U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,923 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, this is a little embarrassing, but recently it's become clear that I have bed bugs!! I hate pretty much all insects, but these things freak me out to the point where I've ended up sleeping on my couch the last few nights. How does one go about getting rid of this kind of thing? Are there any services offered locally that can come out and remove them? Am I going to have to buy a new mattress?

Please help!!

Thanks,
Ross
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM

14 posts, read 26,955 times
Hi Ross,
I live in Raleigh and I hate bugs too (I'm a girl) and have had great luck with Triangle Pest Control. I had a serious ant problem about a month ago and they took care of it very quickly. I had also heard a lot about bed bugs on the news, so I had them do a check for those too (luckily I didn't have them). They CAN deal with them though. You can search for them on Google or go to their site here: Raleigh Pest Control Exterminator Apex, Cary, NC | Ants, Termites & Spiders

Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,923 times
Thanks for the quick response! I will check them out.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:04 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,978,303 times
I've heard that the worst thing you can do is switch where you sleep. They're gonna follow you and then you won't even have a couch to sit on because they will take it over. I had a scare with this a while back, and did some research.

I'm sure you can find an exterminator that will help, but here's what I found for home remedies.

- they make mattress covers for this kind of thing, get one, and seal the zipper with tape. If they're in your mattress, they aren't getting out now.
- take apart your bed. If you can, just ditch your headboard for a while.
- inspect your box spring for any signs of bugs or rips/tears where they can enter in
- get some spray from lowes and spray every nook and cranny of your bed frame, then re-assemble
- when you get your bed back together, put all the legs of the bed into containers with soapy water (bugs climb up the legs to get to your bed, when they hit the soapy water, they cannot continue)
- make sure your bed does not touch anything else in your room (walls, nightstands, curtains, etc...)
- make sure your sheets don't touch the floor when you sleep

so that's basically phase 1... now, in theory, no bugs can get to you in your sleep sine they have no path onto your bed. They cannot jump or fly, and you've cut off their walking route. So now they cannot bite/feed on you. Of course, if you have a dog, this complicates things. They prefer humans but when they get hungry they'll probably get desperate and go after fido.

Now you just need to be diligent about spraying the rest of your room. Take apart your night stands and dresser and spray everything. Spray all baseboards and crown mouldings. Basically anything that has a crack in it, needs to be sprayed. Spray every few days. They can live up to a year without feeding, so don't just think that cutting off their supply (you) will completely solve it.
step 4, wash sheets in hot water.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:33 PM

117 posts, read 224,427 times
Yes, these are a pain. If you rent, contact your landlord, they MAY have an obligation to arrange and pay for the visit, which can be VERY costly AND may require MULTIPLE visits depending upon severity! (this is the case where I am at the moment, Atlanta GA. I havnt had the chance to review NC rules/leases etc so check that).

I recently used Orkin to treat 3 units. It was more costly than most but included free return visits which is worth it's weight in gold. We had to pull the carpet up and detach all the electrical socket plates. Bedbugs are attracted to the heat, moist dark crevices in your home. (ie., mattresses, carpet padding, etc. etc).

Be prepared to wash AND dry everything in extremely hot water and dry on the highest heat setting. The heat is what kills off the bed bugs (in addition to the chemical).

Do some research on the procedure and shop around for the best price.

So far, even though Orkin was the most expensive, they did the job and anhilated 3 EXTREME infestations.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:37 PM

117 posts, read 224,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I've heard that the worst thing you can do is switch where you sleep. They're gonna follow you and then you won't even have a couch to sit on because they will take it over. I had a scare with this a while back, and did some research.

I'm sure you can find an exterminator that will help, but here's what I found for home remedies.

- they make mattress covers for this kind of thing, get one, and seal the zipper with tape. If they're in your mattress, they aren't getting out now.
- take apart your bed. If you can, just ditch your headboard for a while.
- inspect your box spring for any signs of bugs or rips/tears where they can enter in
- get some spray from lowes and spray every nook and cranny of your bed frame, then re-assemble
- when you get your bed back together, put all the legs of the bed into containers with soapy water (bugs climb up the legs to get to your bed, when they hit the soapy water, they cannot continue)
- make sure your bed does not touch anything else in your room (walls, nightstands, curtains, etc...)
- make sure your sheets don't touch the floor when you sleep

so that's basically phase 1... now, in theory, no bugs can get to you in your sleep sine they have no path onto your bed. They cannot jump or fly, and you've cut off their walking route. So now they cannot bite/feed on you. Of course, if you have a dog, this complicates things. They prefer humans but when they get hungry they'll probably get desperate and go after fido.

Now you just need to be diligent about spraying the rest of your room. Take apart your night stands and dresser and spray everything. Spray all baseboards and crown mouldings. Basically anything that has a crack in it, needs to be sprayed. Spray every few days. They can live up to a year without feeding, so don't just think that cutting off their supply (you) will completely solve it.
step 4, wash sheets in hot water.
some good info here.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,128,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCfan View Post
Hi Ross,
I live in Raleigh and I hate bugs too (I'm a girl) and have had great luck with Triangle Pest Control. I had a serious ant problem about a month ago and they took care of it very quickly. I had also heard a lot about bed bugs on the news, so I had them do a check for those too (luckily I didn't have them). They CAN deal with them though. You can search for them on Google or go to their site here: Raleigh Pest Control Exterminator Apex, Cary, NC | Ants, Termites & Spiders
Triangle Pest Control is great. We happened to find out that the condo unit beneath us had bedbugs. We had to do a full court press to get the owner to attend to the bugs, but Triangle did a great job. He also did a preventive treatment in our place.

I think apartment management by law has to address the bedbug issue.

Don't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary