Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

This is truly a jobless recovery. Imagine three guys in RTP have an idea. They can start the enterprise up overseas with labor costs at a third of what they would be here. Much of their market is overseas and a good part of it in the country they are producing in. The market in India and China is how much larger for their product and if they produce it in India or Singapore they might actually be profitable and successful. Who do you tax? As long as they reside in the state you tax the owners at a much higher rate to make up for the loss in tax revenues from workers not hired here. If they move their headquarters to Singapore? If American workers didn't cost as much they might have stayed here and the workers would have provided tax support. It is perhaps a vicious circle that current tax policy is exacerbating. It is cruel but I heard it the other day and you have to consider it.

When is the last time a poor person hired you. Lots of tough decisions to be made at the state and local level here. It is important for local government and state to make the right ones as RTP is in many ways our bread basket. Forget about RTP we have some of the finest universities in the Triangle what about their graduates and the ideas they have? Oh yeah many of them have relatives overseas who can coordinate the start up company. Wait many of them are from overseas and already have a foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 AM

406 posts, read 787,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I competed with 75 applicants for my job back in 2005. Was that "sad" as well?
It was for 74 of them.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
It was for 74 of them.
I don't know about that. I applied to several jobs when moving here. I wasn't exactly over the moon for each one and some of them I probably wasn't qualified for in the first place. I wasn't sad when those didn't pan out for me.

I think it is unrealistic to expect 1 applicant per position and don't think a 5:1 on average for positions at a new retail development qualifies as sad or unusual either. This isn't a slight on the unemployed... it is just a wake up call that even in the best of times their are multiple applicants for positions.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times
Just for comparison sake, I was reading James Herriot last night. When he was applying for veterinary positions in 1937 there were about 40 applicants for 2 or 3 positions.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 AM

Intense competition for high paying jobs is one thing. Intense competition for low paying jobs another.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Intense competition for high paying jobs is one thing. Intense competition for low paying jobs another.
Is 5:1 intense competition?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
Some new stats released today, North Carolina gets mentioned a lot.
Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Is 5:1 intense competition?
Geez I have no idea and I should ask my son who would really know as he is in the staffing field. I am to old and the last time I applied for a job was in 1971. Was really tight and tough back then I think, but all I have is a fleeting memory of getting a job. Dang think about that 38 years ago. Look dude I am out to pasture these days. Awfully nice pasture I should add but I am out there. Think I may call my son. To bad he isn't on this board anymore.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 PM

I called my son and as always got a great answer on this topic. As best as I can repeat it. The ratio isn't important it is the absolute number. Five to one isn't great but 4000 applicants is because your chances of getting a job are much lower. I know this seems counter intuitive but as he explained if Five people apply for one position four will not get a job. While in the scenario referenced in this thread 3200 won't. He drew his usual business analogy that saying you grew your sales five fold doesn't say anything. If you grew it from $100 to $500 whoopeee whup ####. However if you grow it from one million to five million that will get you a promotion. He was a popular poster on here but now with work and fatherdom he is no longer active.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
I don't look at a 5/1 ratio of applicants to available positions to be all that surprising.

Of the 4000, how many are teenagers and young adults in the local area who knew that the outlets were opening 18 months ago and have been waiting for their big chance to work at their favorite store? it's not like there are all sorts of other places to find part time retail work in Mebane, and kids can't always drive 20-30 miles to a part time job, so a good portion of the applicants may very well have never worked before. That would push the number up quite a bit.

I'm not trying to minimize the crappiness of the job market, but let's get real here. The circus is coming to town. I have NEVER had ANY reason to travel to Mebane before, and now I will have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary