Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:54 PM

202 posts, read 229,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
Ok, Ok - I can't take it anymore. Bring on the TEXAS BBQ!
I'm going to get me some next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
While I am partial to the NC, Eastern Style, I am SOOOOO Very stoked that I'm heading to Texas this week. Going to KD's in Midland TX. One of my favorite places.

I won't admit it often, but I like it all too. NC Pork, Texas Brisket, Memphis (and Birmingham) ribs, and even Maine Lobsters. (oops, wrong thread, but still, I'm just sayin')

Old 09-13-2010, 03:19 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to Austin View Post
Enjoy every moment and every bite!

Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
They also have beef and chicken BBQ.

I know many native NC folks think the sun rises and sets on their beloved vinegar sauce but some of us have gotten used to tomato based sweeter BBQ after we lived in different parts of the country. It was so frustrating to live in Chapel Hill, known for great food and diversity and not be able to find tomato based BBQ sauce. But now we know what we crave is within our reach.
Generally, eastern NC is entirely vinegar based. Wilbur's in Goldsboro also uses some mustard. Western NC is tomato based. I grew up in eastern NC and dearly love the vinegar most. But if you really like tomato base, plan a trip to Lexington, NC. It's the unofficial BBQ capital of Western NC. You would probably like any of the places there.

I have occasionally had beef BBQ also, roughly similar to what they make in Texas. I like that a lot. I have a recipe and make it in the crockpot sometimes.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I have occasionally had beef BBQ also, roughly similar to what they make in Texas. I like that a lot. I have a recipe and make it in the crockpot sometimes.
If you make it in a crock pot, it isn't even "roughly" similar to Texas BBQ brisket.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I had no idea! I pass this place all the time. I do love the vinegar sauce, but I actually don't like pork BBQ (I know, blasphemy...blame my high school science teacher for having us dissect spotted fetal pigs; not a pork fan since). Anyway, I want to try Memphis style without having to go to Memphis so I'll get it on beef or chicken.
Though you don't like pork, you should try BBQ chicken. True BBQ chicken is grilled or at least oven baked. Basted with vinegar sauce every few minutes. Even some good BBQ places don't have good BBQ chicken. Try Bullock's & Dillard's in Durham. Check out volunteer fire dept fundraisers, Sertoma Club fundraisers, etc. as well. If you go anywhere near Wilson, check out Parker's and/or Bills BBQ. If you go near Goldsboro, check out Wilbur's BBQ. At home, you can grill it and baste with Dillard's BBQ sauce, Kroger has it. I mix about 1 part vinegar as well, to 4 or 5 parts sauce. Grill it SLOWLY on low flame.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
My first taste of beef BBQ was at a place called Luther's, back in the 80's. They had a place in Durham, 1 in Raleigh and 1 in Texas. Obviously some TX roots. They had NC pork, chicken & Texas beef BBQ's. The chicken was so so but the pork & beef were great. I didn't have beef BBQ again til about a year ago. My sister gave me a recipe someone gave her. I make in in the crockpot and my family loves it. She also gave me a good Brunswick stew recipe that we like. My 1 visit to TX was San Antonio in 1996. I didn't see any BBQ places there, but had lots of good Mexican (of course) food, good Brats & other stuff at Schilo's, & lots of other good places. Had a decent $5 steak somewhere downtown. Even then, a decent $5 steak was no more in my neck of the woods.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:49 AM

21 posts, read 62,522 times
I was hooked the first time I had Eastern NC style 'cue. Since then, nothing else compares. I guess it's all a matter of taste, but I love the simplicity of Eastern style with the emphasis being on the quality of the meat mingled with the tanginess of the vinegar sauce.

I enjoy Texas style brisket. I have a co-worker that smokes Texas style brisket in his spare time and it's pretty darn good.

As for the cue that relies on sauce, it just doesn't do it for me anymore. Not that it's bad or anything, just not my thing. It's a sticky-sweet mess that masks the flavor of the meat. If I want sweet, I'll have some banana pudding.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,975 times
Quote:
If you are truly moving to the Austin area, you will be close to one of my all time favorite Texas BBQ venues, The Salt Lick. I have not found anything to be better in all of my BBQ excursions. Make sure you hit it up and let me know what you think.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,440 times
Quote:
I like Iron Works in DT Austin for beef ribs - mmmm so good and really a lot of meat on the bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary