Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 AM

31 posts, read 39,231 times

Advertisements

Downtown's West Condominium Tower condos are set to hit the auction block at the end of the month. They haven't been able to sell these downtown Raleigh units in this depressed market. I'd say that's a clear sign of the times. So much for popularity. Condo's are a tough sell in a tough market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:50 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
In an over-supplied market, they sold quite a few units.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 10-09-2010 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-10-2010, 08:06 AM

31 posts, read 39,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In an over-supplied market, they sold quite a few units.
I do feel sorry for the people who purchased before the bottom fell out. Now they'll be upside down when all the other condos sell at auction. It's going to take a long time before they get back to just even.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
I do feel sorry for the people who purchased before the bottom fell out. Now they'll be upside down when all the other condos sell at auction. It's going to take a long time before they get back to just even.
Everyone upside down?
How many have loans? For what original LTV?

Will the condos sell at auction? It is definitely a Reserve auction, with price leader advertising to gain eyeballs.
What are the reserve prices?

Are "...all the other condos..." for sale at auction, or only a selected amount from inventory?

Is the auction the true sales venue, or is it only a marketing ploy to pop traffic?
Do they have to sell all 36 condos to meet a goal, or would sales of 10 or 12 pull in enough revenue to make a payment to Wachovia?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:46 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Everyone upside down?
How many have loans? For what original LTV?

Will the condos sell at auction? It is definitely a Reserve auction, with price leader advertising to gain eyeballs.
What are the reserve prices?

Are "...all the other condos..." for sale at auction, or only a selected amount from inventory?

Is the auction the true sales venue, or is it only a marketing ploy to pop traffic?
Do they have to sell all 36 condos to meet a goal, or would sales of 10 or 12 pull in enough revenue to make a payment to Wachovia?
Thank you Mike. Your post was insightful and very well thought out. A lot of companies are having cash flow issues and although it is true that these units came on the market on the worst possible time, they have sold quite a few of them, but obviously not enough to satisfy their cash flow needs. I would also be very surprised if any of the units sold for $95,000.

Mike

Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM

286 posts, read 749,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Thank you Mike. Your post was insightful and very well thought out. A lot of companies are having cash flow issues and although it is true that these units came on the market on the worst possible time, they have sold quite a few of them, but obviously not enough to satisfy their cash flow needs. I would also be very surprised if any of the units sold for $95,000.

Mike
I also doubt any condos sell for $95K. This is not a real auction, the highest bidder will not win. They are taking offers to see what they get, to accept or reject.

"Bidders must be pre-registered, and the developer has five days after the auction to accept, counter or reject the highest bid on each unit."

Old 10-11-2010, 03:00 PM

143 posts, read 417,030 times
It's just a marketing ploy. There's nothing "auction" about it. You make an offer, and the developer decides whether to accept, decline or counter.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Exactly. They have too many units to left to sell that are not involved in this to take lowball offers as it would kill the builders sales also. They are hoping to just drive marketing or maybe people will think they are getting a good deal and pay more than they would thinking there will be a bidding war.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,017 times
i wonder if the condo owners who did buy there recently are complaining to the sales office about this auction......it surely does not provide a good image for those who already bought there

Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
As someone who owns condos in both DT Raleigh and Miami, let me give you my insight as to what I think is really happening here. I could be wrong but I could be right.
Lenders (now more than ever) require a certain amount of condos to be sold in order to approve a new loan for a buyer. This is quite the conundrum for both developers and buyers in buildings that ordinarily don't qualify under these new "terms". In Miami, this is playing out as a system of haves and have-nots. The haves are the stable buildings that were sold prior to the meltdown. These buildings are more stable and new buyers can get loans. To a certain degree, these buildings are faring better than the "have-nots". The have nots had to slash prices to entice cash buyers. In turn, cash buyers knew that they had the upper hand so prices sank. How does this affect the condos in Raleigh, you ask? Well, I think what's happening at West is that the developer needs to get a certain amount sold to cross some threshold that lenders require for more conventional loans. To get to that number, the developer is offering the specific number of units for "auction" to fill that gap. Once that lending requirement has been met, they can more easily sell units to those who don't have enormous down payments or enough cash to close without a loan.
Again, this is only my opinion. I have no facts to back this up. I have just seen this play out in a much more severe way in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary