Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 19,039 times

Advertisements

Hello! Duke is a choice for me for grad school, and I'm looking into apartments and areas to live in in the case that I end up going there. When I was in Durham for my interview, I was looking at a few in particular, and was curious if anyone could shed any light on any safety issues that may be a problem in the area or in the complexes, or if anyone had any experience (or knew of friends who had experiences) with these apartments at all. The apartments are:

- The Belmont (I've heard bad things about the area? Off of Lasalle)
- University Commons/University Apartments (loved UC, just nervous about the area... and no dishwasher or w/d)
- Lenox East/West (never saw these, but it's not a far drive from campus and they're nice and inexpensive and I've read good things about Ticon, plus they come with w/d and dishwasher)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 AM

635 posts, read 1,616,961 times
I would avoid Belmont only because it's mostly undergrads who live there! It will have that kind of atmosphere. I'm not familiar with University Commons, but I would give a big thumbs up to Lenox. We have had friends who've lived there and liked it, and I lived in the small single family neighborhood immediately behind it for 8 years, up until 2011. Other than occasional car break-ins, I found it to be a very safe area and so, so convenient to Duke. Ticon has a great reputation as a property manager, and it was clear that they kept grounds looking very nice. There are mostly grad/med/young professionals in Lenox, plus some young families. I would run through there a few times a week and always found it to be quiet and safe. If you get back into town, you might also check out Colonial Village at Deerfield.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
Yeah don't do the Belmont. Grad students in my program have had issues there. University Commons/Apartments are great. Close to campus, Whole Foods, and the future Harris Teeter. Also puts you in the radius for Duke Safe rides. My grad students also like The Forest which is close to campus. Avoid Campus Walk. Or anything owned by Trinity Properties for that matter.

You may also want to look at efficiencies in that area. Many houses near Duke have little apartments above the garage, etc. They can be very reasonable and are usually quiet and safe. They pop up on Duke's housing listserv which you can find on the student affairs website.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:07 PM

83 posts, read 207,922 times
Once it looks likely that you'll go there, I'd ask current students enrolled in your program at Duke. Other students, especially ones in your program, can give you helpful advice from their experience.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:20 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
I know it's not on your list but maybe take a look at Pinnacle Ridge on University Drive (note - not Pine Ridge, apparently there are apartments somewhere called Pine Ridge. I mean Pinnacle Ridge).

Most of the tenants are law or Fuqua students. I think there's a Duke discount, and it's a great complex. Very close to campus. Safe as anywhere else, but safer on the upper floors.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 19,039 times
Awesome guys, thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I'm going to begin to look more into everything. I am grateful for the input since I've only been up there once!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM

11 posts, read 81,147 times
Actually I think the Belmont is a good place to live, you just have to aim not to live right next to the pool where there tends to be a bunch of douchy sorority kids in the units around it. It does have a lot of undergraduates, but it has a ton of adult families as well, including myself. I don't think the majority of these undergrads are problematic, though.

I'm in a top floor apartment facing a lake and it couldn't be more quiet and pristine; I feel like I have a little nook of heaven in the midst of the city. Likewise, being so close to campus, you have access to a free bus that will take you right to Duke Medical Center/the main campus, so you can get where you need to go for free quite easily that way. Otherwise you could just use a parking pass. Additionally, the community is gated. The office has coffee and snacks always available, as well as frequent give aways. It is also the cheapest nice luxury apartment within walking/bussing distance of campus. The buses are really nice.

La Salle is fine; I have never had a single issue. Just make sure you follow the basic safety precautions of not walking around at night in dark places, which will apply regardless of where you end up.

Anyways, all that is just to point out that this anti Belmont euphoria is certainly not accurate. There are plenty of great apartments to choose from. I do like any apt. complex with Colonial in it; they are all quite pretty. Likewise the Lenox chain is good too. Avoid GSC apartments of any form.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,114 times
Can I ask why not Campus Walk? I was considering liver there this fall but I'm concerned about safety.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,734 times
Where are safe areas to live near or within reasonable drive from DUH? Seeking new construction and preferably gated apartments in safe area. Visited The Lodge at Croisdale Farm and Woodstone at Croisdale Farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary