Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

NewUser...according to city data...you joined in December 2006. I don't do much math but when December 2010 rolls around, you will have been here FOUR YEARS. ALMOST 4 years, not 5!!! Of course, you could have been a lurker for a year and then you'd be accurate...almost 5 years. I say that because I've been here about as long as I remember when you appeared! So, which is it? Almost 5 or almost 4?

No matter which one it was, I don't think it was ALL wasted!!! Ha ha ha (can't find my laughing face)!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
NewUser...according to city data...you joined in December 2006. I don't do much math but when December 2010 rolls around, you will have been here FOUR YEARS. ALMOST 4 years, not 5!!!
You're right! For some reason I thought that I had discovered City-Data back when we lived in Dallas and were considering a move to Raleigh, but I guess we moved here first. My first post in Dec 2006 was a delightfully insightful post on the state of the Raleigh real estate market. . . . . something that we don't see here often enough Thanks for keeping me honest Vicki.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 PM

156 posts, read 423,581 times
Thanks for the input. New User, the one part I meant to say where can he work that would be 30 minutes or less of a commute from Holly Springs. I guess if Raleigh and RTP have very few IT jobs requiring a clearance, we might do better to look in Fayetteville.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna2trips View Post
The one part I meant to say where can he work that would be 30 minutes or less of a commute from Holly Springs. I guess if Raleigh and RTP have very few IT jobs requiring a clearance, we might do better to look in Fayetteville.
It's not that RTP and Raleigh have few IT jobs requiring a clearance, it's just that you'll be hard pressed to commute from HS to either RTP or downtown Raleigh in 30 min or less during rush hour.

And you never mentioned what kind of security clearance your SIL has. . . . . . is it DoD, or some private industry TS clearance? I've only had the DoD kind and that's all I'm familiar with (so that's what I've assumed for this thread), but I'm sure there must be other kinds. I know that there is a Raytheon office here in Raleigh that does government work, mainly communications.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:41 AM

New User, it is a TS clearance for Northrop Grumman who does mostly or all government contracts. Where would you suggest looking for homes to live within 30 min. commute to RTP if that is where the jobs would be available for him?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonna2trips View Post
Where would you suggest looking for homes to live within 30 min. commute to RTP if that is where the jobs would be available for him?
I think that you are putting words in my mouth again.

I have limited knowledge of where a person with IT experience could find a job that required a TS DoD clearance. I'm not in that field (DoD work) anymore and consequently have not shopped for jobs with companies that do DoD work in a LONG time.

However, in my recent job hunting experiences, I came across a few companies that do DoD work in the Triangle area. These are just a few and are not meant to be an exhaustive list.

1. Lord Corp in Cary.
2. iRobot in Durham
3. Research Triangle Institure in RTP
4. Tyco Electronice in Fuquay
5. Bennett Aerospace in Cary
6. Raytheon in Raleigh
7. Kidde Aerospace in Raleigh

These are a few. I'm sure that there are lots more. You can see that the ones I have seen are located throughout the Triangle.

This may be an obvious question, but if your SIL is a sharp guy, shouldn't he be doing this legwork? Once he finds a job, then he can find the place to live that is within 30 minutes of his job.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
This may be an obvious question, but if your SIL is a sharp guy, shouldn't he be doing this legwork? Once he finds a job, then he can find the place to live that is within 30 minutes of his job.
I can answer that. Mother in Laws like to "doublecheck".

Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,337 times
if zinner were the SIL, i would giggle so hard right about now. this thread has been an interesting development.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 AM

To New User:The reason that I am doing the research is because in addition to being a husband and father(to 2 year old triplets and a 3 month old), he works full-time, is doing self study of a Linux program, trying to make improvements to his home for selling next year, has church responsibilities, etc. My work has slow periods when I can take a few minutes to do this. And as you can imagine, my daughter keeps pretty busy. Thanks for the info as it can narrow down for us our home search area. I don't believe he should have difficulty getting a job as he is being recruited by a couple of companies here trying to lure him away from Northrop. FYI, we actually have a great MIL/SIL relationship. LOL!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
You might also try Novartis, they have a huge facility right there in Holly Springs. Not exactly IT, but it doesn't hurt to check. And then there is also Shearon Harris, again not sure what they would have in the IT field though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary