U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,404 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me about Cary, Raleigh, and some other similar areas and what there is to do there and if they are good places to live? We are not decided on those but just read they were great places to live. We are mid 30s 3 young kids. We like to have lots to do, good food, lots of nights out, we sometimes even make it out dancing. Decided to leave the city because although we love the action we want the kids to have a safer friendlier way to grow up. We are a little sad to leave the city and are hoping to a) find a good safe place with great schools for the kids while b) still finding a place that is fun and full of life with lots to do. We are visiting in a little over a week and would love some advice.
1) where are the best schools and what are they like?
2)where is the most modern and fun?

Also would love some recommendations for exactly which neighborhoods to drive around ( we are looking at the higher end houses as we will need 5 or 6 bedrooms).

Are there certain areas that are good places to walk around and soak up the atmosphere? Are there any good tours you recommend?

Lastly some recommendations for fun bars and restaurants and other fun social things to do would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 05:20 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,879,983 times
You will miss Chicago. I miss Chicago, and I've only been there twice.

You can find a lot on this board about Cary and other areas. The school system is Wake County School System. Use that search term, and you'll find lots of interesting information.

Here are things to do in Raleigh: Things To Do in Raleigh | Raleigh, NC Attractions | visitRaleigh.com :: Unlike other places, you may need to really seek out the things that interest you in the Triangle area.

One tip: Go to Meetup.com and see what people are doing in the area -- what events they're attending and where they are meeting.

Two popular fun places are the NC flea market at the fairgrounds (it's big); the (main) Farmer's Market in Raleig[ the farmer's market at North Hills (that one ends in a couple of weeks). Going to the beach (southeast coast) or "the Outer Banks" (western coast) is quite popular in the warmer months for many.

There are "mommy boards" (trianglemommies.com) where you may find find a lot of kid-centered activity suggestions. Also, Carolina Parent magazine is a good resource: http://www.carolinaparent.com/index.php

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-28-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 PM

31,694 posts, read 55,531,149 times
You have great alternatives within a few miles of the subject of this map: Crabtree Valley Mall.

Google Map for Crabtree Valley Mall.

You probably do not want to live right in Crabtree Valley, as it is commercial and congested, but coming down 70/Glenwood Avenue into town puts you into the highly desired "Inside The Beltline" neieghborhoods.

Or if you go SW down Edwards Mill Rd, or Blue Ridge Rd you will have a wide variety of housing to consider. And that area is extremely convenient for all the Triangle has to offer.

And lovely neighborhoods in either direction, some newer and some older.
You will see 1950's ranchers and infill redevelopment on lots where homes have been torn down. There are opportunities to build new in many of those locations.
They will qualify for your "higher end" description.

Further down, between Oberlin Road and St. Mary's Street, you are getting into the Cameron Village area.
Also highly desirable.

I do not know about "best schools," but I know these areas have schools that people highly desire.

If I knew I had to leave Cary for Raleigh, Inside the Beltline, and West Raleigh and the Cameron Village areas are three places that I would consider.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,839,120 times
If you were born & raised in Chicago & do decide to move here, get your fill of all your favorite Chicago food b4 you move. You won't find Italian beef sandwiches (Philly cheese steak instead) or any decent pizza (all NY style, except for Rosati's in Morrisville - so-so), any only 2 places with Vienna beef hot dogs. Serioulsy, food wise this area does not hold a candle to what you can get in Chicago. It amazes me how many lousy places remain open here. They wouldn't last a week in Chicago...

That being said, there are lots of great places to eat & Durham in particular has become a foodie town, even being written up in the NY Times quite frequently. Lots of trendy places to eat if that appeals to you. I'm sure many will chime in with numerous options.

There are nice museums in Raleigh and Durham, but Chicago has them beat by a long shot. You're coming to a place so much smaller so your choices will not be as pronouced, but there's still fun things to do.

As you may read on this forum, Wake county is going through some serious difficulties with their school board and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight. Just something that may be an important consideration. Chapel Hill has Excellent schools, btw.

Summers here are very hot & humid. Think the worst of August in Chicago, only from May-September here... Winters a very mild with snow being rare.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:31 PM

9 posts, read 15,263 times
N. Raleigh has many beautiful high end subdivisions. Olde Creedmoor is one, and there are several on Baileywick Rd. North Creedmoor road (past I-540) has many beautiful subdivisions. Also Strickland Rd has several high end homes as well.

Wake county schools are questionable at the moment. There are many great schools in the system, but redistricting happens often. Just do your research. My children were in a private school through middle school. Now they attend a public high school. I was nervous to find out if my daughter would be able to attend the same school as her brother while we were waiting to hear the new zoning routes.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,725,912 times
What industry(ies) do you work in? Parts of NC are much better/worse for certain industries than others.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:11 PM

93 posts, read 256,940 times
Southern Village, Chapel Hill

great schools>totally fun, very social, lots of community activities>very nice housing>lots of Chicago transplants>great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary