Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:39 PM

16 posts, read 43,902 times

Advertisements

My mother and I planning to move to the Raleigh area from Michigan. I am single and in my 30s and my other is in her 60s. What areas would be best for me to look at for jobs and housing? My mother doesn't want to drive in lots of traffic. What is your suggestion for her? Would I have any problems finding a job in the area?

We both want to get out of all of the snow in Michigan.

Are pensions taxed in NC?

Any other advice on the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Didn't someone on this board say that we have the fourth-worst traffic congestion in the country?

What types of jobs are you looking for? The medical and engineering fields seem to be doing well. All others, not so much.

So if you're like most people (even those here), you'll have trouble finding a job here unless you are in those fields.

You'd want to get a job first before deciding where to live. It doesn't make much sense to fall in love with a place and then find out it'll take you 2 hours a day in commuting time (total). I think most people's commuting time is 15 minutes to 40 minutes. My shortest was 3 minutes and longest 40 minutes.

The more open-spaced areas include Johnston County and Wake Forest (toward Youngsville), but if you want to go anywhere, you'll hit traffic, especially in Wake Forest if you're going south down Capital Boulevard in the morning.

Sometimes it does snow here.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:22 PM

217 posts, read 445,836 times
You might have to be a little more specific to get good answers. What type(s) of job? Traffic is relative - if you are coming from Detroit it won't be so bad here - if you are coming from a small town in the UP it will be horrible. What kind of housing - price ranges, features, etc. You most likely would want to work on getting a job before anything else.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:47 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAbdella View Post
You might have to be a little more specific to get good answers. What type(s) of job? Traffic is relative - if you are coming from Detroit it won't be so bad here - if you are coming from a small town in the UP it will be horrible. What kind of housing - price ranges, features, etc. You most likely would want to work on getting a job before anything else.
I moved here from Ann Arbor, and routinely commuted between A2 and Detroit. I don't find the traffic any worse here than I did at home, and in fact, it's typically better. As for your other questions, the posters above me are correct - need much more info before any info can be offered!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
You'll find lots of Michiganders here to keep you company. We left the North County almost 2 years ago (Detroit). Depending on what you are looking / qualified / willing to do for employment will answer the question "What is there for work?"

A few details and focused likes / dislikes will narrow suggestions...

Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 PM

16 posts, read 43,902 times
Currently, I work at the health dept for the County of Muskegon. I would like to stay in a government job, but also not ruling out a new career path, perhaps in IS. I have a Bachelor's degree in marketing and have worked in a market research company in Chicago in the past.

I just don't want traffic like around Chicago. I liked Asheville, NC when I was there on vacation last year, but heard Cary is a nice place. I just need a place I can find a full time job as well as a place for my mother who is retired.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Raleigh has the worst traffic of anywhere in NC, put it that way, except for maybe parts of Charlotte. It's quite a "sprawling" area, not one central downtown core where everything is. If you specifically mention traffic as something to avoid, you might as well look in areas where it's better, because with the growth rate around the Raleigh area, it certainly isn't going to get anything but worse over the years. Come for a visit and check out all sorts of areas (including Asheville) and then apply for jobs in all areas you liked.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM

272 posts, read 724,254 times
I just moved to the Raleigh area about 5 weeks ago. Angier to be exact. It's a small town, and I like it. I found a job before moving down. I lived near Detroit, and find the traffic no worse, maybe a bit better than in Detroit.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:14 PM

78 posts, read 353,725 times
Compared to Chicago/Detroit, traffic here is nothing. I-40 and Capital Boulevard are the worst rush hour traffic IMO. North Raleigh is great, and pretty much anywhere around I-540. Traffic is not bad anytime of the day there. I-440 is a bit more crowded.

Make sure you have employment before moving here. Basic rule of thumb, most good areas are outside of the I-440 beltline, for newcomers. I recommend getting an apartment with a short term lease until you really learn the area, and figure out what suits you...that cant be decided overnight. If you want small town feel, there is no shortage of that. Pretty much every suburb is a great place to be, which one depends on your housing budget. There are many good areas within reasonable distance of Raleigh, such as Zebulon, Youngsville, Rolesville, Wake Forest, etc. I currently work in Raleigh and live near Wake Forest, and the commute is reasonable.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:18 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Quote:
Basic rule of thumb, most good areas are outside of the I-440 beltline, for newcomers.
Boy! That's news to me. "Inside the Beltline" has very nice (and very expensive) older homes.

I don't know why newcomers -- if they can afford those homes -- wouldn't want to live there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary