Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,014 times

Advertisements

I think people are more comfortable with interracial dating and marriage in the north. It seems less "embraced" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,809,602 times
The Raleigh/Durham area is a very diverse area. No one really cares whom you have chosen for a spouse or partner. If you are comfortable with iterracial dating or marriage what does it matter what others think? I have friends who have chosen interracial relationships and I see interracial couples every place I go here. My friends have not expressed any concerns of being treated differently.
So is the problem one of society, the area, or you?

Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 AM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhris View Post
I think people are more comfortable with interracial dating and marriage in the north. It seems less "embraced" here.
I don't know if I completely agree with you. Having lived in the North all my life and being biracial, I have experienced more issues in the North than I do now living in the South. My husband, who is White, and I do not get as many stares here or strange looks here. No one here has asked us if we want separate checks. Up North, it was common.

Of course, this is only my experience. I can't speak for the rest of the world.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,219,968 times
I doubt you would see issues considering the amount of highly educated people and transplants-overall shift in attitudes of the people....

Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
As with anything it is location, location and location. The answer is yes you could experience more problems and no you might experience less problems. Depends on where you came from and where you land. The question about separate checks can happen more often at lunch compared to dinner. Oh yeah lots of people get separate checks at lunch and they do need to know.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I live in a diverse area, meaning lots of transplants from "up nawth" and from elsewhere in the US, other countries, etc. My kids' schools are pretty diverse, and our neighborhood includes multiethnic families. My niece and nephews are Asian/White and their parents love it here--when my niece was a baby and they lived in MA, people asked my SIL all the time if the baby was adopted (chinese female baby+ white mom = assumption).

I live near RTP and the demographic where I live is supposedly highly educated folks. Not to start anything, just passing along some research data: statistically speaking, the more educated you are, the more likely you are to be liberal, and liberals have a reputation for being more open to progressive ideas like integration. So I'd wager a guess that the attitudes about multi-ethnic families would vary as widely as the demographics of any area you live in. Raleigh/Durham/CH area is no different.

That being said, there's a long running family joke in my house where someone was accusing southerners of being racist, and I said "there's no way I'm racist. I'm in a mixed marriage!" When given funny looks (my husband is whiter than I am), I would say, "well, he's from the MIDWEST!!!!" It's all in how you see it

Old 10-10-2010, 12:20 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhris View Post
Embraced or tolerant to. Very different. You will need to factor in your economic situation. The more affluent you are the more choices where to live you will have. Also lot's of angry folks out there today. Just read some of the threads in this forum and in the news. Lots of economic stress. If you are more economically stable than your neighbors and are different they could resent that. Overall depending on where you came from this area could be much less tolerant for this reason. You do not have the same percentage of upper income minority families here that you do in many other areas. That can be a shock for some people in some areas. Also you didn't specify how folks might be interracial. If one is Mexican and male that could be a big ouch with a lot of folks and their spouse is European/White. Oh yeah and he has a PHD.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
No one will care (at least no one that matters).

Old 10-11-2010, 06:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Some will care. I can't say, though, whether it's more or less than anywhere else. There are some areas around the Triangle where I think one would find much tolerance. There are other areas, especially as you move out a bit, that still hold some rather antiquated views on race.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post

Love your point Mike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary