Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 22,533 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved into my stepson's more expensive school district so we could take advantage of bus transportation for him in the afternoons now that he is in 8th grade and can stay at home safely (we work in RTP and Durham, respectively). We learned on Monday that he is not officially eligible to ride the bus to and from our house since his formal "registered address" is his mother's address.

We have learned from a few folks that he should just get on the bus and go--that this is not that uncommon and that generally it will not be scrutinized. Others have said we need to formally work something out with the school (with his mother's assistance in that). The transportation department said it is school board policy that he is only allowed to ride one bus--and we would have to go through a formal appeal process. (I'm sure this is the party line)

Are there any others in similar situations? What did you do?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
I think taking it up with the school principal might be somewhere to start. Your case makes sense, but those policies are in place due to some kind of past incidents, and nobody is going to violate policy without "permission".

OTOH, "just getting on the bus" seems like it would work; too. It's not as if drivers have a roster of who rides the bus, do they? (My school bus days were 30+ years ago). Once the bus driver recognized him, it doesn't seem like it would even come up. But, if you wanted to make it "official", get something in writing from someone at the school.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,074,529 times
We have a neighbor in a similar situation that worked out something with the principal as noted above . I'd definitely go that route.

I'm sorta surprised that students can just get on a bus. We haven't bar coded their foreheads and then scan them along the way - sorta like UPS does?

Frank

Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,752,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think taking it up with the school principal might be somewhere to start. Your case makes sense, but those policies are in place due to some kind of past incidents, and nobody is going to violate policy without "permission".

OTOH, "just getting on the bus" seems like it would work; too. It's not as if drivers have a roster of who rides the bus, do they? (My school bus days were 30+ years ago). Once the bus driver recognized him, it doesn't seem like it would even come up. But, if you wanted to make it "official", get something in writing from someone at the school.

I would definitely take it up with the principal or the transpoortation coordinator for that area. The Drivers definitely know who is supposed to be on the bus. At least they did back in 1980 when I had a similar arrangement due to divorced parents in Wake County, so I am sure that 30 years later they are even more careful about it.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM

7 posts, read 28,756 times
Being a high school student I wouldn't suggest the get on and go method. The first day they have a roster and from then on more or less remember who's on the bus. My driver never cared if I brought a friend (asked him first) but when I tried to ride a friends bus (way more packed than my bus) I got the boot.

I would talk to the principle. I had more absences than allowed (due to surgery) which would theoretically make you fail all of the classes but we filed an appeal and he was understanding.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:59 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,140 times
I agree you need to work it out w/ someone in the school or district. Not only may the bus driver notice a new face on the bus, but I'm sure they only stop at whatever addresses they are given by transportation. I'm sure it'd be a red flag if your stepson was like "Hey, sir, can you drop me off here?".

Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 AM

11 posts, read 22,533 times
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I was a little nervous about going the "wing it" route, to tell you the truth -- if it were me, I would be fine with it and play dumb if busted, but I wouldn't want my stepson to get caught in a jam.

Interestingly we scoured the full student handbook he received at school on WEdnesday, and there is a sentence in there about getting the principal's permission to ride another bus. Nowhere on the WCPSS site does it say anything about this, or even state the school board "policy" that the Transportation Department told me was applicable.

It seems like the school system really tries to hide the ball with bus stuff. They won't really tell you what you need to do--I"m glad I didn't just file a formal appeal on the form they suggested. My husband will just get a quick meeting w/the principal (along with his ex), and he'll hopefully agree that stepson can ride to our house on the days he is with us (which is almost half the time).

THanks again!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,304 times
Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I was a little nervous about going the "wing it" route, to tell you the truth -- if it were me, I would be fine with it and play dumb if busted, but I wouldn't want my stepson to get caught in a jam.
Exactly, it could put him in an embarrassing situation if he isn't comfortable with "playing dumb." This seems like one of those situations where you wonder whether in practice everyone ignores the 'rules' and if the honest person gets penalized for being honest.

I would be inclined to do exactly what you suggest. And if I were the principal, I would definitely grant your request. It's completely reasonable.

Hope it works out for you.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,785 times
My child has been riding the bus for 6 years and the driver always has a list at the beginning of the year with who is supposed to be on the bus. The drivers quickly learn the names and faces and what stops they get on and off. I wouldn't risk embarassing a child that age by playing dumb.

If you go to the WCPSS website look under the Board of Education section. There is a section on Policies. I know there is something there about getting permission to have bus service even if you don't technically qualified. I've looked it up for a friend. I have friends who have gotten permission for their kids to ride buses that the kids should not have been on. Start with the principal. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
<>I'm sorta surprised that students can just get on a bus. We haven't bar coded their foreheads and then scan them along the way - sorta like UPS does?

Frank
It's a little chip behind the ear. You can feel the lump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary