U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times

Advertisements

I was teasing because you implied (or said) that someone who can't find a job must turn to a life of crime. So one might infer from what you said that if you couldn't get a job, you might turn to a life of crime. Which of course, we all know you wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITTW View Post
So, I have been homeless for 7 months and I had to place my kids, separately. I am actively looking for work while panhandling seems to be the new job description for some. Are there even any misdemeanor-friendly employers that don't use a third- party to make the decisions for them? Those are the same employers who will hire a individual over me, who has no criminal record but no real work history,who will have to ,within a year, post another help wanted ad. Wanting a job is totally a difference from actually needing one.
Sounds like you need a helping hand - having done a lot on your own already. Especially with the cold weather coming on.

If you are in Raleigh, have you checked in with Raleigh Rescue Mission?
Recovery & Rehabilitation Services | Raleigh Rescue Mission

Durham also has one:
Durham Rescue Mission

Also, local ministers @ churches tend to have their various options and referrals. You can't go far without stumbling into a church in the area - have you tried stopping in and speaking with a minister or pastor to see how they might be able to assist?

If you are in Raleigh, perhaps you can get hooked into WIHN? They help families get back on their feet.
Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network

Old 11-13-2010, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
Would like to offer help to disadvantaged family in need . Don't know where to start, any info abut the Raleigh NC area would be appreciated.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 11,847 times
Default Any conviction labels you as an ex-offender

I work for an agency that deals with special "populations" including low-income, homeless and ex-offenders. Your conviction, whether misdemeanor or felony, active prison time or probation now makes you an ex-offender.

And as you have discovered many retail and service outlets rely upon background checks for risk management. Therefore, if you have any criminal record, you are considered a high risk candidate and 7 times out of 10, you will not be hired. A lot of this is fueled out of ignorance and fear.

You may feel that you have done your time, but most employers and the general public have the ... "not in my backyard syndrome." I hate to bust your bubble... but that is part of the reason you see people standing on the corner.

Now, that you know the odds are stacked against you; you have to ramp up....do some volunteer work, become a spokesperson for a charity, put on your A-game. Seek out career organizations that can help you with your incarceration speech.

If you would like to know more, we can talk offline.

Good Luck

Old 11-13-2010, 08:59 PM

398 posts, read 549,951 times
Your best bet is to start your own business. Screw the big corporations who leech off the proletariat. Do odd jobs for a while, save up a few bucks, start a business. It can be whatever. Of course this all means nothing if you can't first save up enough money for tools, a car, etc. Which you won't be able to do without first finding a job. Stop looking the minimum wage route... look for a labor job. Construction is filled with people with prior records. Mostly way more serious than a simple assault. Also look into the expungement laws in NC and see how you can get it off your record. Another option is to go back to school and get a college degree. Skilled jobs that require education don't usually even run criminal background checks (depends on the employer of course). You can get student grants by filing a FAFSA, you may even go to school for free and get money given to you for living expenses. It's always a possibility. Education opens up doors. Then in a few years you could possibly emigrate to a better country than the U.S., one where people are not left to be homeless on the street with no food to eat - I already chose to move to Canada.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,799 times
I was generally speaking from several points of view when I made the comment about punishing someone for something they did long ago. Some of you are too literal. I know exactly How long ago 2007 is. As far as working in restaurants,....do any of you live in Raleigh,NC. Immigration is incredible, so the majority of restaurant jobs go to the bilingual hispanic. Secondly, I have never been a liar. I let the managers know what's on my record up front. Problem is when you are dealing in customer service an assault charge is a negative. I have often explain that the assault charge was a result of a bad relationship, both of us were charged (mutual combat). Store managers definitely understand and tell me this much,....but everyone has a boss. The application is sent to HR. They give the decision without telling the managers why most cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary