U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,057,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcorn View Post
Why are they only opening 3 lanes in the end, with a large shoulder (for expansion in the future)??? The future IS HERE NOW!! We need 4 lanes open per side!! We have a HUGE traffic problem NOW! Why not give us the 4 lanes that are currently there, instead of only 3 with a big shoulder. I really don't this logic!!!???
To me, it looks like they only built one extra lane on the inside. They've created the illusion that there are 4 lanes by the way they've drawn the lines on the temporary lanes, but you'll notice that there is no shoulder on the inside temporary lane and the outside temporary lane uses some of the old roadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,726,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
To me, it looks like they only built one extra lane on the inside. They've created the illusion that there are 4 lanes by the way they've drawn the lines on the temporary lanes, but you'll notice that there is no shoulder on the inside temporary lane and the outside temporary lane uses some of the old roadway.
Correct - the improvement brings the highway from four to six lanes. Three per side. From the DOT page:

"Work will include adding one 12-foot wide lane and one 12-foot wide shoulder in each direction of I-40, expanding the interstate from four to six lanes. The new shoulders will be built to the same depth as the roadway, which will allow for easier expansion of the highway in the future. The bridges carrying I-40 over Wade Avenue and U.S. 1/64 will also be widened so they will have the capacity for eight lanes in anticipation for future widening along this section of I-40. "

Frank

Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,167,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcorn View Post
Why are they only opening 3 lanes in the end, with a large shoulder (for expansion in the future)??? The future IS HERE NOW!! We need 4 lanes open per side!! We have a HUGE traffic problem NOW! Why not give us the 4 lanes that are currently there, instead of only 3 with a big shoulder. I really don't this logic!!!???
It's only ever been planned and built as an expansion from 2 to 3 lanes.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,057,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
"Work will include adding one 12-foot wide lane and one 12-foot wide shoulder in each direction of I-40, expanding the interstate from four to six lanes. The new shoulders will be built to the same depth as the roadway, which will allow for easier expansion of the highway in the future. The bridges carrying I-40 over Wade Avenue and U.S. 1/64 will also be widened so they will have the capacity for eight lanes in anticipation for future widening along this section of I-40. "
OK, so now I've changed my opinion since I've read this. Does this mean that all they'll have to do is re-stripe the highway . . . turning the shoulder into a lane. . . . and ta-da. . . . . we now have 8 lanes?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:28 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,767,053 times
^^^No, they'll have to add a fresh set of inside shoulders and do some other work, but at least they're looking ahead now so that they won't have to totally redo things to move to four lanes.

The initial plan was to go straight to four lanes in each direction, but the money wasn't there.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2007/09/...0-stretch.html

Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 AM

30 posts, read 76,943 times
I remember the last time they widened it... seems like they only finished about 3 years ago... hope it goes better, since the last one had to be paved with asphalt over the new concrete pavement

Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh-lvr View Post
I remember the last time they widened it... seems like they only finished about 3 years ago... hope it goes better, since the last one had to be paved with asphalt over the new concrete pavement
Not quite - they had poured concrete over the old lanes to match the new lane, and improperly installed it such that it had to be removed and replaced with asphalt, which they then applied over the new lane as well. Still, NCDOT did manage to muck it up pretty good.

I hadn't realized the shoulder on the new project was being built to road specifications. It does sort of beg the question - why not use it as a lane?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,767,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I hadn't realized the shoulder on the new project was being built to road specifications. It does sort of beg the question - why not use it as a lane?
Because Interstate highway standards require a minimum inside shoulder of 4 feet, with 10 feet being the standard for Interstates of three or more lanes as this will be. Areas meeting certain thresholds for high truck traffic should have 12-foot inside shoulders, and shoulder requirements are less stringent for mountainous terrain, although I don't believe the former (and certainly not the latter) apply in this case.

Waivers can be granted, but there seems to be no reason why would be available for this stretch of I-40...plenty of median space and level ground makes it easy to meet federal standards.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:55 PM

7,702 posts, read 10,079,363 times
Hey, at least they built the bridges so they don't have to be completely reworked when it is widened again. For once DOT seems to be thinking ahead.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Because Interstate highway standards require a minimum inside shoulder of 4 feet, with 10 feet being the standard for Interstates of three or more lanes as this will be. Areas meeting certain thresholds for high truck traffic should have 12-foot inside shoulders, and shoulder requirements are less stringent for mountainous terrain, although I don't believe the former (and certainly not the latter) apply in this case.
I had thought the reference was to outside shoulders being built with an eye toward future expansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary