Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a kit to install HID headlights into my car. Should be simple enough, but it's impossible to change lights (or even lightbulbs) on the car without taking it to a garage. I don't want to go to the Nissan dealership for cost reasons, but does anyone have a recommendation for where I could go for this? I feel like almost any decent mechanic could do it, but maybe a specialized place would be safer. I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible, since it should be pretty simple.

Thanks, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 AM

234 posts, read 822,516 times
Just a warning to you. You may have an issue finding an installer, since the HIS kits are not DOT approved and are not legal for on-road use. Even if you find an installer you will likely fail the NC state inspection, because the headlights will blind oncoming traffic.

PS...what kind of car is it?

John

Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 PM

what are you talking about? they're just different bulbs and a ballast. theyre completely legal.

2009 altima

Old 10-04-2010, 12:34 PM

234 posts, read 822,516 times
I suppose these are set of bulbs and ballasts out of China? The stuff is not DOT approved and is NOT legal to be used on the road in the US. Does your Altima have HID's from the factory? If not you are going to install a HID bulb into a light fixture that is not designed for a HID bulb. There will be no light cutoff and you will blind oncoming traffic with your lights that just throw light everywhere.

John

Old 10-04-2010, 12:49 PM

268 posts, read 1,067,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post
I suppose these are set of bulbs and ballasts out of China? The stuff is not DOT approved and is NOT legal to be used on the road in the US. Does your Altima have HID's from the factory? If not you are going to install a HID bulb into a light fixture that is not designed for a HID bulb. There will be no light cutoff and you will blind oncoming traffic with your lights that just throw light everywhere.

John
I use them - 4 yrs. Never been flashed by oncoming traffic. The lenses focus the light so as not to offend.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:05 PM

374 posts, read 1,181,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNC View Post

John
This is true. The lights are technically illegal and you could fail an inspection if the inspector really wanted to. Alot depends on the headlight design when using a HID kit, some cars throw the light everywhere while others are not as noticeable. Any car mechanic should easily be able to install them for you, if you are even remotely mechanically inclined you should be able to do this yourself

Old 10-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Okay, so to reiterate: i can't do it myself due to the placement of some stuff in the hood. I know most mechanics can do it. Does anyone know a specific one that would be good/cheap/willing? That was my point in posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary