Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 17,591 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated to Cary, NC 7 months ago from Western PA. We are so pleased with our move however, we have been disappointed with the quality and quantity of produce and meat at the grocery stores. We are on a budget so we typically shop at Walmart and Sam's Club on the weekends. We are happy about saving money on most things but notice the produce and meat leave something to be desired. We often see fruit molded on the shelf. We have been in HT, Lowes, Food Lion, and Krogers but find the same problem. Where is the best place to find fresh meat and produce? Are we just going on the wrong days and everything is just picked over? Would it be worth it to go to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or Earth Fare just for these items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
I'd go to the Farmer's Market in Raleigh for produce in season.

I'd go to Whole Foods for meat, but you pay premium prices, I think.

We have found moldy fruit at Sam's Club, too.

It's one more reason so many talk about wanting a Wegmans here. No moldy anything at Wegmans.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:19 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,233 times
Hi there - we moved here in December from NJ and found a similar situation. I think the produce and meat are extremely overpriced here (it doesn't seem like the weekly sales are as abundant either).

I have been buying produce at the Farmer's Market, as well as through The Produce Box, which has been delivering fresh produce to my door every week. This summer, we have eaten peaches, grapes, apples, broccoli, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, etc, all locally grown.

As far as meat goes, I purchase meat items in bulk at Sam's Club. Sometimes, I go to Trader Joe's for chopped meat and other items. In Cary, there is a butcher, The Meat House, which has premium meats, but they are costly. Delicious as their products are, we only go there for a special occasion.

Good luck! And welcome!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,750 times
I have lived in NC my whole life, and its a tiered system:

Harris Teeter is usually #1 quality for meats/produce/seafood, with Kroger a close 2nd, then Lowes Foods at 3, and really just avoid these items at Food Lion.

I am not including Whole Foods, since its at another price point entirely.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:47 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,157 times
We have a Kroger, Food Lion, and Lowe's Foods. Lowe's meat quality is much better than the other two. You may want to talk to someone in their meat department to inquire about the best days to shop. Everything at our local store is very fresh. I've found that Harris Teeter and Lowe's have descent produce, but the best is as the Farmer's Market.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:29 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,699,859 times
As far as grocery stores go, Harris Teeter for "normal" meat and Fresh Market for "better meat" unless you go to a meat market, but I haven't found any good ones in Raleigh yet; butchers are a dying breed.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
We find that the meats and produce at the Harris Teeter and Kroger in N. Raleigh are quite good. If I am looking for meats of exceptional quality I looke to Fresh Market, or Whole Foods.

Buying meats and produce at Walmart or Big Discount Stores Like Sams is not something I would advise anywhere if quality is what you are after.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 PM

821 posts, read 1,462,108 times
My friends rave about the Meat House in Cary, but I think they are probably more expensive.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:43 AM

379 posts, read 959,219 times
Both my grandfather's and one uncle were all butcher's, so I am a bit of a "snob" whent it comes to meats- I find the meat in Fresh Market to be supurb. However, I have not been to the Meat House in Cary, so I cannot comment on their product.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:08 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I'd go to the Farmer's Market in Raleigh for produce in season.

I'd go to Whole Foods for meat, but you pay premium prices, I think.

We have found moldy fruit at Sam's Club, too.

It's one more reason so many talk about wanting a Wegmans here. No moldy anything at Wegmans.
Agree on everything you have said! I'll add that Whole Foods has some nice produce and when it's on sale prices are reasonable.

What surprised me the most is that I once saw someone stocking strawberries and blueberries and they were knowingly putting some of the packages out WITH the fuzz already in them....WHY? Does anyone really buy fuzzy strawberries???

NEVER, EVER did I have to question the quality or inspect my produce and expiration dates like this at Wegmans. They have such a high standard for their quality.

My dh thinks the rotten produce down here is due to transport issues, because of the heat conditions here? Not sure if that is true but it could make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary