Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,012 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about building in churton grove. Does anyone have any info they would like to share? I went and visited cameron park elementary school where our girls would be attending ... really liked it however heard that they would be redistricting this year. Definitely makes me nervous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 07:31 AM

15 posts, read 48,917 times
Hi there,

We are building in Churton Grove right now and will be moving in next month, so I thought I'd share my 2 cents. . . We can't wait to get there! I did A LOT of research (mostly on this forum, but also in person and on other internet sites) on towns, neighborhoods, and schools in the Triangle and kept coming back to Churton Grove as the best overall choice for us. Not sure which builder you are looking at, but our experience with Drees has been fantastic. The building process has been incredibly efficient and smooth, and the building manager in CG for Drees is unbelievable. We are out of town, so it's been difficult doing everything from a distance, but the communication and responsiveness to our questions/concerns is amazing. And I'll admit to being a pretty high maintenance customer and they are really patient.

With regard to the neighborhood, my husband has been traveling to NC virtually weekly for work, so he has been checking on the house regularly and in doing so has met many of our soon-to-be neighbors. We have already been added to the list-serv for the neighborhood, so are in the loop about all the activities going on: block parties, bunco, neighborhood watch meetings, board meetings, etc. etc. It seems like a really friendly, active group of people with TONS of kids. I think everyone is just really happy to be there.

Our son will be in 2nd grade at Cameron Park, so we also have toured the school and met the principal. We were very pleased with what we saw and everyone was incredibly welcoming and friendly. I don't know of anyone who is unhappy with the school. I haven't heard anything about redistricting, so I'll definitely look into that. If the new section in CG does get moved to Pathways Elem, I wouldn't worry. It's a new school (a few years) and from everything I've heard it has a good reputation also.

Gee, this was really long . . . anyway, good luck with your decision and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM

54 posts, read 152,756 times
MDatHeart,

I would love to hear more about your experience in Churton Grove. Are there many teens? I have a HS student and we'll be moving down this summer.

I am looking for a town on the more progressive side (we live in a very conservative area outside Atlanta now)...do you find Hillsborough to be progressive? I just don't want to wind up in another super conservative suburban area again.

And would you still recommend your builder?

How large is the neighborhood?

How far from downtown Hillsborough?

Thanks so much!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 PM

15 posts, read 48,917 times
invent1,

Hi, just saw your post . . . we've been here in Churton Grove for 3 months now and couldn't be any happier. We are in the new section (Phase IV) of the neighborhood where there are many, many elementary age children (and younger). I honestly don't know of any teens in Phase IV, but I certainly don't know everybody. I know of several middle schoolers, but that's about it. I know there are plenty of teens in the earlier sections of Churton Grove, because I see them at the bus stops and my friends have babysitters who live there.

I would absolutely recommend our builder, Drees Homes. There is a new on-site sales rep here who I don't know well, but he seems very nice. The on-site construction manager here is fantastic, really responsive and customer-service oriented. I can't say enough about the building process and all the Drees people we dealt with along the way. Please feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.

Regarding the size of the neighborhood, I think it has close to 1000 homes. Don't hold me to that, though, it's just a guesstimate. The neighborhood is about a mile from downtown Hillsborough.

I can't really answer you about whether Hillsborough is progressive . . . hopefully others with more insights in that area will comment!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more info. . .

Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 AM

86 posts, read 142,582 times
The neighborhood will have around 400 homes when finished. Phase 4 is the last phase and is around half finished.

Drees is pulling out and Beazer will be the sole builder left in the neighborhood. Drees has had very low sales (average 1 per month) for 12-18 months and just couldn`t compete.

We went with Beazer and were and are very pleased with the whole process. Both builders had a good name.

Hillsborough and Orange County in general is pretty progressive. This can be seen by the art scene, having a local co-operative or the elected officials.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
If anyone still needs help... I'm a student at the high school and Hillsborough is a great town. It's quite progressive and really community oriented. There aren't many teens in Churton Grove, but some of the middle school kids have graduated and are now at high school. I don't know anything about building homes but Churton Grove is a very nice neighborhood. I hope you move here!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 13,443 times
Default Moving to churton grove....help..

We are moving from Chapel Hill to Churton Grove this summer. Our house is being built and we move in in June. I have 2 elementary school kids, and they are really nervous about moving... Does anyone have advice for newcomers to churton on how to get the kids involved in the community? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary