Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:40 AM

202 posts, read 229,591 times

Advertisements

Our trip to Austin is almost upon us and I have a question that will relate to that. Our one concern about moving to a place out that way is the difference in landscape. Some differences we would look forward to, but one of the big question marks is going somewhere without the amount of trees and foliage Raleigh has.

For people that have moved here from elsewhere, how do you feel the amount of greenery here has affected you? We are so tied into green, trees and nature that we are concerned about how the lack of it would affect us? Raleigh can sometimes be difficult to navigate because there are so many trees blocking what is behind them. To us, that is not a bad thing. I think that is somewhat unique compared to other cities where everything has been mowed down.

What are your emotional or personal thoughts on just how green Raleigh is and what it means to you? Could you do without it if you moved away or would you always be longing to have it back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 07:47 AM

247 posts, read 452,365 times
We moved from Tucson, AZ last year and immediately fell in love with how green it is here. I'm not sure, even though it's been such a short time, that I could move back to a place without this much greenery. At the same time I was sure I would miss living in a valley of mountains when we left Tucson, and I certainly do miss it's beauty, but the greenery has made up for it. So maybe a different location would offer something incredible that this area doesn't have. Good luck with your trip, I hear Austin is really great.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
I love the greenery here, and have always lived surrounded by trees. I even moved from a newer clear cut subdivision to an older home to get more trees! While I really liked my house/floor plan, I found the lack of greenery depressing enough to move. I think I would have a very hard time adjusting to completely different terrain/vegetation.

So yeah, green really matters to me!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:29 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Not to worry! As you will soon discover, Austin does have trees! So if you decide to move there, you'll still get to enjoy plenty of greenery. However, I believe they don't have the abundance of tall pine trees there that we have here. I think that makes a huge difference.

I live in a neighborhood that is blessed with a lot of tall, beautiful trees. And I love it. But some days I really really miss the views of a more open landscape. I especially miss the beautiful sunsets. It seems that if I want to get a good view of a sunset in my area, I have to drive to a giant shopping center where most of the trees have been replaced with paved parking. Not exactly the beautiful vista I had in mind!

I also miss stargazing. In my neighborhood we can see small patches of stars, but I'd have to drive out to the lake to really enjoy the night sky. My husband had a very impressive telescope that we sold about a year after moving here simply because we stopped using it. Far too often, the trees blocked the view of the planets we wished to observe. When we set up the telescope on our back deck or even on the street in front of our house, the clear patch of sky available was so minuscule that it was hardly worth the effort.

Don't get me wrong. I adore our trees! I simply love a big, open sky, too.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Couldn't move to an area now that has limited greenery. I've fallen in love with the beautiful landscape and trees that this area affords. Makes me wonder why I waited sooooo long to make a move like this. I'm with AdInc07 too! We've been looking at moving to an area that has even more trees (and more land) even if it means giving up our beautiful home for an older home that is smaller and may need some work. Thankfully our current house backs up to lots of big trees so I can enjoy the view out all of our big windows....but I'm greedy now and would like more of it

Old 09-11-2010, 02:07 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
I'm from New England so a "green" landscape was very important to me when we contemplated moving. I lived in Amarillo, TX for 1.5 yrs, many years ago and had a great deal of difficulty adjusting to the stark landscape, lack of green grass/trees etc.

That being said, TX is a huge state and the contrast between East Tx/West Tx is amazing. My husband's sister's family moved to Austin about 10 years ago and absolutely love it there. It is much greener than the panhandle where I lived and really quite a lovely place.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I grew up with trees everywhere, and I can't imagine living anywhere it wasn't green.

I spent a week in Colorado Springs, Colorado, once, and it gave me the heebie jeebies. They seemed to have only two or three different types of trees. It wasn't enough for me.

I couldn't wait to get back to what was normal for me.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:24 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I enjoy my greenery.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I've lived in several states - all were similar to what we have here. It's not unique to the Triangle, but it sure is nice to have

Old 09-11-2010, 08:50 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times
I hate the trees. I can't see where I am, I can't see where I'm going, and everything looks the same.

Don't feel bad for them though, they hate me too. They're slowly creeping forward from my rear property line in the hopes of reclaiming the house and yard for the forest. They think they're sneaking up on me, but I'm on to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary