U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:12 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,630,361 times
Another Men's Warehouse fan here. I recently bought a Ralph Lauren suit for around $200(44Xlong too Belk's and Penney's both are running sales on suits and jackets....couldn't resist the Lauren wool navy sports jacket at Belk's either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:17 PM

1,505 posts, read 423,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
You know, I have found some really nice, designer things at Goodwill. They have stores all over the place. I've been to the one in Cary (Ten-Ten and Kildaire Farm) and the one in Brier Creek.

You also might try ebay for both new and used.
I work for Goodwill and you can get brand name suits for less than $10.00. Add the price of dry cleaning and you're still saving a boat load of money!

Old 08-30-2010, 06:19 PM

81 posts, read 124,542 times
I'm going with the other posters and assuming you mean a men's suit. Try JC Penney - they have nice suits. Also try Steinmart. Target has carried suits recently, although I am not sure about their quality. I do know that their mens dress shirts are nice for the price. (These suggestions would work for a woman's suit, too, although I don't think Target carries those currently.) You can get a nice suit for under $150 at these spots. You could also try the Smithfield outlet mall, which has a Brooks Brothers outlet, Banana Republic outlet, etc., although I'm not sure of the pricing there. There's also a Van Heusen in Smithfield - I know my dad got a nice suit there recently for less than $150.

Last edited by irby; 08-30-2010 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: adding a store

Old 08-30-2010, 07:42 PM

2,335 posts, read 2,630,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laexchange View Post

Any recommendations on where I can go? tailors, discount stores, thrift stores, etc

Thanks!
Should you need alterations on a new or used suit there's a nice Chinese lady on Clark avenue between Horne and Chamberlain(at Horse Track Alley to be exact) who does wonderful alterations at a good price. You'll see her sign in front of the little brick ranch. She's done our work for years now.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 AM

240 posts, read 325,256 times
Hit Belk's Men's store at Crabtree. I buy all my suits there and I wear one to work everyday. I have various brands, Lauren, Boss, Burberry, etc, and I have never spend more than $250 on them. When they have their "Red Dot" sale which is sometimes as high as 40% off the price written in red on the price tag they are taking a huge loss on the product. They also have the same type of specials on ties, belts, shoes and shirts. I bet you could get a whole new outfit from shoes to cufflinks for around $300 and actually get high quality stuff that will last you for years!

Good luck on the interviews by the way.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 AM

355 posts, read 559,071 times
TJ Maxx and Ross also have suits - I've been surprised at some of the things and brands that I've seen in their racks. If I were you, that might be my first stop.

Regardless of where you go, fitting and alterations are the key. It's better to have a $100 suit that fits you well than a $1000 suit that doesn't. So if you do find something at Goodwill or TJ Maxx, plan on taking it to a decent tailor. (And, avoid the mistakes I made when I was buying a suit in college.)

Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,294,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
Hit Belk's Men's store at Crabtree. I buy all my suits there and I wear one to work everyday. I have various brands, Lauren, Boss, Burberry, etc, and I have never spend more than $250 on them. When they have their "Red Dot" sale which is sometimes as high as 40% off the price written in red on the price tag they are taking a huge loss on the product. They also have the same type of specials on ties, belts, shoes and shirts. I bet you could get a whole new outfit from shoes to cufflinks for around $300 and actually get high quality stuff that will last you for years!

Good luck on the interviews by the way.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I had to buy two suits last year and shopped up, down and sideways. I bought the first one at Men's Wearhouse and was stunned by the final cost with alterations. My wife begged me to try Belks for the second one and I did and found a much nicer suit than what I'd bought at Men's Wearhouse for much less. I had it tailored at a local shop which charged me almost half what Men's Wearhouse fleeced me for.

I doubt I will ever shop anywhere else for suits in the future.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:26 AM

48 posts, read 60,330 times
I saw some great prices on decent looking suits at overstock.com too. That might be a good way to get one, and then you could get it tailored locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary