Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Ooh, a sweeping generalization about the local hicks. How original.
Does a "genaralization" necessarily make something wrong? I don't have time to cite the specific race/gender/sexual orientation of my sample size.

I'm sorry, but that has been my experience. I'm not saying that ALL people think that way, those I've met do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 AM

963 posts, read 2,410,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
My guess is that the main cause of this is that the ratio of high to low paying jobs has gone down over the last 25 years. The rapid growth over the last 10 or so years has increased the need for retail, restaurant, construction, landscaping, etc, but the number of high paying jobs has remained steady.
Interestingly, the Triangle has higher educational attainment levels than most metros of similar size. This would suggest that proportionally, there's an unusual number of people in the Triangle taking survival jobs, or otherwise working far below their actual educations, to live here. And that would suggest that the oft-touted high performance of the local economy is somewhat illusory or transient.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Interestingly, the Triangle has higher educational attainment levels than most metros of similar size. This would suggest that proportionally, there's an unusual number of people in the Triangle taking survival jobs, or otherwise working far below their actual educations, to live here. And that would suggest that the oft-touted high performance of the local economy is somewhat illusory or transient.

From what I've seen people get educated here, then move to DC, Seattle, Bay Area, and Texas to find their fortunes. Which makes sense when you consider the tech focus of these areas.

Map: Where Americans Are Moving

Map: Where Americans Are Moving - Forbes.com

I do remember reading (or perhaps hearing on NPR) that the Triangle has one of the highest rates of underemployed and people working outside of their area of study in the country. Perhaps the highest.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:41 AM

406 posts, read 787,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I do remember reading (or perhaps hearing on NPR) that the Triangle has one of the highest rates of underemployed and people working outside of their area of study in the country. Perhaps the highest.
shhhh
we're not supposed to talk about that.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times
I think the important point that some people are missing here is that this is talking about changes in income over a 25 year period - it is not meant to be a snapshot of where we are at today.

Clearly, incomes in Raleigh are significantly higher than they are in El Paso TX, the city ranked number one in this list.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Look at teacher salaries ... Look at Nursing, Almost every salary is awful from the wast coast and the northeast. It stinks money wise around here. People move here from high pay areas and boy is it sticker shock. Oh we have not had a teaching raise now for the past two years. Oh yes and there is NO UNION down here for teachers.... No collective bargaining.

BUT yet all of these people are flocking here for the so called cheaper living.....

Well duh, with cheaper living comes lower wages. You people need to do your research before moving and then sitting here and complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
My guess is that the main cause of this is that the ratio of high to low paying jobs has gone down over the last 25 years. The rapid growth over the last 10 or so years has increased the need for retail, restaurant, construction, landscaping, etc, but the number of high paying jobs has remained steady.
Or could it be that all these high paying jobs are being shipped overseas? Funny how that works huh?

I know several people in the tech field that were at places like nortel and ericsson making 120k or so. Now they are working in places that are totally unrelated to their field, making 80k or so. But they of course don't count in unemployment numbers because at least they have a job. They also aren't stupid enough to try and hold out for a job paying them what they should be making in this economy.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 10-18-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 06:24 AM

143 posts, read 363,713 times
Many employers do include cost of living in determine wage - two identical jobs (in terms of duties/responsibilities/expectations) in NC and NY are going to have different wages due to the COL. To quote a previous responder, DUH!! The taxes are lower here, there are no toll roads in the state (anyone here commute with EZPass before? ouch to your wallet!), housing costs are lower (though the gap has narrowed...), gas is lower, cost of energy is lower, etc etc. I've hired people in both geographical areas, and the main thing I have grappled with is what exactly is a fair wage for jobs. It's subjective - the employee wants as much as possible, the employer has financial parameters and equity issues (with other jobs) to consider. I've hired receptionists, whose job is to answer a 3 line phone 8 hours a day, and nothing more, and they have expected (more than one hiring candidate!) 50K. in NC. In this economy. Really. Now that is a bit much for the level of duties and responsibilities in either market. Is it fair that the level of responsibilities and duties have varying value? You bet. And, bracing for impact with this comment, I have found that no matter where you work/hire there are people who expect to be paid just for showing up, and they expect raises and higher salaries than their jobs warrant. in my 20 years experience, I've noticed this is getting worse. So what we have here is reality check-- wages are stagnant and expectations are not. Do these rankings really mean anything? Who knows !

Old 10-29-2010, 09:58 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Interesting thread. If I were to make a guess it could have to do with something else. I'm originally from TN but live in California and have been thinking of moving back closer. Austin, Raleigh, Nashville, and Atlanta have all been on the possible relocation list for years. That said- I tried my luck at applying for jobs in those cities including aggressively last year during a 4 month stint that I was laid off. Absolutely zero result. I'm a very qualified, experienced professional.

Turns out A LOT of other people from other states are doing the same thing. Lots of people trying to move away from wherever to escape high prices and stuff in the hopes of buying a "cheap" home in Nirvana-aka- most of the Southeast. Thus there's fierce competiton for jobs. A lot of the jobs I was applying for paid less than 50% of what I had been making. I would expect that but in some cases the salary was barely above entry level. The competition for these jobs was very fierce. I've even read a lot of stories about people moving to these cities without a job- in some cases before selling the old house. Thus there's this situation where people are clamoring for lower paying jobs to begin with and thus there's perhaps less reason to pay more since so many people will gladly take whatever they're given. This in turn could depress wages.

Anyway, that's my one wild guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary