U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,038,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirc625 View Post
Realtor.com had some pretty nice houses in that range (3Bdrm, 2 Bath).

Don't mean to come across as harsh, but looking from outside the area, depending only on realtor photos doesn't tell the whole story. Have you visited the neighborhoods? looked at the nearby feeder streets, checked the crime stats? I'd double ck that first. Consider also the schools, if you have kids, plan to have kids. You can find that info under Wake county public schools.
Another posted suggested that you determine what salary range you'll be in here and then look at homes, sounds like a good plan. The ave home price here is either $245k or thereabouts??
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:21 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,445,350 times
Quote:

Greenville is OK, but there aren't alot of job prospects there. Plus the Mrs. doesn't want to be THAT close
I think you are going to find that to be the case for all of NC no matter what they are saying on the news. The IT area is very difficult to get into, there are so many unemployed that there are 300+ applicants for each position. I know people with 15+ years of IT experience and one has been unemployed for almost 2 years, another for 1 and a half.

Your wife can expect to make 10-12 dollars an hour as a receptionist, in fact, most of those kind of jobs want 3-5 years experience and are only paying 10.

Don't move here without a job unless you have a years worth of money to live off of.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:08 PM

23 posts, read 63,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
might you be willing to share the locations so that we could tell you if they were inside/outside the beltline? i'm guessing they are far outside the beltline, like in completely different townships.

$100-120K for a single-family home on a 1/4 acre of land is likely going to exist in places that will be a further drive from any IT positions that you may seek. your best bet would be to find a job & then select a home location from there based on how long you'd like to commute + your requirements for a home + your budget.
Here are some I've found that would be in consideration within the price range I spoke of. You can click the links for more info etc. I don't have kids and won't in the future so schools aren't an issue.

4036 Grandover Drive Raleigh, NC 27610 - $120K

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please do not post pictures without permission.

Moderator cut: Links to real estate sites are NOT allowed.

5309 Nesting Court Raleigh, NC 27610 - $120K

3236 Marcony Drive Raleigh, NC 27545 - $120K

This one would be what I am looking for...

1612 Winway Drive Raleigh, NC 27610 - $119K

I plug the address into Google maps to kind of look around at the neighborhood, but I don't live there so I don't know if these spots are good or not. There's more on the website. You can look at your leisure.

P.S. the 1/4 acre is more of a "wish" thing and not set in stone

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-22-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation (not your pictures) + links to real estate sites are NOT allowed.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 PM

50 posts, read 80,718 times
I grew up in the Ft Meade area, and lived on St. Paul St. downtown for several years. It's funny just how many people from the Baltimore-Washington area end up down here.

If you are willing to live on the east side of Raleigh, I think you might have a better chance of finding what you are looking for. That has advantages and disadvantages -- you would be closer to Greenville, but farther away from RTP, which would limit your job search a bit. Still, it might be worth looking into.

Welcome [almost] to the Triangle!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 PM

804 posts, read 1,746,774 times
Quote:
Here are some I've found that would be in consideration within the price range I spoke of. You can click the links for more info etc. I don't have kids and won't in the future so schools aren't an issue.

4036 Grandover Drive Raleigh, NC 27610 - $120K

Moderator cut: Copyright violation -- please do not post pictures without permission.

Moderator cut: Links to real estate sites are NOT allowed.

5309 Nesting Court Raleigh, NC 27610 - $120K

3236 Marcony Drive Raleigh, NC 27545 - $120K

This one would be what I am looking for...

1612 Winway Drive Raleigh, NC 27610 - $119K

I plug the address into Google maps to kind of look around at the neighborhood, but I don't live there so I don't know if these spots are good or not. There's more on the website. You can look at your leisure.

P.S. the 1/4 acre is more of a "wish" thing and not set in stone
i took a look at a few of them. i am somewhat familiar with the winway drive area as i just drove through there the other day out of curiosity because 3+ years ago we'd looked at a house in that neighborhood that had a vacant house across from it. in fact, a house that is STILL vacant & is bank-owned. the area for that house in particular is not a particularly great resale area. the houses are quite close together & you'd be doing well to find a lot that's remotely close to .25 acre as i'd be surprised if they exist.

the other houses aren't familiar to me other than the one on nesting court. the neighborhood is a transitional neighborhood -- for some this is their dream home neighborhood; for others this is simply a "starter home" neighborhood. i suspect if it's the house i've seen, it needs work. it may be a foreclosure that may have damage.

either way, finding jobs would be the first choice for you & your wife, as the commute would be dependent from there. the triangle is a very large & varied area. if you worked in RTP, these particular homes (winway & nesting) are easily a 45+ minute commute on a good day due to traffic. this is why we often stress people finding a job & location first in order to then select a home with a desired commute & other amenities in their budget.

we don't mean to seem unkind; we just would prefer to help one have correct & good information before completely uprooting & simply moving problems from one location to another while adding moving & relocation costs on top of it. we wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nicewarner View Post
If you are willing to live on the east side of Raleigh, I think you might have a better chance of finding what you are looking for. That has advantages and disadvantages -- you would be closer to Greenville, but farther away from RTP, which would limit your job search a bit. Still, it might be worth looking into
I've been hearing about Knightdale (various opinions) and think it may be a good fit. Some clarification about my background. I've been in the healthcare industry on both the DOD and civilian sides for 14 years doing administrative jobs. I kind of fell into the IT/Telecom (VoIP, networking) field with my current job which is still in the healthcare industry. So I'm not pinned down to finding a job in the RTP as I could also work in one of the area hospitals (WakeMed, Rex Med, Duke Raleigh Hospital) .

Old 10-22-2010, 09:01 PM

912 posts, read 815,430 times
We've just moved from MD and I love, love, love, love it here.

It's not dirt cheap, but for your money you'll definitely find a better/bigger house than in MD. The lots seem to be on the smaller side and often larger lots are very wooded.

As far as the other cost of living - income taxes and gas will be pretty much the same, insurance is cheaper, sales tax bigger, property tax lower (comparing to Howard county). But our grocery bill really skyrockted here. The average supermarket prices seem more expensive and there is even sales tax on groceries. check out Harris Teeter in Columbia, MD to know what to expect.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
we don't mean to seem unkind; we just would prefer to help one have correct & good information before completely uprooting & simply moving problems from one location to another while adding moving & relocation costs on top of it. we wish you the best of luck.
I appreciate all the help. I think we'll end up staying put until next year (our apartment lease is up in May) and this will give us time to look for new jobs in the area during the first quarter and save up for an out of state move (which can be a logistical nightmare in itself). We may just rent until we figure out the Triangle area and decide from there. Alot can change in 6 months

Old 10-22-2010, 09:14 PM

2,270 posts, read 8,103,642 times
A lot of people move the other direction too. We had to move because there were no jobs in my husband's field in NC. I run into people with NC connections all the time.

As others have said, I would not even consider moving without a job. The market is still much better in DC/Baltimore than in NC.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
We've just moved from MD and I love, love, love, love it here.
What part of MD did you come from and what made you move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary