U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:01 PM

56 posts, read 328,561 times

Advertisements

I recently visited the Raleigh and Cary area recently for the very first time.

Raleigh:
Traffic: Not bad at all. When Getting close to Downtown around 5:30 on the beltline, there is a bit of bottlenecking but not as bad as my hometown's 5:00 traffic -- which is a small town. I-540 is very easy sailing even at 5pm.

Local's Driving: Very Nice Drivers but with some city driving skills.

N. Raleigh: beautiful and very nice area.

Downtown: Expensive area to live (if not living in the ghetto -- S. Saunders). Is building back up. Has "lovely" one-way streets. The outside of the Theatre is pretty nice looking and big. Downtown is getting a makeover; however, there are already some private schools, upscale bars, resturants, TV station, the Capital, and police that do patrol the streets. Not the best parking; however, there are parking garages.

I-40, I believe, was the interstate that has beautiful and plentiful flowers in the medium == makes driving a bit more cheerful (at least in my book).

Yes, the men here are fine and appreciate an intelligent, creative, confident, and go-getter women. In my hometown, men on general are scared of women like myself (beautiful, confident, intelligent, assertive, go-getter, and creative).

Various business buildings do look different than other business buildings except in downtown (where everything looks almost identical). My 2 cents worth.

There are a ton of apartments in Raleigh. I have never seen so many apartments in one area.

It is easy to be in one section of an area in Raleigh and be able to cut through to the interstates or taking the "back roads" without having to double back. In other words, there are lots of route choices for one to get to their destination.

Cary: From a tiny bit of touring it, it has a lot of green grass like Raleigh. More of a small town feeling than Raleigh for the obvious reasons. Not a small, small town. There is either a farmer's market in Cary or right on the outskirts of Cary in Raleigh.

HTH,
mshs2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 PM

7,574 posts, read 7,186,755 times
Yes, the men here are fine and appreciate an intelligent, creative, confident, and go-getter women. In my hometown, men on general are scared of women like myself (beautiful, confident, intelligent, assertive, go-getter, and creative).

Don't forget humble and modest.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 PM

16 posts, read 36,738 times
Oh, I had to laugh.

Apex economically depressed? Maybe the old building that's now the U-Haul station. But looking at my subdivision here (Woodridge) I'm seeing homes that sell in the 200-280k price range, and personally we live on about a quarter of an acre. If we were to shop for a comparable house in WA state that we found here, it would go for close to three times the amount we paid, and then of course you have the Abbington, Haddon Hall and Scott's Mill neighborhoods . . . But maybe that's the ghetto you described?

But that's ok. I'll just stay here in my little house that's appreciated $15,000 this past year (according to Zillow.com, anyway) and welcome those who'd like to be here. Hope you find someplace more to your liking.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:19 PM

4,609 posts, read 5,261,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
What happened to Creedmoor over the past decade? Did I miss something???

I remember Creedmoor as being "the country". I drove through it a couple of times back when I was a teen and the only thing I really remember about it was the Piggy Wiggly where if you tell the staff to oink, they had to.

Is it a place to live now? Really? I really feel out of the loop here!!!!

Oh, and how everyone there called a shopping cart a "buggy". I had no idea what a buggy was for the longest time until someone actually pointed at a shopping cart and said, "You know, a buggy!"

a buggy, hee hee Yeah Creedmoor is growing, not like Raleigh, but it's growing in population more than shops etc.

Actually ferrick, Creedmoor had been taken over by a bunch of bikers, that drove to Wake Forest to open a restaurant on the mountain there, and tried their luck in the real estate market over in Cary but only got $189,000 for the 5 homes they were able to sell. Then took their profit and went over to Durham to vist the historic area, and from their stopped in Chapel Hill and decided to enroll in some classes. Then after graduation the same bikers went to Apex and started a retired Race horse farm. Oh yeah and some say they had a newark accent, hee hee

Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 PM

3,353 posts, read 1,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
a buggy, hee hee Yeah Creedmoor is growing, not like Raleigh, but it's growing in population more than shops etc.

Actually ferrick, Creedmoor had been taken over by a bunch of bikers, that drove to Wake Forest to open a restaurant on the mountain there, and tried their luck in the real estate market over in Cary but only got $189,000 for the 5 homes they were able to sell. Then took their profit and went over to Durham to vist the historic area, and from their stopped in Chapel Hill and decided to enroll in some classes. Then after graduation the same bikers went to Apex and started a retired Race horse farm. Oh yeah and some say they had a newark accent, hee hee
LOL! Hey they sounds kind of fun, I want to live near them

Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM

195 posts, read 442,909 times
Quote:
You people need to take a chill pill, our post was hopefully a little insight for others that are thinking of moving there.
The problem is that you didn't provide any insight for others. You provided untruths.

Here is some insight for others that are thinking of moving here.
Raleigh: the downtown area is currently blah. Raleigh has never been landlocked and has always grown out instead of up so there is no skyline. Also, the RTP draws the majority of commuters away from downtown. City officials recognize that downtown is lacking and have begun several projects to improve the downtown area. We'll see how that turns out.
Apart from the downtown area, people's main complaint is that it's very spread out. As I said earlier, Raleigh's always grown out-not up so this complaint is very real.

On the flip side, Raleigh is safe, green, beautiful, and has a healthy job and housing market.

Cary: The median price is 256000. Note, that's the median and not the average price. That kind of shoots the "no houses for more than 189000" comment down, doesn't it. Cary is a very safe, but boring city. However, if you can afford it there are some absolutely beautiful homes in Cary.

Durham: I don't spend a lot of time in Durham so please take this one with a grain of salt. Durham has more economically depressed neighborhoods than the other areas in the triangle. But to use a few neighborhoods to paint the entire city is no more accurate than me saying the entire state of NJ is one big parking lot because I didn't like Newark.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:11 PM

195 posts, read 442,909 times
Of course, maybe I'm just upset that I passed on the opportunity to buy something in Lochmere for 189000.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
LOL! Hey they sounds kind of fun, I want to live near them
hee hee.... DId I miss anything?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM

Default there ya go.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
Of course, maybe I'm just upset that I passed on the opportunity to buy something in Lochmere for 189000.
hey, we are gathering a posse' to find that mountain,

Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM

11,412 posts, read 17,659,564 times
One of the problems with the people of the RDU area that I could never get past is that you cannot point out any problems with the area without them getting offended. It is their little utopia. Everyone is eager to hear your opinion as long as it conforms with theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary