,393 times
Medical tourism. Czech and Hungary have some of the best dentistry practices in the world, and Hungary graduates more dentists than just about anywhere else as is also ranked the top dentistry location in Europe. Take a vacation (if you can) and enjoy the discounts!

Get your tooth pulled (or get the root canal out of town if you can afford it) and get some top quality cosmetic surgery done overseas!

Hey, if the Brits are doing it, it can't be all that bad.

Sun, sea and cheap surgery | Easier

It might infuriate your local dentist, as my Mom's was after she told him about it. Oh well...

Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 PM

6,370 posts, read 10,456,897 times
At 29 I just had my first cavity, my retainer had put a small crack in the top of my back tooth (from grinding my teeth at night) and allowed bacteria to get in. I can't imagine having a root canal. I will now forever wear a night guard, one preventable cavity (my wife told me I ground my teeth at night but I didn't listen) is enough for me!!

I don't really have anything to add but to say I hope you find a cheaper place, $2k for dental work is nuts I just paid my $50 co-pay and I thought that was expensive!

I know for general doctors Raleigh is a great area, many many to choose from. Perhaps you could call around maybe in Charlotte, it's a much bigger city and there might be a cheaper place. Also tell them you are paying cash up front and I would hope they will offer a discount.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM

372 posts, read 564,916 times
A crown is not a crown, is not a crown. There are MANY types of crowns; all porcelain, porcelain fused over metal etc, and EACH varies in price. Is there "build-up" involved? If so, this too will increase the price.

From my experience a crown involves several (2) appointments, all inclusive of the (1)charge- it includes the dentists lab fees for the fabrication of the crown + the temporary you leave the office with.

All in all- doesn't sound too bad to me.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 PM

525 posts, read 1,854,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I believe there might be a shortage of dentists in this area, which leads to the supply & demand basics of economics wherein a short supply drives up prices.
You are sooo right! We came out here two years ago from Orange County, CA where there was a dentist on every corner and we paid 50% less than we pay in Raleigh. Incredible.

Perhaps the OP could get a $99 ticket to fly back to CA for dental. We were seriously considering doing the same.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM

445 posts, read 616,645 times
It's not necessarily that there is a shortage here in Raleigh but there is incredible saturation in the big cities in California. What you paid in California is incredibly low.

You get what you pay for in most instances. I'd strongly advise against going to Mexico to get it done, unless you want to pay twice as much to have below standard work replaced. Trust me in that I've seen some really horrible stuff come from south of the border. I can't really comment on the places mentioned in Europe.

Someone brought up a good point in that not all crowns are created equal. People tend to forget that there is a significant lab fee involved with the crown, materials expenses, staff overhead. I'm not saying dentists don't make good money but people tend to forget these things.

It's all about priorities, right? I'm sure you pay about $75/mos for a cell phone. Tack on another $150/mos for internet and cable. That's 2700$ per year for a cell phone and TV/internet. What's your tooth worth to you? If properly taken care of you should get at least 5 years out of that crown. But we've all go priorities I guess. Fortunately you can watch TV and surf the net without teeth. Steaks aren't as good though I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary