Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2006, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 12,029 times

Advertisements

Hi:

My Fiance and I are planning to look around the Garner area... can anyone please give us their opinion on the city- we would like to buy a KB Home there- and we did see it once and enjoyed it- we think it would be a nice place to start a family.?

thank yo..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 12:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I would suggest other similarliy sized towns in Wake County other than Garner.... Knightdale or maybe even Apex. Garner is pretty close to Southeast Raleigh, an area with a lot of crime. So many of the students at Garner High School and the middle schools come from that area and cause some pretty big problems. Knightdale is just a little North of Garner and is in a much nicer area; Apex is a little ways West of Garner. It's a little more expensive though.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:28 PM

32 posts, read 45,697 times
Why a KB home? Why Garner? I would agree with the previous poster regarding looking at Apex...Knightdale is not as bad as it used to be with the new hwy 64, but I still find it kind of depressing there as well...I don't care for Garner, however it is a relatively convienant location and is somewhat cheaper (I believe) than Holly Springs, Cary and Apex..

Old 08-15-2006, 09:45 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
While I probably would never live anywhere in Wake County other than Raleigh proper, if I had to choose, I'd take Garner over Apex or Holly Springs any day!
At least from there, you can be in downtown Raleigh, where all the interesting stuff is, in no more than 15 minutes.
But that's just my two cents.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:01 PM

63 posts, read 211,023 times
Any thoughts on Johnston County?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:11 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Default garner

I think Garner is up and coming in some regards. there are more restaurants, shops, etc than there have been in the past couple of years. It all depends on how long you are planning to live in the house, a couple of years? forever? Because the longer will be there, and if you are thinking of having kids, some of the schools in garner are not the best, some are okay, some are not great. I think garner is convenient if you work in downtown raleigh, or nc state, etc. It does offer the convenience of living closer to bars, restaurants and nightlife in downtown raleigh. places like apex, cary, holly springs, are not going to have that. North raleigh does though. I think you need to do some research, why did you choose garner, was it proximity to work? and, how long do you plan to stay in the house, you should look at how other houses in the area have increased in appreciation, etc.

let me know if you have any more questions!!!!

leigh

Old 09-10-2006, 01:07 AM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
Garner is a great area. I don't know much about the schools but I know there is not much crime there either. Every city has crime though. THere are areas of Garner to stay away from just like every other town.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Yep, Beffrey2. Garner is fine, as long as you know which neighborhoods to avoid. I think its pretty evident once you go there. I have a ton of friends that live in Garner and love it. For me? Nope. Hubby's new office is there. They built it there because the land was so much cheaper than Raleigh.

Vicki

Old 09-10-2006, 10:26 AM

60 posts, read 303,514 times
Garner is kind of the redneck part of Wake Co. You couldn't pay me to live out there. There are some decent areas but there are so many better places to live in this area than there. It is a little cheaper but if you shop around you can find something of similar price in a better community.

Just thinking from a resale standpoint...there could have been our dreamhome in Garner and we would have never known, just because we have zero desire to live there we didn't even bother seeing what was for sale in that area. I know a lot of people who share a similar opinion as mine.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:57 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I have clients, right now, that can't spend more than $110,000 on a house...there are a few homes in Garner that fit what they are looking for.

So...I have taken them there and some of the neighborhoods are just plain nasty but a few of them will work for them. If it comes down to buying in Garner because that is what they can afford now...or not buying anything, they can't afford to be so snotty and maybe they'll like the area "rednecks"!

Coming from NY, they are happy to finally be able to afford a home of their own.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary