U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:52 PM

240 posts, read 519,734 times

Advertisements

All,
I am pretty tech savvy and I'm sure I could do this myself but it's one of those so much to do so little time things in my mind.

I need to have about 4-5 rooms in my new house wired up with Cat6 cable. I already have the cable and the wall plates. I have planned on doing it myself but I could better use the time on other honey-do projects like tiling the bathroom and mounting Tvs.

Has anyone out there used someone locally that is good at running cable and terminating it? I want all of the cables to end up in the closet in my upstairs office. There is plenty of space above and below the rooms where the cable is going for someone to walk around and run the wire so it should be a 2-3 hr job tops. I'm just wondering if it might be a better use of my time to just get someone to do this for me.

Any thoughts, recommendations are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 04:50 PM

451 posts, read 959,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
All,
I am pretty tech savvy and I'm sure I could do this myself but it's one of those so much to do so little time things in my mind.

I need to have about 4-5 rooms in my new house wired up with Cat6 cable. I already have the cable and the wall plates. I have planned on doing it myself but I could better use the time on other honey-do projects like tiling the bathroom and mounting Tvs.

Has anyone out there used someone locally that is good at running cable and terminating it? I want all of the cables to end up in the closet in my upstairs office. There is plenty of space above and below the rooms where the cable is going for someone to walk around and run the wire so it should be a 2-3 hr job tops. I'm just wondering if it might be a better use of my time to just get someone to do this for me.

Any thoughts, recommendations are appreciated!
I can tell you for my office I found someone who charged about 65$ per pull I believe, per run. That was on the very cheap end, most quotes I received were 150$ per pull.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:06 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,800,524 times
If it's a 2-3 hour job, you will spend more time researching and getting quotes than you will just doing it yourself.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:08 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,489,891 times
If your talking about running these cables down inside finished walls, it will take longer than 2-3 hours if done correctly. You could also consider going wireless, but you already bought the cable.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 PM

28,421 posts, read 50,550,627 times
If it is easy enough to walk, I would pull the cable and see if I could get someone to put the ends on.
Or I would do the whole thing.
I just pulled about 700 feet of CAT6, but had to crawl up where the crawlspace is less than 18" high with 6 runs. No fun there. Walking would have been great.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 PM

217 posts, read 364,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
If it's a 2-3 hour job, you will spend more time researching and getting quotes than you will just doing it yourself.
I would agree with this. I tend to think most home projects that are only 2-3 hrs are usually not worth trying to find someone unless you really don't know how to do it or it's really gross.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM

451 posts, read 959,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAbdella View Post
I would agree with this. I tend to think most home projects that are only 2-3 hrs are usually not worth trying to find someone unless you really don't know how to do it or it's really gross.

I agree as well, but from his description it's probably going to take him much longer than his estimate.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,489,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAbdella View Post
It depends on the complexity of the cable runs because you have to determine the location for the new jacks to be installed, locate the studs, drill the top or bottom plate, run the cable and put the ends on. Multi-story runs are a bit more difficult and time consuming fishing the cables. Having a helper also speeds up the project compared to working alone.

Unshielded ethernet cables should not be ran through the same stud holes or alongside existing AC power lines to prevent any potential RF interference or performance issues.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM

240 posts, read 519,734 times
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to just run it myself. I will have a helper so it should go smoothly. I have run multi-room audio and ethernet in previous homes so it shouldn't be that difficult given the amount of "free space" i have to walk around in. As far as terminating the cable, it's really not that bad if you use a decent crimper.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 AM

28,421 posts, read 50,550,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to just run it myself. I will have a helper so it should go smoothly. I have run multi-room audio and ethernet in previous homes so it shouldn't be that difficult given the amount of "free space" i have to walk around in. As far as terminating the cable, it's really not that bad if you use a decent crimper.
Have fun!

Wired is the way to go.
CAT6 will set you up for many years to come.

I could NOT get good terminations on my plenum cable with the crimper, so I pushed on female ends to everything and have patch cables to the switches.
Good, bad? I dunno, but I sure like being wired in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary