Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM

202 posts, read 229,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Putting a happy face on everything regardless of "reality" is annoying.
The opposite is also true, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
Reality is truth. Truth is not annoying.

I guess some people can't handle the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to Austin View Post
The opposite is also true, isn't it?

Old 09-18-2010, 05:23 PM

202 posts, read 229,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Reality is truth. Truth is not annoying.

I guess some people can't handle the truth.
I love that movie.

The true reality is not everything is horrible here. Some people are implying that it is nothing but awful and anyone would be crazy to choose the Triangle as a place to live. How is that truthful or helpful when not balanced with the other side?

I don't see anyone, not one person, saying everything is great here. All I see are some people counteracting the everything has gone to hell crowd with a dose of reality. That reality being that although it certainly is no joy ride here, it certainly is no where near the nuclear waste zone some portray it to be.

What do you see as the bright spots in the Triangle? Where do you see the Triangle being better than other places?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
I've never seen/heard/read anyone say that everything is horrible here. But it's not like it was, and of course, that is because of the recession.

The bright spot in the Triangle? Family is here.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
NYCinNC: Plus..Maybe some people are looking for second jobs...Its called Ambition.
When someone has a second job--which implies "in addition to" their main one--in a retail store, it's generally not called "ambition"; it's called "a paycheck". I used to manage a retail store, and yes, I had plenty of employees who had a "real job" and worked for me part-time as a second job. I can't recall a single one of them who was there for "ambition". They all worked there to help pay the bills (and in fact, sometimes, to get a discount on what we sold).

Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC to Austin View Post
People are not not acknowledging how bad things are. What people are doing is trying to bring some reality to conversations. Some people only see the negative aspects of life and attribute any event to how horrible things are.

When you look at the ratio of interviewees to the available jobs, the ratio is low and especially low in the tougher economic times that we have. On top of that, there are legitimate reasons why some people would apply for these jobs. I have a friend who recently picked up a part time job so he can pay down his mortgage quicker.

Why is it that it seems like some people are so dead set on focusing strictly on the negatives and almost refuse to admit any bright spots anywhere? I am not saying you feel that way, but I notice it in multiple forums for many different people. I think the extreme negative viewpoints of some drive the need for a vocal reality check from others.
I agree with you 100%. There are people that see the glass half full and people that see the glass half empty!

We just got back from seeing "The American" with George Cloony. It was HORRIBLE. So horrible that we were all complaining about it and then my friend said..."the popcorn was good".

Again, I say instead of declaring how sad it is that people are lining up for jobs, I say it is great that there were 800 jobs to be had.

Vicki

Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
tanger outlets' job fair attracts 4,000 applicants for 800 jobs - charlotteobserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/17/1697587/tanger-outlets-job-fair-attracts.html - broken link)

i mean its gotta get better...right?????
change

Old 09-19-2010, 06:23 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
calm down people...we know how bad it is! but to assume that all of Mebane is looking for a job is rediculous since Mebane is a bedroom community and people work in RTP.
it is also reality to think that the holidays are coming and people are looking for part time 2nd jobs at stores they would normally shop in to help them get through the next few months!

but to say we have no empathy and dont know reality is a little overzelous dont you think?? yes you are right, you know the reality and i just think the world is rosey
whatever makes you feel like the better person
That kind of reasonable thought has no place on this forum. It's "annoying".

Let's keep the fear alive people!
March to Keep Fear Alive

Old 09-19-2010, 10:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
If I posted a job in my company and my HR recruiter brought me only 5 resumes (the same ratio as the 4000 applicants for 800 jobs), I would tell them to go work a little harder and bring me more applicants to consider. (P.S., in this economy, for the jobs I've been filling, we tend to get 150-250 resumes per position (the majority of which already have a job and are looking to move up).)

Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM

406 posts, read 787,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
but to say we have no empathy and dont know reality is a little overzelous dont you think?? yes you are right, you know the reality and i just think the world is rosey
whatever makes you feel like the better person
I didn't say that anyone didn't have empathy I said people were not showing empathy with their replies to the OP

Let's assume that one person out of the 3-4 thousand people that turned up is desparate for an $8.00 job and has to support a family, pay a mortgage car payment, utilities, heath insurance taxes and oh that pesky thing...food. I still agree with the OP... I hope things get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary