Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:24 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times

Advertisements

I'm having the strangest twitter conversation right now with a NY attorney who thinks Durham is not welcoming to African-American transplants, and this person has never been here - absolutely does not believe me.

I sent link to city of Durham's stats but they are 10 years old. Not sure City Data is an official source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
I think City Data stats are based on census stats, and there aren't going to be new census stats until the 2010 numbers are released.

Durham has a history as the "capital of the black middle class" (google the phrase and you'll find a lot). This is a good article on some of the history: Black Wallstreet - Durham - SoulOfAmerica

Perhaps the person you are talking to thinks the existing population is insular, but plenty of people on this board can tell you there are newcomers to Durham, and any history book can tell you that Durham has a large middle-class African American population.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
The Census Bureau website itself has mostly 10 year old stats:

Durham (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks! Just sent it to him. There was a post in the Above the Law blog regarding Duke's failure to recruit African American prospective law students and the feeling was that the city isn't welcoming. It kind of blew my mind; I had no idea that perception about the city was out there - but I think it speaks to Duke's continuing issues of separation with the surrounding community.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I'm having the strangest twitter conversation right now with a NY attorney who thinks Durham is not welcoming to African-American transplants, and this person has never been here - absolutely does not believe me.
Durham has one of the strongest black communities in the state! You might check at the county level if the city level is hard to find. NC Central, a "Historically Black" university, is there, and NC Mutual was one of the first black-owned insurance companies, I believe.

Frankly, I'd let this person find their own statistics, but it sounds like he (?) is going to believe what he wants, stats or not. One thing that cones up quickly is this (http://www.durham-nc.com/resources/pdf/tourmap_aah.pdf - broken link), the Durham AA Heritage guide.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Durham has one of the strongest black communities in the state! You might check at the county level if the city level is hard to find. NC Central, a "Historically Black" university, is there, and NC Mutual was one of the first black-owned insurance companies, I believe.

Frankly, I'd let this person find their own statistics, but it sounds like he (?) is going to believe what he wants, stats or not. One thing that cones up quickly is this (http://www.durham-nc.com/resources/pdf/tourmap_aah.pdf - broken link), the Durham AA Heritage guide.
Isn't that something? The county census data had the countywide black population at something like 37%, but that doesn't reflect the city's racial makeup.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
Raleigh: Mapped by Race by Eric Fischer | New Raleigh

Old 09-24-2010, 05:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Thanks! Just sent it to him. There was a post in the Above the Law blog regarding Duke's failure to recruit African American prospective law students and the feeling was that the city isn't welcoming. It kind of blew my mind; I had no idea that perception about the city was out there - but I think it speaks to Duke's continuing issues of separation with the surrounding community.
I don't know what to say to your twitter friend. He is really off base and trying to correct sombody in 140 characters on twitter will be tought.

FWIW, I am not a law student but I have several friends who attended law schools in other states and I never heard of law schools "recruiting" anybody. They all just applied to where they wanted to go and either got in or got rejected.

What does the actions of a private University have to do with a City anyway? Durham not welcoming? Now I've heard it all!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
Isn't that something? The county census data had the countywide black population at something like 37%, but that doesn't reflect the city's racial makeup.
37.2% black for the county; 43.8% black for the city (both as of 2000) - some difference, but not a huge disparity. The county number may be lower for 2010 as south Durham county has developed so much.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
I had always heard that the rule of thumb for Durham was 45% Black, 45% White and the 10% balance split among Hispanics and Asians. I'm sure that's oversimplified. I am guessing that both Hispanics and Asians are gaining ground at the expense of the others' percentages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary