Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times

Advertisements

Is there any type of mulch out there that will not attract termites to the house? My garden beds are directly next to the house and I need to spread mulch down and am stuck in a holding pattern as to what to do.

My idea was to use a brown stones around the edges of the garden beds and then use crushed red bricks as mulch to add color, but the wife went with red stones around the edge instead, so spreading red crushed bricks inside of that would be over kill on the color scheme. In any event, I would like to know what my options are since this landscaping thing is somewhat new for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
Cypress wood contains a natural insecticide but there is some evidence that this attribute washes away with time.
The recycled rubber is probably safe, but give it a look before you buy it.

Lots of different stone colors too .. Grey, white, light brown, etc
Frank

Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM

30 posts, read 87,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Is there any type of mulch out there that will not attract termites to the house? My garden beds are directly next to the house and I need to spread mulch down and am stuck in a holding pattern as to what to do.

My idea was to use a brown stones around the edges of the garden beds and then use crushed red bricks as mulch to add color, but the wife went with red stones around the edge instead, so spreading red crushed bricks inside of that would be over kill on the color scheme. In any event, I would like to know what my options are since this landscaping thing is somewhat new for me
We went with an 18 inch perimeter of small pebbles after dealing with all the bugs that come with the mulch... look much nicer even after 3 years..no maintenance either ..

Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,070 times
We moved from FL where there was a massive termite problem (state motto: There are Two kinds of Homes Here: ones that HAve TErmites, and ones that Will). We always used Cedar or Cypress. Lava rocks work as well.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
This site has some good pics of various decorative gravels and mulch

Gravel - Raleigh - NC

Frank

Old 10-05-2010, 07:00 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,845 times
I thought that cedar mulch was virtually bug free? Although, I am not sure they are ant free. We had ants this summer, first summer we have had mulch near the foundation....coincidence?? or no-rain for 6 wks....hmmm.
I have 'heard' that having rocks near the foundation is an attraction for snakes sunning themselves a little too close to the house...so I have avoided that. Is it true?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:08 AM

30 posts, read 87,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
I thought that cedar mulch was virtually bug free? Although, I am not sure they are ant free. We had ants this summer, first summer we have had mulch near the foundation....coincidence?? or no-rain for 6 wks....hmmm.
I have 'heard' that having rocks near the foundation is an attraction for snakes sunning themselves a little too close to the house...so I have avoided that. Is it true?
we hadn't noticed any snakes...but did see an increase in small lizards, which the kids loved to watch... their favorite was the one that has red coloring on it's throat...I think they also kept the bug population down ..the lizards not the kids that is ..

Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
We've always used shredded hardwood mulch in all of our planting beds, including those around the permiter of the house, and have never had a termite or other insect problem.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
We've always used shredded hardwood mulch in all of our planting beds, including those around the permiter of the house, and have never had a termite or other insect problem.
Agreed.
Major point: Having a clear view of the foundation between the mulch and the siding, preferably several inches, so any future termite tubes are easily spotted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary