U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 10,520 times

Advertisements

My thread about a particular bus ride service to the Rally to Restore Sanity was closed.

Saw the other topic about the Rally, thought people might want to know about an option I recently found for getting there. I'm not connected with it other than the fact I'll probably be riding the bus. And I see people promoting things all over the place here. Internet service, tailors, Redboxes, etc. Actually, this site seems to be custom made specifically for advertising services and goods and things. It's just usually done in a way that some asks and another person provides the recommendation. It seems like if I posted as a response to the other Rally topic then it would have been okay (since that thread does include links); is that right?

Sn: I thought maybe the Happenings threads were excluded from the No Advertising rules, but no. The first post says "(Please remember that City-Data's Terms of Service do not allow advertising!)" Yet the threads are full of descriptions for events and links to their sites, similar to what I was doing. I guess I'm confused on what counts as advertising.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,204,906 times
You may wish to inquire in the "About the Forum" forum, which is the place for discussion of how and why City-Data operates the way it does.

Note that generally discussion of moderator activity is prohibited.

My guess is that because it was your first and only post, it was viewed skeptically and judged to likely be spam.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:36 PM

31,677 posts, read 55,496,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aXemeXa View Post
My thread about a particular bus ride service to the Rally to Restore Sanity was closed.

Saw the other topic about the Rally, thought people might want to know about an option I recently found for getting there. I'm not connected with it other than the fact I'll probably be riding the bus. And I see people promoting things all over the place here. Internet service, tailors, Redboxes, etc. Actually, this site seems to be custom made specifically for advertising services and goods and things. It's just usually done in a way that some asks and another person provides the recommendation. It seems like if I posted as a response to the other Rally topic then it would have been okay (since that thread does include links); is that right?

Sn: I thought maybe the Happenings threads were excluded from the No Advertising rules, but no. The first post says "(Please remember that City-Data's Terms of Service do not allow advertising!)" Yet the threads are full of descriptions for events and links to their sites, similar to what I was doing. I guess I'm confused on what counts as advertising.
If your very first post is a recommendation or link to a service, you may be erased.
CD tries to protect against one hit wonder spammers.

Oh, and it is not particularly custom made for advertising. "Sharing" among friends is more like it.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM

ok that makes sense i guess. it's my first time posting here but i lurk here sometimes.
anyway it's not a big deal, just thought some people might be interested, I won't pursue it any further.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 PM

31,677 posts, read 55,496,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aXemeXa View Post
ok that makes sense i guess. it's my first time posting here but i lurk here sometimes.
anyway it's not a big deal, just thought some people might be interested, I won't pursue it any further.
Gee. Hang out and contribute to the community!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 PM

I'll try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary