Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times

Advertisements

How is it possible that this thread is now 7 pages long? Tomorrow is Halloween (10/31/10).

Nuff said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:54 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Did anyone get any trick-or-treaters on Saturday?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion70 View Post
I live in Holland, Michigan and according to our local newspaper our kids are only allowed to go trick or treating from 6pm - 8pm on Saturday Oct 30th. I'm voting all those city council people out of office!
So I guess it's not just the Bible belt?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Did anyone get any trick-or-treaters on Saturday?
I got 4 of them and that was it! I almost didn't want to open my door out of the sheer "this is wrong" kind of feeling since it was Saturday night and not Sunday....BUT I did and the kids were cute!

Now, somebody please explain this "trick or trunk" --- Are we now dispersing candy out of car trunks or am I just not getting it???? I'm really more up for ringing the doorbell part of halloween myself - just please let's get the day right...

Never lived in an area where a Sunday night halloween was so darn confusing!!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 853 times
I moved to North Raleigh from NYC with my 3 kids last year. We were disappointed about Halloween last year, and this year wont be any different. We had a family tradition like many families in our old community did, that everyone in the family (adults included) dressed up and went door to door. I actually thought that since we moved to an apartment complex that it would be GREAT and that it would be so much easier to go door to door...but nope...nada...nothing...no one knocked last year, and no one probably will this year...it's sad and boring...next year I might have to organize something if Im still living in this apartment complex because driving my kids to the mall to get one piece of candy from 15 shop owners out of 50 is insane... (Katrina of North Raleigh)

Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Halloween up North (at least in western NY where I grew up) is a MUCH bigger deal there than it ever has been in the 17 years I've lived here. Up there, many, many people decorate their homes. Pumpkins. Scarecrows. Skeletons. Witches. Everything.

I've visited the Finger Lakes area a few times in October, since I've moved, and I'm struck by how crazy people go over Halloween -- and how downright absolutely CHARMING it all seems. I wanted to photograph everything I saw. It's as if I forgot how much fun it was.

Down here, it's just not as much fun.

Some neighborhoods have a lot more activity as far as trick-or-treaters than others, but it's never been like the Halloweens I remember up North.

It's as if the adults don't have the same sense of humor and they take themselves too seriously. Or maybe it's the Bible belt thing, I don't know.

I remember, when I first arrived, taking my dogs for a walk at Shelley Lake (in the fall, but not Halloween), and two of them had dog jackets on, and the third one had a small T-shirt.

A whole group(!) of people playing what looked like touch football stopped their game to YELL AT ME that dressing up dogs was dog abuse!

That attitude has changed, but it made me wonder what the heck people had against dogs (or people) dressing up.

Of course, there has always been the big Halloween party in Chapel Hill, but that was focused on college kids. Now the Chapel Hill police are saying it's not safe.

So, welcome to the culture of North Carolina.

I hope you DO start your own traditions and share the fun!

You can also visit other nearby non-apartment-complex neighborhoods with your kids. For the most part, I don't think people mind...unless your kids are teenagers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinahh View Post
I moved to North Raleigh from NYC with my 3 kids last year. We were disappointed about Halloween last year, and this year wont be any different. We had a family tradition like many families in our old community did, that everyone in the family (adults included) dressed up and went door to door. I actually thought that since we moved to an apartment complex that it would be GREAT and that it would be so much easier to go door to door...but nope...nada...nothing...no one knocked last year, and no one probably will this year...it's sad and boring...next year I might have to organize something if Im still living in this apartment complex because driving my kids to the mall to get one piece of candy from 15 shop owners out of 50 is insane... (Katrina of North Raleigh)

Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Please explain what you mean by "trick or trunk" -- sounds bizarro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I got 4 of them and that was it! I almost didn't want to open my door out of the sheer "this is wrong" kind of feeling since it was Saturday night and not Sunday....BUT I did and the kids were cute!

Now, somebody please explain this "trick or trunk" --- Are we now dispersing candy out of car trunks or am I just not getting it???? I'm really more up for ringing the doorbell part of halloween myself - just please let's get the day right...

Never lived in an area where a Sunday night halloween was so darn confusing!!

Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Please explain what you mean by "trick or trunk" -- sounds bizarro.
Our church had "Trunk or Treat". Several people would decorate their trunks or the backs of their SUVs. The kids went around to the cars for their treats. It was designed as a safer alternative to going door to door. When I was young, we only went to the houses of people we knew. I can remember getting in the car and driving to people's houses instead of walking door to door. I didn't like it because I didn't get to do what my friends did.

As far as the moving it to Saturday when it falls on a Sunday, that's the way I always remember it. (I've lived in NC all my life and I'm in my 40s.) It was just the way it was. Hubby (who's in his 50s) said the same thing. This is the first year I can recall it being discussed. It wasn't because it was a school night. I don't know WHY they keep saying that! It had to do with it being a Sunday. With so many churches doing their own thing now, I don't see that it's necessary to move it.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:01 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,630 times
I've heard it called "Trunk or treat". It's usually held at a church or school parking lot. Everyone decorates their trunks and then sit outside their car to hand out candy to the kids as they go by. There is usually hay rides, games, food etc for the kids as well.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 AM

So it IS bizarro.

I don't recall trick-or-treating being so incredibly dangerous. Talk about fear-mongering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Our church had "Trunk or Treat". Several people would decorate their trunks or the backs of their SUVs. The kids went around to the cars for their treats. It was designed as a safer alternative to going door to door. When I was young, we only went to the houses of people we knew. I can remember getting in the car and driving to people's houses instead of walking door to door. I didn't like it because I didn't get to do what my friends did.

As far as the moving it to Saturday when it falls on a Sunday, that's the way I always remember it. (I've lived in NC all my life and I'm in my 40s.) It was just the way it was. Hubby (who's in his 50s) said the same thing. This is the first year I can recall it being discussed. It wasn't because it was a school night. I don't know WHY they keep saying that! It had to do with it being a Sunday. With so many churches doing their own thing now, I don't see that it's necessary to move it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary