Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 02:19 PM

24 posts, read 56,498 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, we are currently thinking about moving out of AZ and we have been researching all states and cities. As you know Phoenix, Az is a hot and dry place. We have been here for 9 years, before that came from a four season place. So we don't mind coming to a place where there some snow in the winter.

I'm currently in the Kitchen remodel business. Doing Granite counter Tops. I was wondering if any one could help me understand whether if I may be able to start a new business there doing granite counter tops. Also want to know which city would be a good place to start. Coming from a different part of the world as a young child where it was absolutely a small town feeling, I reminisce the times and miss that feeling. we don't get that here in phoenix. Please help me understand how the economy is in NC, and which city might be good for a starter family, as far as growth for future, and starting and growing a small business.

How are the school districts?

how is the weekend get aways for a small vacation? any near areas that offers amusement parks,?

What would be a decent area to rent for starters. Hopefully away from the ghettos. How much can I rent a 2 bedroom apt. for?

We currently live in a 1800 sq. ft. ranch house. we paid $140,000 for.
can I buy a house in the next 2 years for around the same price and sq. ft.

Thanks guys all thoughts are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 03:21 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,616 times
There are businesses out here for kitchen remodeling but with any area you move to it's best to secure a job first. We have places that Granite Transformations and other places that will put material over your exisiting coutertops. Construction here in general took a hit and while I see new communities still going up I don't know for sure what it's like in that sector.

Schools are good in Wake county but there are issues with overcrowding and kids being bused all over the place. Depends where you live. I am in Apex and love it. The elementary school is only a mile from my house and my daughter has not had to be shipped to another area.
You are only 4 hours from the mountains and 2 hours to a beach. The outerbanks ( which is beautiful ) is about 4 hours. I know there is a water park in Greensborro which is an hour from here. Bush Gardens is about 3 1/2 hours away in VA.

Weather is great but coming from AZ you need to be able to tolerate the humidity. We do get it here over the summer. I've heard many who came from CA did not like that too much. Was a little harder to adjust. Coming from NJ we had our share of humid months so was not a big change. For me it was the snow. I had a lot there and here it's gets cold but no where near NJ and you only see a day or maybe a couple of days of snow.

I know 2 bedroom apartments in Apex are not too bad. They are around $700 ish. You would need to shop around and best thing is to spend a few days to see how you like the area. Renting is smart, we did the same for a year. Housing here will vary. That price point will put you further away from the towns such as Apex, Cary, North and West Raleigh as well as Morrisville. Which then also puts you in areas like Garner and East Raleigh. Schools out there I have not heard good things. You might get more in Wake Forest or Rollesville which I have heard schools are good but you are far commute wise. My friend lives in Rolesville and has to drive to Durham. It's about 45 minutes to an hour. She doesn't mind but would be too far for me. All depends on what you will tolerate. Her husband who is in construction ( works as a sub in Home Depot for Kitchen Remodels ) said he wishes they moved by us since all his work is down here.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:44 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Our neighbor just moved back to CA after 2 yrs in Cary during which he struggled to get his granite counter business off the ground. Unfortunately, despite lots of experience in this field, the slow economy forced him to close shop. We'll miss him, he was a great guy.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:09 PM

24 posts, read 56,498 times
Default Granite Business

Thanks for your reply. Does your friend think California is better for the Granite business?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenjan View Post
Thanks for your reply. Does your friend think California is better for the Granite business?
He moved BACK to CA where most of his family remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary