U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you like about living in this county in NC
I like 1 50.00%
I also Like 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM

982 posts, read 2,147,207 times

Advertisements

Lived in NH for a brief time. Been here a long time now. Would trade places with you in a second if I could tomorrow. Much of what the previous posters who want to go back north have said, I agree. I was born and raised in a cold climate and just cannot get used to the summers here.

When winter and the holidays arrive and you're just getting into the winter mode (breathe the fresh air for a change), and then the first part of February warm days begin occasionally and you think, oh, no, it's going to be here again. Soon. It can be a welcoming sign or a disappointment, depending on your preferences.

NH is enchanting. The small villages, the short drive to the coast, mountains, into VT or ME. Can't beat it. I have never experienced a more breathtaking fall than in NH.

Friends in NH have lost value in their homes, and prices are not much different there than here. To me, the cost of living here is more than NH. Yes, they have high property taxes there but we have high lots of other things. This area has uncontrolled sprawl. I've seen it change dramatically in over a decade.

Would take a cold six months over a hot six months anytime. Headed back north as soon as possible. Just sayin'.

best,
toodie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 AM

5 posts, read 5,269 times
Thanks for the long post no apologies necessary this is the help I need. I feel better about area now.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:29 AM

5 posts, read 5,269 times
Default Its the collective perspectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree negativity and differences of opinion are two different things. NC is very nice but it would be a higher cost of living for many. That doesn' t make it a bad place at all, but if COL is high on someone's criteria it has to be considered alot.
This is an awesome forum you cant get this insight anywhere and hearing the good and bad truths helps alot.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:32 AM

93 posts, read 256,487 times
Just moved here 2 months ago from SE MA. You couldn't pay me enough money to move back to MA. Now that I am gone from there I realize just how much I didn't like it there. I live in Chapel Hill and there are plenty of tree-huggin' folk here, so beware.

I lived in an affluent town in MA and the cost of living here makes living there look like a bargain. The only saving will be in overall energy costs–heating, elec, natural gas/propane, petrol. Housing is so expensive here, however you do get more for your money. Taxes are the killer, they're everywhere, under the sink, in the glove compartment of the car, on the grocery store shelves. They hide and jump out of nowhere when you least expect it . . . and they're poised to go up again after this week's election.

I recommend you have firmer criteria before moving anywhere. Why do you want to move? Look in side of yourself and not externally, then visit a few places. This area doesn't sound like the right place for you based on the criteria you've provided.

Good luck in your search!

Old 10-30-2010, 01:44 PM

29 posts, read 26,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Facts may not always be what you want to hear, but they're still facts. Hot is still hot, whether you like it or I don't.
There is no fact that it is hot or cold. There is fact that it is higher than 90 or lower than 30, but hot or cold is completely subjective to the individual.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone back in the summer. It was in the 90's and she was going on about how she could not stand it. I said I felt comfortable in it. She kept going on about how there is no way I could feel comfortable. She told me I was hot and there was no way for me to cool off. She wasn't talking about her situation. She was telling me that I was wrong in my statement that I felt comfortable and did not need to cool off. It was an amazing conversation about how wrong I was about how the temperature felt to me because someone else who hates it above 70 said so.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 PM

635 posts, read 1,614,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3streamer View Post
There is no fact that it is hot or cold. There is fact that it is higher than 90 or lower than 30, but hot or cold is completely subjective to the individual.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone back in the summer. It was in the 90's and she was going on about how she could not stand it. I said I felt comfortable in it. She kept going on about how there is no way I could feel comfortable. She told me I was hot and there was no way for me to cool off. She wasn't talking about her situation. She was telling me that I was wrong in my statement that I felt comfortable and did not need to cool off. It was an amazing conversation about how wrong I was about how the temperature felt to me because someone else who hates it above 70 said so.
Yippee skippy! You've found it acceptable, and I haven't. Back to different opinions. Contribute your opinions on the temperature to the OP, don't pick apart mine. Oh and try reading the rest of what I said. If you enjoy the extreme difference from a NH winter, his mileage may vary. READ: He may like it.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:31 PM

635 posts, read 1,614,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3streamer View Post
There is no fact that it is hot or cold.
Oh and the facts comment was regarding the expense of here vs. there. But thanks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary