U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,959,541 times

Advertisements

My daughter is almost two, and she loves exploring new things. Last year, Halloween wasn't much of an event except for a few cute pics of her dressed up as a dinosaur and looking strangely at all the weirdos walking around, but since neither of us had much childhood tradition, we wanted to create one for her starting now.

We ended up going to Vollmer Farm in Bunn, NC.

Welcome to Vollmer Farm

We've been there several times before, for berry picking or just to hang out with friends, but this time we visited "The Back Forty" acres which has a ton of fun activities for kids to do.

We went on the "hayride" which is a tractor which pulls a large passenger cabin similar to a homemade train car with no windows out to the back of the property. It was a nice ride.

At the back they've got beautiful fields of sunflowers, all in bloom right now, along with small lakes and ponds, and of course all the attractions.

When you arrive, you pay admission and go on in. First thing we saw was a "cow ride" which is another tractor pulling little 1-person 2-wheeled cabs which kids love to ride in. My daughter saw it and immediately indicated she wanted to go, so we did. The line was long, and we got up to the front but didn't make the cut, and when it left, she cried like crazy...once I convinced her it was coming back, she was happy again and we played on the playground nearby until it was back. She sat in my lap while we rode on one of the bigger cars and had a BLAST. The driver takes you around in circles, sometimes pretty quick, and she loved it.

Then we went to play in a different playground which had "John Deere" style tricycles, very large home built structures like a boat, a train, a car, and other stuff. She enjoyed watching the older kids run around and eventually noticed the huge 2500 square foot bouncing pillow. This thing is FUN for all ages. My wife and I each took a hand and jumped while she giggled and laughed. I didn't see anyone out there not having fun, and this includes all ages.

There was a bonfire nearby and they've got Saturday night movies and "campfire singalong" which we couldn't stay for.

After the jumping, we went into the corn maze which she had fun in also. You collect colors on the tips of each of your fingers to solve a puzzle at the end.

It was getting late, so we headed back to the parking area, picked out some Thanksgiving items from the store, a large (and small, for my daughter) pumpkin, and headed home.

I'll try to post some photos but most of them contain photos of us, so obviously for privacy reasons I'll avoid posting those.

I thought others would like to hear about this - we really, really had a great time and will be going each year from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:23 PM

8,263 posts, read 21,803,020 times
It's fun but ENTIRELY too expensive for families! $60.00 bucks for a family of 4?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 PM

36 posts, read 87,649 times
I agree that it is a great farm but way too expensive!! It looks like fun but $60.00 for a family of 4 is too much for a playground! I think it is ridiculous that they make the adults pay $15.00 each to go on the playground. My kids were disappointed that we didn't go on the playground but I couldn't justify paying that much, especially after we just spent $40 on pumpkins there.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 AM

I agree the pricing needs work - no argument there, especially after having to drive 40 minutes to get there in the first place...

For us, once a year isn't that bad. It's not like we are going every weekend. I find it nice to do something unique and different from the standard old thing that most people do.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 AM

578 posts, read 2,783,975 times
The pricing of Vollmer caused us to to go Hill Ridge instead. Not as large, but much more modern. Actual bathrooms with running water. Paved sidewalks. Affordable food. A pumpkin is included in the $10 admission. Kids had a ton of fun.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,454,390 times
We go to Vollmer, too. We also go strawberry picking each spring. I, too, cringe at the price (we had SIX with us yesterday), but they run plenty of specials--there was a scouts get in free day, and I've got 2 of those, so if we'd gone then we'd have saved. There's a teacher appreciation day and a veterans' appreciation day, too.

We also went to Hill Ridge too (usually go to both or alternate them annually). Hill Ridge is nice, but it was important to me for my kids to see the farm with the actual plants in the ground--you cut your own pumpkin right off the vine--I want them to see where things come from, and going to a working farm is a great way to do this!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:05 AM

Good feedback from gastric and annesg - maybe we'll have to check out Hill Ridge also, but I'm with annesg on the whole teaching the kids where actual food comes from. I remarked to my neighbor, who joined us, "my daughter will probably be one of the only kids in kindergarten to know where her food comes from and she won't answer 'Kroger' when asked."

Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 AM

374 posts, read 993,833 times
We love Vollmer Farm. I grew up near Rocky Mount, and we'd go to Vollmer to pick berries.

DH and I like it now, but we don't have kids. We like to be able to pick our own pumpkin without having to pay an upfront admission for areas we won't use. I think the store they have is cute, and have been able to pick up a few Christmas gifts from there.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 AM

8,263 posts, read 21,803,020 times
There are plenty of ways around here to teach kids about farming without spending any money at all. There are many CSA's around here where you can go and help out with the garden and take your own food home!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
There are plenty of ways around here to teach kids about farming without spending any money at all. There are many CSA's around here where you can go and help out with the garden and take your own food home!
Agreed, but we found Vollmer fun, despite the cost. It wasn't purely for teaching farming - it was the whole experience. If it's too expensive for some folks, I can understand that. All I'm saying is, we enjoyed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary