U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:35 AM

357 posts, read 1,048,664 times

Advertisements

Sadly no longer any direct flights to SLC from RDU. That would have been perfect. As far as I can see DEN is the only really good ski location with direct service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 03:14 PM
rfb

1,843 posts, read 5,008,481 times
As mentioned, Sugar or Wintergreen are your best bets. Both are ~3hrs from Raleigh. I tend to do more weekend day trips to Sugar, since I can also head to Beech if it is crowded.

There are day-trip buses that run during the week to Wintergreen from Raleigh. They leave early, but you can always (try to) sleep on the bus on the way up.

The skiing in the Southeast is not as challenging as to what you can find out West, but when there is fresh snow it isn't terrible. Just remember: bad skiing is better than no skiing .

Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM

475 posts, read 1,148,101 times
Snowshoe, we went last year during the blizzard and it was the BEST skiing experience I've ever had.

My worst experience was at Sugar Mountain, way to crowded and slushy.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 AM
T|K

868 posts, read 2,109,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
For weekdays, Wintergreen is definitely the best. Wintergreen is probably a ~4.5 hour drive from Raleigh (I get there in 4 from Durham).

Which way do you go for it to take 4 hours from Durham? We own a condo on the slopes there, 3 hours door to door from durham. Used to make it in 3.5 from Apex/Holly Springs, door to door.

Snowshoe is nicer than wintergreen, but you can't beat the drive to wintergreen and it is a pretty nice place.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 AM

451 posts, read 1,009,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
Snowshoe, we went last year during the blizzard and it was the BEST skiing experience I've ever had.

My worst experience was at Sugar Mountain, way to crowded and slushy.

Yet another vote for Snowshoe. You must have been there the same time we were. 24 inches of snow in a 24 hour period on top of a record winter, it was like skiing out west. Snowshoe has some longer runs on the Western Territory that are black and double black, definitely worth it. If you are used to skiing out west things are a level down here, ie blues in showshoe are comparable to greens out west, blacks in WV are blues out west and so on. If you can get out there during the week you'll find no crowds whatsoever.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:30 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,050,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Which way do you go for it to take 4 hours from Durham? We own a condo on the slopes there, 3 hours door to door from durham. Used to make it in 3.5 from Apex/Holly Springs, door to door.

Snowshoe is nicer than wintergreen, but you can't beat the drive to wintergreen and it is a pretty nice place.
The biggest problem with Wintergreen, or any of the other slopes besides Snowshoe, is that the conditions are generally crap. Once in a blue moon you get some decent snow and/or weather, but very rarely. Only worth it for a quick day trip, after you know they have been getting pounded, and all slopes are open.

But, for closer slopes, I'd say Winterplace has the best chance for decent conditions.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,127,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
The biggest problem with Wintergreen, or any of the other slopes besides Snowshoe, is that the conditions are generally crap. Once in a blue moon you get some decent snow and/or weather, but very rarely. Only worth it for a quick day trip, after you know they have been getting pounded, and all slopes are open.

But, for closer slopes, I'd say Winterplace has the best chance for decent conditions.
The conditions at Wintergreen are very easy to predict. If you have a solid week of overcast days with highs in the 20s, it will be great. Best place to go, in my opinion, for a western trip warm up. Snowshoe is far enough and expensive enough that I'd rather fly to SLC.

Not a fan of Winterplace at all, best place to go if you want to get wiped out by out of control skiers. Huge crowds (as you'd might expect since it is right on the interstate).

Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
T|K

868 posts, read 2,109,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post

Everybody's got a different opinion, but I disagree. Conditions on the Highlands are normally pretty good (and so is the rest of the park). I have gone to wintergreen every year, more than once, for the past 8 years, and always enjoy it. I will admit though the past few winters have been rough on most ski places that are close by.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,879 times
I'm getting ready for my first ski season in Raleigh. Although I have already booked a trip to Brekenridge I do look forward to getting in the car and driving up to WV for a weekend away.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:24 PM

545 posts, read 605,449 times
Snowshoe.

At 5 hours you pass the areas of Wintergreen and all the slush and ice. Then you ascend up into the mountains into a snow blitz. It's the best powder around, a world in it's own. Personally I had the best skiing there in Feb.

I have ski'd Heavenly Vally in Nv./Ca. and you are not going to get that type of snow around here but Snowshoe is the best it gets around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary