U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,769,653 times

Advertisements

I thought the writer of the letter in todays Cary news gave a good perspective on the fairness of Tolls on the new 540 extension when it opens. Particularly as he has used the existing section from NC55 to I-40 everyday for the past 3 years which was funded from previous 'tax dollars' and not the Bond Financing, but will shortly be required to pay a Toll to use this section. I'm sure the views on this will be equally divided between North Raleigh and Western Wake depending on where people live. As we get closer to completion I am sure we will hear more discussions about the fairness / unfairness of this topic.

Cary News | Your letters: Oct. 10 (http://www.carynews.com/2010/10/10/21055/your-letters-oct-10.html - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 AM

372 posts, read 567,863 times
Beermat- thanks for your post! This is something I have been aware of for some time & it has irked me ever since learning of it

For them to toll this postion of 540 is just not right.Especially since is was constructed, as you mention, without using the bond money it should remain TOLL FREE!

Is there any remote chance this can be changed?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 AM

849 posts, read 870,720 times
I don't think it's unfair at all. The number of people in west and south Wake paying taxes in the 1980s (even in the early 1990s) was microscopic compared to the number of people in north Wake. Or, to put it differently, people in north Wake waited a very long time to get I-540... many of them since the 1970s.

On a similar schedule, NCDOT would eventually get around to building 540 in west and south Wake.. probably 10-15 years from now. If you want to wait that long, then fine -- get the toll project stopped. But if you want your road faster than we in north Wake got ours, pay the tolls.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 AM

518 posts, read 621,167 times
I don't really think it is unfair to tax one portion and not the other, it is "unfair" to tax it at all. I mean, why fixate on just the untolled portion of 540? There are new roads being built and improvements being made all over the state that aren't incurring tolls. I don't drive on either section, but I will (hopefully) benefit, toll-free, when the I-40 widening is completed.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:42 AM

8,532 posts, read 12,739,695 times
The letter writer is wrong. There is no section of "Interstate 540" from NC55 to I-40. There is a section of NC 540, and I assume that's what he's referring to. It was designated as a state route when that segment was first built for the very purpose of making it a toll road in the future.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM

461 posts, read 627,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I don't think it's unfair at all. The number of people in west and south Wake paying taxes in the 1980s (even in the early 1990s) was microscopic compared to the number of people in north Wake. Or, to put it differently, people in north Wake waited a very long time to get I-540... many of them since the 1970s.

On a similar schedule, NCDOT would eventually get around to building 540 in west and south Wake.. probably 10-15 years from now. If you want to wait that long, then fine -- get the toll project stopped. But if you want your road faster than we in north Wake got ours, pay the tolls.
By this logic than people in Southern Wake's tax dollars shouldn't be used to repair northern 540. It's one Wake county - free 540 for all!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:56 AM

8,532 posts, read 12,739,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
By this logic than people in Southern Wake's tax dollars shouldn't be used to repair northern 540. It's one Wake county - free 540 for all!
Perhaps we should divide the county into several Highway Usage Zones that emphasize community roads.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 AM

9,091 posts, read 18,914,002 times
You can't argue which taxpayer paid for what project like the letter author tries to do. The gasoline tax we all pay is used to fund road projects statewide. It isn't allocated to the county you reside in. So arguing that southern wake residents paid for the Northen Part of I-540 isn't really valid.

At the end of the day there just isn't any money to do the rest of I-540 without a bond and toll. The cost of the materials and construction alone has increased 10 fold since the first part of I-540 was built so the newest parts will be the most expensive parts. Arguements of equity don't stand up to the reality of the situation.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM

518 posts, read 621,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Perhaps we should divide the county into several Highway Usage Zones that emphasize community roads.
Prom Queen!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 AM

3,711 posts, read 3,512,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The letter writer is wrong. There is no section of "Interstate 540" from NC55 to I-40. There is a section of NC 540, and I assume that's what he's referring to. It was designated as a state route when that segment was first built for the very purpose of making it a toll road in the future.
But, tax money still paid for the section between hwys 54 and 55 and now, with no reimbursement to the state, it is being converted to toll.
Since the segment from I40 to hwy 55 cost $105 million and was 5 miles, it is safe to say (at least for arguments sake) that the cost of the 2 miles from 54 to 55 is approximately $40 million. This is money that came from the project budget for division 5 in the DOT "equity" formula.

That $40 million could have been used to improve several other triangle area toads as it is well more than either of the recent Davis drive or highway 55 projects.

I don't have anything against toll roads per SE, but this os flat out stealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary