Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM

19 posts, read 49,095 times

Advertisements

My neighbor is all excited about moving down to Raleigh and told me to think about making a change for the better. I had some health issues last year that took a toll on me. One of the medications I was on was a steroid and I gained a lot of weight. I feel I lost my job because of my new size. I want to take my neighbor up on her offer to come down there in July, but I want to know if anyone has had a problem finding a job because they are overweight? I'm college educated and a hard worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 15,945 times
Go to a chiropractor DC or a natural health practioner, it saved my life...

Old 06-28-2007, 02:27 PM

71 posts, read 249,249 times
One of the first things I think you should do is try and find some confidence. You maybe self conscious because of the weight gain. You can change the weight situation now that you've gotten over the health issues.

Your resume should speak for itself and demonstrate to employers that you've had steady employment and has stayed on a job without changing every few months.

Get a positive outlook on life and build up your self-confidence.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:46 AM

189 posts, read 796,994 times
Your weight should not affect your job performance. What line of work are you in?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 PM

I was an Accounts Payble Coordinator in my last position. I have a bachelor degree in Business Management and I'm currently taking classes in graphic design so that I can use these skills when I find a church home wherever I go.

My weight would never affect my job performance. I've always been a hard worker. I always go above and beyond. I have awards for being a hard and dependable worker.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:07 PM

I spoke with a lawyer, but he informed me that not many attorney would take this case because it would be hard to prove. My employer said budget cuts forced them to lay me off, but they've given someone else the job. I won't try to fight them, I will improve myself and move on to bigger and better things. Their loss.

I went to my physician and he wants to put me on diet pills. I went to an endocrinologist and he said I couldn't take diet pills because I had a mild heart attack. I'm schedule to go to a seminar to learn about having the lapband weight loss surgery in a few weeks. I think you are right, I should get myself together before I make the move.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,310 times
Default surgery

I would strongly encourage you to avoid the surgery. I get too many calls from people who developed bad complications after the surgery. From what I recall with the statistics, 2 years after the surgery, it is no longer effective for over 50% of those who undergo it. In other words, it is a very dangerous, short-term fix.

As an aside, there do not appear to any safe "diet pills" out there, per the FDA.

I know it takes a long time and is very difficult, but you are much better off - and safer - to work on weight through nutrition (note, I didn't say "diet") and exercise (even light walking makes a tremendous difference).

fwiw,
Mike

Old 06-29-2007, 03:46 PM

71 posts, read 249,249 times
I agree with Mike, you don't want a quick fix and most people that I know have already started putting the weight back on they lost from the lapband and weight loss surgery. I was afraid of the surgery because years ago one of my professors had it done with her best friend and her friend died from the complications.

Go to your Dr. and get a clean bill of health before you start do anything.
Cooking for others and sampling my products packed some pounds on me, but I bought some exercise dvds, books and equipment. Changed my eating habits and the weight has been coming off. You have to be consistent.

The nutritionist I went to has me writing down everything I eat and drink. I started out real slow. At first I was only able to exercise for 10 minutes, but now I do one hour on the treadmill 6 days a week and weight training every other day.

If you can afford it, have a personal trainer help you or go online and find a school that is offering certificates in personal training and find out if you can get a student to come out and train you for half price. I had a personal trainer that trained me for a few weeks and then wrioe everything out for me to do.

Maybe you should go and see a psychologist too because you don't seem to have a lot of self-confidence. Are you an emotional eater?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:24 PM

Thank you all for your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary