U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:21 AM

29,465 posts, read 33,828,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirc625 View Post
My wife just lost her job and the cost of living in Maryland's Baltimore/DC Metro Area is outrageous. We are both considering relocating to the Raleigh area for the lower cost of living (rated #1 on many lists), economy and to be a bit closer to her parents. The drive from Raleigh to Greenville to see the in-laws would be 2 hours versus 6

I work in the IT/Telecom field and my wife does administrative/clerical work so I guess our household income would be in the 50K - 60K range.

I'd like to know if housing is better or worse inside or outside the beltline or is there good and bad in both areas? It's just me, my wife and our dog so were looking for a rancher on a 1/4 acre or so. I currently drive 20-30 minutes to work so being that same distance from the city is not a big deal. Any suggestions on houses in the 100K - 120K range in nice areas would be great!
Housing here is so much less compared to the DC/Balt corridor. With much equity you could pay cash here. If you have a mortgage their and can convert that equity to paying cash here you know the deal. You will find somethings more expensive and other things cheaper. You can probably buy a good school district here more easily than up their. You unemployment check will go further and you will find utilities much cheaper. The big thing will be the housing exchange factor. Not sure how much easier to find jobs in your field here will be as the unemployment rate up there is not as bad as it is across the country and you have a strong tech industry up there. However you have a strong field of tech employee's. The key thing to remember about housing is that if you pay the same here for a house as there you will get more house but will be paying the sames. If you buy the same house here you will be paying less if not cash. In your income range you might be buying a nicer neighborhood here. As others have said the cost of food food here is as much if not more in some cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 AM

29,465 posts, read 33,828,190 times
Quote:
My wife just lost her job and the cost of living in Maryland's Baltimore/DC Metro Area is outrageous. We are both considering relocating to the Raleigh area for the lower cost of living (rated #1 on many lists), economy and to be a bit closer to her parents. The drive from Raleigh to Greenville to see the in-laws would be 2 hours versus 6

I work in the IT/Telecom field and my wife does administrative/clerical work so I guess our household income would be in the 50K - 60K range.

I'd like to know if housing is better or worse inside or outside the beltline or is there good and bad in both areas? It's just me, my wife and our dog so were looking for a rancher on a 1/4 acre or so. I currently drive 20-30 minutes to work so being that same distance from the city is not a big deal. Any suggestions on houses in the 100K - 120K range in nice areas would be great!
Yes being closer to parents is very important. Especially as they age and you are good to be thinking about being closer. Is the taxation and population change up there a major factor?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 AM

3,612 posts, read 4,056,599 times
Default Weigh your options

Quote:
I appreciate all the help. I think we'll end up staying put until next year (our apartment lease is up in May) and this will give us time to look for new jobs in the area during the first quarter and save up for an out of state move (which can be a logistical nightmare in itself). We may just rent until we figure out the Triangle area and decide from there. Alot can change in 6 months
I lived in Crofton, MD for about 10 years until I sold my house and moved to Wake Forest, NC in 2004. Hard to believe I’ve been here six years already!

Anywho, as others have advised it's best to line up employment before relocating to Raleigh. The days of moving here and praying for the best just no longer make sense given the current economic reality.

Also, renting before buying is prudent as Raleigh and the surrounding areas of Wake and Orange County are so diverse that it may take you time to find the proper fit. For example, Wake Forest is a relatively Conservative area compared to Chapel Hill which is commonly regarded as being Progressive. Both are beautiful and neither is better than the other but take my word for it they’re EXTREMELY different from each other.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:11 PM

171 posts, read 372,697 times
Check out the King Charles neighborhood in downtown/East Raleigh. Our modest neighborhoods fit your description quite well. You can find your 1000 sq ft ranch on 1/4 acre in either the Lockwood, Windsor Park or Longview Park neighborhoods for anywhere from $80-150k. Right off the freeway, near downtown, near the dog park. We had similar criteria, and it nicely fits the needs of myself, my wife and our dog. We love it here.

Good luck!

Quote:

Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 PM

934 posts, read 830,654 times
Quote:
What part of MD did you come from and what made you move?
We lived in Glen Burnie, although we didn't really fit with the local demographics, if you know what I mean. We were trying to buy a house in MD since the Big Snow of 2010 but all we could afford in a decent school district were those awful old split level homes or foreclosures in need of major repair.

After there was a gun shooting across the street from our apartment complex, I accepted an offer from a company in Raleigh and in 2 weeks we packed and moved.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:31 PM

24 posts, read 48,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I lived in Crofton, MD for about 10 years until I sold my house and moved to Wake Forest, NC in 2004. Hard to believe I’ve been here six years already!

Anywho, as others have advised it's best to line up employment before relocating to Raleigh. The days of moving here and praying for the best just no longer make sense given the current economic reality.

Also, renting before buying is prudent as Raleigh and the surrounding areas of Wake and Orange County are so diverse that it may take you time to find the proper fit. For example, Wake Forest is a relatively Conservative area compared to Chapel Hill which is commonly regarded as being Progressive. Both are beautiful and neither is better than the other but take my word for it they’re EXTREMELY different from each other.

I believe I read a similar statement about Wake Forest in another thread. Can you (or anyone else) provide more explanation on what is meant by this. I'm doing research on the Triangle area (for a future relocation) and would like to hear more about Wake Forest, in light of these comments.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:19 AM

Default Nature's first green is the Golden Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcl1 View Post
I believe I read a similar statement about Wake Forest in another thread. Can you (or anyone else) provide more explanation on what is meant by this. I'm doing research on the Triangle area (for a future relocation) and would like to hear more about Wake Forest, in light of these comments.
In my humble opinion, Wake Forest is conservative in the sense that most people who choose to live here believe in preserving the tradition of “One Nation under God”. That becomes plainly obvious when you consider that Wake Forest is home to the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Politically speaking Wake Forest is Conservative because many residents are college educated and understand that government can not do everything for the governed. Many here in my beautiful adopted home town agree with the thoughts of Abraham Lincoln when he so eloquently stated “The worst thing you can do for others is the things they can and should be doing for themselves”.

Please don’t mistake Wake Forest as being intolerant though because the kind residents also believe in doing unto others as they’d have done unto themselves.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:21 PM

24 posts, read 48,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
In my humble opinion, Wake Forest is conservative in the sense that most people who choose to live here believe in preserving the tradition of “One Nation under God”. That becomes plainly obvious when you consider that Wake Forest is home to the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Politically speaking Wake Forest is Conservative because many residents are college educated and understand that government can not do everything for the governed. Many here in my beautiful adopted home town agree with the thoughts of Abraham Lincoln when he so eloquently stated “The worst thing you can do for others is the things they can and should be doing for themselves”.

Please don’t mistake Wake Forest as being intolerant though because the kind residents also believe in doing unto others as they’d have done unto themselves.
Interesting.....thanks.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Forest of Wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcl1 View Post
Interesting.....thanks.
No problem, glad I could help. If you come up with any other questions about Wake Forest please don’t hesitate to ask.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 PM

502 posts, read 1,084,256 times
DC/Baltimore has a far better job market for IT than the Triangle. There are quite a few out-of-work IT professionals already here that you will compete with. Though, there are always exceptions while job hunting.

Don't give up your current job until you secure one elsewhere. So many folks make that mistake.

Also be aware that while your "housing dollar" will go further here, your salary will also likely be lower. Those who have "made out" best were able to secure a "Northern" or "California" (for example) salary, telecommute to locations outside of NC, and/or sold a home with a great deal of equity.

I personally have not found the Triangle to be as "cheap" as folks think, and I make a fairly high salary.

I moved here after ~9 years in DC (and its 'burbs). Very happy, though I do sometimes regret that we have a smaller and less diversified job market than DC.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary