U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM

814 posts, read 1,702,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I hope those of you planning trips instead of Christmas wrap SOMETHING up and give it to the poor kids. Or a few things. A favorite type of book. A framed photo of the whole family. A container of favorite candy. Something.

Otherwise, they'll be paying therapist bills when they grow up and realize, "Mom and Dad didn't give me anything for Christmas
Wow. I am assuming you are talking to me, as I am the only one who has said they are doing this. I am trying hard not to be offended by this.....Really? My kids are going to need therapy cause I didn't give them some plastic stuff for Christmas and gave them a trip instead? As I have been given "warnings" by the "moderator" for saying what I felt in the past, I will let this go......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,444,911 times
I never booed anyone but I have pooed them. To poo someone you put some dog crap in a bag with some wet leaves, Put the bag on the persons front porch and light the bag and ring doorbell. The person comes out and after seeing the bag is smoking he stomps on it,,,,,,,,sqeeeshing the dog poo out and onto his shoe.....Thats pooin

Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,581,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I just paid them today after they had several days to think about the deal! Oddly, they are more excited about the money than the thought of going out and getting candy. I did have to make it clear though that none of the money could be spent on candy...they agreed!!

Now, I am wondering how I could make a deal with them to skip all the Christmas hoop-la and go on a family vacation instead!
Wow! You paid off a 6 year old to give up Halloween. Dude, you better sock a few grand away now. Because that kid is going to hit you up for his therapy bill later when he realizes what he missed out on.

Or maybe, he'll grow up to be one of those people who as a hobby create Hollywood style props and turns his whole house into a scene straight out of a horror movie. You'll be an old dude, living with him, and screaming out the window "get those crazy kids off my lawn!" Which will just make the teenagers laugh because they'll think you are part of the set and are acting. LOL!

On second thought maybe you should sock the therapy money away to make sure you can afford a good old folks home.

BTW, this was all in good fun. I already know my kids will need therapy ... not over Halloween.... but probably over something else.

Enjoy the movie. Your Dentist will agree you did the right thing.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,581,965 times
NRG, I never heard of the boo thing until I had kids. It's a way to let the kiddos do a fun ring and run. My kids pick friends who have dogs that are like door bells. The love escaping before the dog comes to the door.

And as far as it being "one more thing".... Keep it simple people. We take a brown paper bag, draw some Halloween pictures on it, put a little of our Halloween candy that we were going to give out anyway and draw a special picture for the person. That's it. And the kids love the idea of ring and run and trying to figure out who booed them more than what is in the bag. Last year we got an excess of Halloween pencils and erasers during parties and trick or treating. I saved some of those for the boo bags this year. I also found some unused party favors that I dumped in there. I don't buy stuff for boo bags, but we boo, and the kids love it. It doesn't have to be expensive or really cost anything.

They are not going to remember what was in the bag. BUT they are totally going to remember running away from their friends house and hiding behind that bush. Or the year that they just could not figure out who booed them. It's about the traditions and memories.... not the stuff.

However you choose to spend Halloween, have fun making a memory with your loved one!

Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,848,402 times
Oh, don't be offended! Not meant that way.

However, as an experienced parent, I will tell you that it's AMAZING what grown kids will think about when they grow up...and think somehow you didn't parent correctly.

My adult kids, for example, are now horrified with what they wore as children. It was all namebrand regular normal clothing, from J.C. Penney's and other department stores. No loud colors or patterns. They always looked great. But they are now appalled with my fashion choices at the time.

I can't imagine the feedback I would have gotten if I'd PAID THEM OFF to forget the holidays! Or didn't do the traditional things -- having them unwrap presents at Christmas and going trick-or-treating at Halloween!

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Wow. I am assuming you are talking to me, as I am the only one who has said they are doing this. I am trying hard not to be offended by this.....Really? My kids are going to need therapy cause I didn't give them some plastic stuff for Christmas and gave them a trip instead? As I have been given "warnings" by the "moderator" for saying what I felt in the past, I will let this go......

Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,970,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
NRG, I never heard of the boo thing until I had kids. It's a way to let the kiddos do a fun ring and run. My kids pick friends who have dogs that are like door bells. The love escaping before the dog comes to the door.

And as far as it being "one more thing".... Keep it simple people. We take a brown paper bag, draw some Halloween pictures on it, put a little of our Halloween candy that we were going to give out anyway and draw a special picture for the person. That's it. And the kids love the idea of ring and run and trying to figure out who booed them more than what is in the bag. Last year we got an excess of Halloween pencils and erasers during parties and trick or treating. I saved some of those for the boo bags this year. I also found some unused party favors that I dumped in there. I don't buy stuff for boo bags, but we boo, and the kids love it. It doesn't have to be expensive or really cost anything.

They are not going to remember what was in the bag. BUT they are totally going to remember running away from their friends house and hiding behind that bush. Or the year that they just could not figure out who booed them. It's about the traditions and memories.... not the stuff.

However you choose to spend Halloween, have fun making a memory with your loved one!
When I was a kid we did similar stuff. It just so happens that we left VERY different objects at the door. Also, people usually wanted to find out who the culprit was, so they could wring their neck out!

I can tell you now, my parents didn't approve of those things! LOL

Old 10-27-2010, 01:13 PM

546 posts, read 1,463,894 times
I never heard of booing. What a very cool idea!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 PM

448 posts, read 583,545 times
Thumbs up We call it a visit from the Phantom here...

... in our corner of Glenwood-Brooklyn.

And even with no small children in our home, we loved it when we got our first visit last year. It just seemed like another cool thing about our very cool and friendly neighborhood. PDX mom is right... keep it simple! Then it stays fun.

And if you know the neighbors you are going to "visit" you can have some extra fun with it

Just scope out your line of escape first, you don't want to trip over a potted cypress, knock it over, skin your leg twice and aggravate your bad knee (cough.. cough..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post

Old 10-28-2010, 04:12 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,848,402 times
I actually wasn't responding to you in my other post. It was kwalk65 that I was responding to! So glad you let this go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
kwalk65's post:
Quote:
I just paid them today after they had several days to think about the deal! Oddly, they are more excited about the money than the thought of going out and getting candy. I did have to make it clear though that none of the money could be spent on candy...they agreed!!

Now, I am wondering how I could make a deal with them to skip all the Christmas hoop-la and go on a family vacation instead!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:59 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,313,594 times
There are so many things to do for Halloween in the area... kids don't have to trick or treat. And, if they do, as the parent, you can limit how much they do. Plus, many people give out plastic rings & toys, pennies, stickers & pencils.
You can later limit how much candy they eat, and dole it out little by little. You can throw the rest out, or donate it to the many local charities asking for candy donations. The kids love to dress up & visit the homes in the neighborhood. It's no great hardship to dump the candy later!

And as for the booing? There is a reason you are supposed to boo 2 other familes... Not everyone who is booed wants to then boo other neighbors. By booing 2 families, it keeps going. It's a relatively low cost way to show a "random act of kindness" to your neighbors. And no one will ever know if you don't boo in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary