Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:13 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am having high anxiety over the Wake County Public School System issue. Here is our situation in a nutshell. Our oldest is 4.5 and will have her first birthday before the school year.

I am racing around as much as possible to find a house so I can get her enrolled in school, but I'm afraid. I just don't understand enough about the area or the busing or anything to really know what to do. I read a message on here last night where the poster said his/her child was moved three times in three years.

So, should I just give up on Wake County and try to buy in another County? Dh works at the airport so we had ruled out Johnston County, but now I'm reconsidering for our child's well-being. I mean, we just reunited as a family after five months (Dh was already here for work), then she will be starting school for the first time and then she may not be able to build friendships because she or her neighbor's kids may be in a different school every year?

I understand most of the schools are good so it doesn't matter when they are bussed, but isn't starting Kindergarten traumatic enough without the uncertainty of where one will be established? Please help a stressed out mom figure out a workable game plan here.

Thanks for "listening"
mj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:29 PM

273 posts, read 562,645 times
Hi MJD07,

I recommend buying a home close to a school you know is good or an area you like. If you don't know of good schools i know this forum has great threads on several areas. The new school board is getting rid of busing and going toward a community school stance. Which i think will be good. So chances are you will be sending your child to the school closest to you in a year or two at most.

Places i recommend to look for a home are below. But it depends on how much home you can afford.

Apex/Cary/Morrisville are very nice areas and tend to have good schools and your dh's commute would be minimal for the most part.

As for Raleigh look at West Raleigh through North/Northwest Raleigh. I recommend the area between Wade Avenue and Falls of Neuse Road and up. East of Falls of Neuse(Wake Forest is still not the best and when you get below Wade Avenue you get older homes in the Buck Jones Road section that is not the best either. ITB is also good if you can afford it.

Johnston County is a great also. Your dh won't have too bad a commute and you can get more house for your money and a little more land. I have friends in the Riverwood Subdivision in Clayton and enjoy it. They have schools right in the development along with pools, golf, an athletic club ets.

Happy Searching!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
If stability is a high need for you, I would suggest that you NOT buy in Wake County.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Thanks to you both for taking the time to respond. I am going to look in Clayton as well. Maybe I would feel differently if I wasn't used to being at home with my babies and they were already in school before we moved. Right now, I'm still dealing with the shock that my "baby" is almost old enough to go to school!

Thanks again.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM

574 posts, read 1,209,155 times
I'm probably going to get slammed for saying this, but IMO, choose a house you like in a neighborhood you like and don't worry so much about the school. The elementary schools in Wake Co. are just NOT that different! Unless you are intent on settling in a very urban area, the rest is a homogeneous yuppieville. And your neighbors will be in the same node as you are, so they will go to the same school.

Work with a good realtor and find a home you all love, get involved in your child's class and get to know your child's teacher. Even if you don't end up enrolling until the day before school starts, your school will be the same cookie cutter experience as if you planned it out precisely and painstakingly, house by house.

Seriously, don't let them scare you off! It's *nice here. You'll be hard pressed to find "not nice". Really, you'd have to go out of your way to find "not nice".

*Nice may or may not be represented on City Data, however.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:13 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall View Post
I'm probably going to get slammed for saying this, but IMO, choose a house you like in a neighborhood you like and don't worry so much about the school. The elementary schools in Wake Co. are just NOT that different! Unless you are intent on settling in a very urban area, the rest is a homogeneous yuppieville. And your neighbors will be in the same node as you are, so they will go to the same school.

Work with a good realtor and find a home you all love, get involved in your child's class and get to know your child's teacher.
I agree with this 100%!

Find a neighborhood that you LOVE as that is where your child will spend his/her freetime playing with friends.

All of your neighbors will be zoned to the same school as well, even if you are rezoned, so those friends that she makes in the neighborhood will be her stability.

And I cannot stress enough to VOLUNTEER at your childs school if you have the time and you want a great experience. I volunteer as much as I can (once a week or so) and know my children's teachers well. I know my children's school friends and I get the "insider" information on how they are doing without having to request a conference. It breaks down the wall of "formality" with the teacher and they feel they can share with me little tidbits, concerns, successes, assignment information..etc about my child when they see me in the school.

Good luck with everything!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:

Work with a good realtor and find a home you all love, get involved in your child's class and get to know your child's teacher. Even if you don't end up enrolling until the day before school starts, your school will be the same cookie cutter experience as if you planned it out precisely and painstakingly, house by house.

Seriously, don't let them scare you off! It's *nice here. You'll be hard pressed to find "not nice". Really, you'd have to go out of your way to find "not nice".

I was going to post the exact same thing!!!

Vicki

Old 05-25-2010, 05:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:

I totally agree as well.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I agree with HollyMarshall, too.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:49 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,888 times
I 6th holly Marshall's sentiments. I know that may seem pointless but I think it's important to see that it's a variety of people, from all over the county, who feel this way. My child was reassigned to a new school between k and 1st but there were 200 kids moved from the one school to the second one. All of our neighbors were reassigned too. There were lots of familiar faces at the new school. Very rarely are just a few kids moved at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary