Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times

Advertisements

I have family visiting from NY next week...I wanted to find out the best "day trip" to the beach recommendation. I live in Knightdale, Do I just get on 40 east and head to the coast? Do you suggest Wilmington? Is Myrtle Beach too far? Any suggestions would be great, but we are going for the day, no overnight stay.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Myrtle Beach is too far, IMO, for a day trip.

From Knightdale you can be in the surf at South Nags Head or Coquina Beach on the OBX in 3.5 hours. Good trip, and my favorite, particularly with a back-up driver.
Another 45 minutes will get you to Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and wide open beaches on Hatteras Island.

Wrightsville is the quick shot, just about 10 miles off the end of I-40 at Wilmington. Probably 2.5 hours one way.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,779 times
This is the ONE thing I'll miss about MA. Even living in the metrowest burbs, we can be at some beach or other in about an hour. Granted, if we want Plum Island or Duxbury or the outer Cape, it's much more than that (and comparable to the times listed above).

When we lived in Northern VA, we never went to the beach for the day.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 AM

thanks, I will google these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Myrtle Beach is too far, IMO, for a day trip.

From Knightdale you can be in the surf at South Nags Head or Coquina Beach on the OBX in 3.5 hours. Good trip, and my favorite, particularly with a back-up driver.
Another 45 minutes will get you to Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and wide open beaches on Hatteras Island.

Wrightsville is the quick shot, just about 10 miles off the end of I-40 at Wilmington. Probably 2.5 hours one way.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:57 AM

I understand...I grew up on Long Island, the beaches were at your disposal...I enjoyed them...but always like the backyard pool better...hehe my brother lives in a beach community on Long Island, so...I have to have a nice place to take everyone for the day when they visit next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfootma View Post
This is the ONE thing I'll miss about MA. Even living in the metrowest burbs, we can be at some beach or other in about an hour. Granted, if we want Plum Island or Duxbury or the outer Cape, it's much more than that (and comparable to the times listed above).

When we lived in Northern VA, we never went to the beach for the day.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 AM

34 posts, read 178,929 times
Ferrickhead28 and I have mentioned on other threads that we like going to Fort Fisher for the day. It's just beyond Wilmington, has public parking and bathing facilities, and a couple of museums (one civil war, one an aquarium). I also always love taking the short ferry ride over to Southport. There is a cute maritime museum, shops, and I like getting a coffee and swinging on the "porch" swings they have by the river.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd123 View Post
Ferrickhead28 and I have mentioned on other threads that we like going to Fort Fisher for the day. It's just beyond Wilmington, has public parking and bathing facilities, and a couple of museums (one civil war, one an aquarium). I also always love taking the short ferry ride over to Southport. There is a cute maritime museum, shops, and I like getting a coffee and swinging on the "porch" swings they have by the river.

Yep! I was just about to mention Fort Fisher!
I have a post I did yesterday titled, "Heading to the beach??" that gives directions and WHY you would want to pick Fort Fisher as a beach trip. Well, that is, if you want a place to park with excellent public restrooms, etc.
There is an aquarium next door and like JMD said, the ferry ride over to Southport sounds like alot of fun!

Take I-40 East straight down. Once you hit Wilmington, the interstate turns into regular roads, just keep going, you will see more signs in a few miles.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 AM

920 posts, read 2,813,454 times
Last Friday, we went to Atlantic Beach and Morehead City for the day. It was about three hours each way. Be sure to finish up your day at the Sanitary for dinner.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 PM

180 posts, read 662,535 times
I HIGHLY recommend Topsail Island. 2.5 hours from Raleigh (north of Wilmington). It's not crowded! If you want lots of people don't go there

Old 07-06-2007, 01:28 PM

28 posts, read 115,430 times
Wrightsville Beach is the quickest for a day trip-take I40, leave early-parking is tough to find after 10 am.. If you stay for dinner on the beach,try the Oceanic or leave the beach and just over the drawbridge try the Bridgetender-both are good eats. Or if you spend half a day on the beach, you can head over to Wilmington (15 MIN across the bridge) if you want to stroll the downtown shops,get a bite and look at the battleship. Either way, a great day! Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary