Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

After years of research, watching the industry and pricing, and keeping a close eye on financial incentives and subsidies, I finally decided it was time to install a solar photovoltaic array on my house roof. I already use the sun to heat my pool water for free - why not harness some free electricity for my family as well and cut our bills down quite a bit?

Typically known as solar PV, this means the type of solar panels that produce electricity to offset usage in the home to bring down my power bills. My home is fairly large based on square footage, and has numerous add-ons that add to my power draw such as a pool pump that runs 8 hours per day in summer, a secondary pump which runs the cleaner, three HVAC systems (one for each floor including basement), two refrigerators, a preschooler who requires a lot of laundry, and a shop/garage where I often work that has it's own small mini-split HVAC system to heat and cool. My wife and I both work full time jobs from home, so we also use two computers and 4 monitors plus associated devices (radio, speakers, fans, lights, A/C during the day, etc). I do as much as possible to keep the house "tight" and reduce usage where possible. A few years back when I first became interested, I interviewed several companies and picked one that was clearly the most experienced and knowledgeable. They were eventually the company I chose to do the installation which is happening now.

Some things I've done before considering this solar PV array to reduce energy usage or save the energy I'm already using include:
  • Renewed and upgraded my attic insulation to a solid R-39 rating
  • Sealed off all penetrations from 2nd floor ceiling into attic including adding foam around all can lights, checking for penetration and sealing up everything we found
  • Adding an insulated box around the attic pull-down stair
  • Re-insulating all knee-walls (partial walls) in attic that may have to do with heat transfer between conditioned space and unconditioned space
  • Had a whole house energy analysis done to check for air leakage, HVAC duct leakage, and much more
  • Changed all high or medium use bulbs to either CFL, CCFL, or LED
  • Tinted the windows to increase heat rejection
  • Set thermostats at 76-78 at most times to reduce HVAC usage
  • Set outside lights on timers to avoid wasted energy
  • Unplugged appliances or devices that are not frequently used that draw "phantom" power
  • STILL TO DO: Take my "kill a watt" meter around the house and find any last devices drawing power that shouldn't be and unplug them

Here's my past 12 months of energy usage so you can get an idea:

Note that last summer we had my daughter at home and in the basement a lot so the HVAC got used a lot more than it does now (I have it programmed to stay OFF at night now) and that it was low on freon, increasing usage unknowingly.

So what's involved? We're installing 27 Bosch 245W (DC) solar panels on my roof, in two sections (one facing rear, one facing side). The ridgeline between them is actually the ideal direction to face, but they are at good enough angles that they'll produce great output. There is an inverter on the side of my house that converts the DC power from the panels into AC power I can use. What happens is that it actually spins my meter backward when it makes power and only charges me for anything I use above what I produce.

In the summer I'll be covering roughly 25-40% of my actual usage with the panels and in spring/fall/winter, closer to 50-60%. Here's a chart similar to above, but I've added estimated monthly production in total kWh and the % of my usage that this covers (note: this is just kWh production versus usage, not cost - since my cost structure goes way down, and since my main usage is during the day when production is highest, even if I'm only producing say 30% of what I need overall, this still means my bill could be 50% less than what it used to be):

Here are the nitty gritty details about my system including payback numbers and "time to break status quo":

Summary showing estimated yearly production and other details:

More details about the system:

Time to break status quo. Status quo (red line) is what I have now (same as every other house) - just keep paying for electricity when you use it. The green line (with solar PV array installed) shows that, after the initial hit of the $31k spent, you quickly get back the tax credits and Progress check, so you start at -$13k or so in the hole, but make that up quickly not just with other tax credits but with offset power savings AND by being on a new rate schedule for the power you do use, which now costs less than before. I'll explain below.

Cash payback chart. Conservatively around 9 years, but faster if I use less power and manage my peak power usage wisely (will explain below).

There's a big outlay up front to get started and get the system up and running, but you can see that I'll get a big $5300 check from Progress right away, then when I do my taxes in March or April, another $13k or so in tax credits, so that at least helps cut a lot of the cost down very quickly. My power bills will also go down immediately which will add up quickly. You can see that after Progress, Federal, and NC incentives, my actual cost for the entire system on a cash basis (not including time value of money) is only about $8600. The system should last 30 years or more. We'll be living in the house at least another 20 years, so it's a wise investment. Energy rates go up by a few % every year and some years by more so when you figure this in, it makes even more sense.

The numbers shown are tax credits not tax deductions meaning you take your end of year total tax due and take those numbers right off the bottom line, not before figuring your tax. It's a big difference.

One more thing you need to know is the new Progress rate schedule I'll be on once I'm on net metering, meaning use minus production equals my billed amount.

Right now, we're all on a straight residential rate schedule. Current rates as of today (Aug 24, 2012) are 10.73 c/kWh of usage all day, every day.

When the new system is installed, I'll be on a NEW system with peak and off peak rates. Peak rates are charged at 6.377 c/kWh of usage and are as follows:

April 1 - Sept 30: 10am - 9pm
Oct 1 - March 30: 6am-1pm, then 4pm-9pm
Several holidays are also excluded from this such as New Years Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and day after, and Christmas day. When any of these fall on a Sunday, the Monday after will be considered "off peak."

All other hours are off peak and are charged at 5.003 c/kWh of usage.

On top of this, there's a peak demand charge of $5.02 per kW for all on peak usage. This means they take the maximum number of kW you use during any 15 minute period during the month and multiply that by $5.02 and add that as a surcharge to your bill. So if you have a lot of high demand devices (say, multiple HVAC, clothes dryer, oven, etc) coming on all at the same time, this could easily drive your peak demand surcharge through the roof and diminish an otherwise reasonable bill. Therefore I will be installing simple control circuitry on my main two HVAC systems to prevent them from turning on their compressors at the same time with the upstairs given priority. Each HVAC compressor can easily use 2-3kW by itself, so just keeping them from coming on at the same time can save me $10-15 per month on my bill with no other changes.

Here are some photos of what's been done so far. The inverter and conduit has been installed and the brackets to hold the rails are about 90% done. Tuesday they'll finish up the last 2 rails, after moving the 2 vent pipes you can see in the photos, and lay all the panels in place. From there it has to be inspected by the city and then Progress has to come out and swap out the meter for the new one that can spin backward (in effect - nothing is really spinning as it's digital). Then we can turn it on and check how well it's making power.

Questions?

Last edited by RDUBiker; 08-24-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Wow, I've never seen panels like that. That's pretty cool.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wow, I've never seen panels like that. That's pretty cool.
The panels aren't installed yet. Note the line above that says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker
Tuesday they'll finish up the last 2 rails, after moving the 2 vent pipes you can see in the photos, and lay all the panels in place.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:12 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
The panels aren't installed yet. Note the line above that says:
Oh, gotcha. The old ADHD kicked in there, sorry! Something shiny outside must've caught my eye

Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Oh, gotcha. The old ADHD kicked in there, sorry! Something shiny outside must've caught my eye
I realize it was a long post, but lots of people wanted details, so here they are!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
RDUBiker - I'm not likely to ever build a grand swimming pool, or incredible garage and workshop, or install solar panels, but I really enjoy and appreciate the detailed posts you provide regarding your projects. It's fun to see these possibilities, and extremely informative. Thanks! (More than I could have said in rep.)

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
RDUBiker - I'm not likely to ever build a grand swimming pool, or incredible garage and workshop, or install solar panels, but I really enjoy and appreciate the detailed posts you provide regarding your projects. It's fun to see these possibilities, and extremely informative. Thanks! (More than I could have said in rep.)
It's my pleasure. I enjoy helping others and explaining things that I've learned that took time to figure out, but in a simpler way so others can understand without as much trouble. I do it with my 3 year old all the time so I guess its in my nature. I also figure if I went through all this, someone else must be curious and even if it helps a few people here or there, it was worth the time to post, right?

I have to pay back for all the "taking" I do from the forum as well, don't I? That's how a society works, give and take. I can only give what I know, and it may not be much, but it can be extensive at times too

Hope it helps someone out there who might be curious. It's actually a great investment - I even ran it by a financial adviser before signing the final papers. They agreed it was a wise decision with a definite payback and good future return provided we continue living here for a while which is in the plan for sure.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Great pictures and detailed writeup. I have a couple of questions as I look at doing something similar with my house over the next few years (feel free to DM me if you don't want to answer in the thread):

How much trouble did your HOA give you with approval? [Since it looks like your installation is on the rear and side of your house, is any of it visible from the street and cause for concern in the HOA approval space]
Will the solar panels be flat mounted or will they angle them to have more cross section directly facing the sun?
How large is the cable they run from the roof to the box on the side of your house (and can they discreetly run it so it is almost invisible)?
Did you find any other suppliers competitive with Southern Energy during your research process (either on price or overall proposal)?
How difficult will it be to install the control which will only allow one of the HVAC units to run at a time during the day - is it a DIY type of device?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:23 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I realize it was a long post, but lots of people wanted details, so here they are!
Your detailed post's and pictures are very informative and helpful....great job and please keep 'em coming!!

Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
How much trouble did your HOA give you with approval? [Since it looks like your installation is on the rear and side of your house, is any of it visible from the street and cause for concern in the HOA approval space]
Virtually no trouble. I'm the first in Wakefield to even ask (surprisingly!) but mentioned that part of the approval was based on not being able to see them from the front of the house. I believe NC has laws in place preventing an HOA from unfairly preventing a homeowner from installing solar panels, but don't know what the details of that law are, since it was irrelevant to me at this time and I didn't research it.

You'll be able to see the ones on the side from the street if you know how to look at them - we live on the edge of a cul de sac and only certain areas in the cul de sac could see those if they looked properly. Nobody can see them as they casually drive by.

Quote:
Will the solar panels be flat mounted or will they angle them to have more cross section directly facing the sun?
Flat with respect to the roof, but the roof is at a pretty steep angle (45 degrees or so).

Quote:
How large is the cable they run from the roof to the box on the side of your house (and can they discreetly run it so it is almost invisible)?
It's run inside a one inch conduit and it's almost 6000W, so I imagine it's probably 6 or 8 gauge wire (2) and a slightly smaller ground but I did not ask for those details yet. The conduit is aluminum and visible, but could be painted to match the house color. It was originally going to be only visible from the rear but they decided to run it up the side (without asking me first) and I don't think it'll be a problem. It could be hidden if that was of importance to you.

Quote:
Did you find any other suppliers competitive with Southern Energy during your research process (either on price or overall proposal)?
They all seemed quite similar on price (to my memory - we're going back a few years now) but as far as experience, professionalism, and that "will take care of any problems that crop up" feeling, they had everyone else beat. Remember, this is a big deal - they're drilling through your roof, installing lots of stuff up there, etc. There are a lot of concerns regarding safety, insurance, quality of installation, final appearance, logistics, and much more. You don't want to try to save a bit because it could end up costing you much more in the future.

Quote:
How difficult will it be to install the control which will only allow one of the HVAC units to run at a time during the day - is it a DIY type of device?
Simple. My buddy put it together for me. I think around $100 or so in parts. I'm sure he'll let me draw up a diagram if anyone else was interested along with a parts list and photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary