U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:40 AM

10,308 posts, read 18,411,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
The answer is probably yes. Police are part of a brotherhood, and like it or not, they'll look out for each other. Including letting them by for speeding.

I find it ironic you are railing him for this considering the shape our local state troopers and what has been in recent news regarding multiple episodes of misconduct.
Two wrongs don't make a right. I find them appalling as well, but they were not relevant to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:38 PM

331 posts, read 507,050 times
I appreciate all the Non Judgemental responses. Like I said I am willing to accept a fine and /or court costs on a non moving violation that would not incur points on my license or insurance. Obtaining my CDL and they want as spotless a record as possible.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:31 PM

406 posts, read 948,292 times
The one speeding ticket I got back in 1988 (40 in a 35, yes you read that right), the officer did not show up, and they did not throw mine out. I asked for PFJ, judge said no. The kid before me brought his grnadpa w/ him to talk nice to the judge and got one. I was just a poor college student. Oh well!

EDIT: mine was in Wake County.

Last edited by Straitlover; 10-28-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 PM

15 posts, read 25,195 times
Ah, the old euphemism: professional courtesy. It means low-level corruption whereby cops allow other cops to get away with traffic offenses that the rest of us mundane sheep must be sheared for.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:42 PM

8,252 posts, read 21,582,060 times
As a native, I"ve always heard that of a trooper doesn';t show up for court, your case gets tossed,brotherhood or not. Sounds like he was still doing you a favor.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 PM

4,529 posts, read 6,939,159 times
Iamishra is right.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 PM

331 posts, read 507,050 times
Default What a Farce

Went to court today...the place was packed must've been a 1000 people there. Once i got to the actual court they reduce the speeding infraction to 9 mph over the limit just to get you to plead guilty... Then you get to pay just the court costs..$141. This isnt about anything but the revenue. If I wanted to plead not guilty I was told the officer in question wasnt in court and that I would have a postponement to a day when he would be in court. So pleading not guilty would have invoked more severe penalties than just pleading guilty to a lesser infraction.But make no mistake about it...Its all about the money and nothing more. In NJ when the Judge enters the courtroom the baliff tells everyone to rise...here it it didnt even happen. In NJ if you want to plead guilty you can do it..call the court for the fine amount and mail it in along with the ticket. Here there no such thing...just a complete waste of time.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:48 AM

272 posts, read 632,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelMan View Post
Its all about the money and nothing more.

Yep. That's how it is back home in Michigan. A friend got a ticket, showed up in court, and was told if they plead guilty to a lesser mph over and just paid the fine they would get no points on their license. It's a cash machine.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:44 AM

768 posts, read 2,401,574 times
I agree that speeding fines are all about revenue but what is the realistic alternative - Community service orders . Which would you rather do cough up $150 or do 20 hours community service or pay $150 to go to a drivers ed school?

We all have choices, no one forces us to exceed the speed limit. Yes I've been caught in the past, was I in the wrong , yes so I get punished. A $20 fine is not a deterrent but $150 was (for me)

In my experience there are many other issues much more dangerous than excessive speed ( if the driver is competent and alert)

Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 AM

10,327 posts, read 19,693,292 times
When I lived in NJ, I had a student that was a cop. He gave me a "get out of speeding free" card. Said they issued them at Xmas to the officers in his area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary