U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 14,120 times

Advertisements

(I posted this thread in the Coastal NC area as well, but it may be more appropriate for the Raleigh section.)

Hi!

My job is taking us to Wilson. My husband and I are sucessful young professionals, 26 and 29, newly married, have 5 pets and no kids, and need to buy a house QUICK, as I start my new job on December 1 and don't want to stay in a hotel any longer than necessary. We'd think about renting a house, but we need a yard, garage, and will probably have a hard time finding all this where we can also bring our dogs and cats.

We have been doing research and I can't figure out where to concentrate our real estate search...

We like to eat out. We don't go to chain restaurants much at all and prefer unique local spots. We like to sing karaoke at bars and we like to see cover bands. I'm a vegetarian. He is a drummer. We like shopping at Target. We like to have a grocery store very close that stays open past 10 pm.

Where should we live? What will commute be like from Knightdale, or Greenville? What about a place like Zebulon or Wendell - are there even grocery stores there? What is Smithfield like? Does Wilson shut down at 6 or 7 pm? Are there any bars there?

Clayton or Knightdale are where I am leaning...Thoughts??

Appreciate your help!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,580 times
I live in Europe now, but just moved from Raleigh after 8 years living there. (Wilson was 30 miles away.) Renting a house is fine. My best advice would be Knightdale, which gives you access to Raleigh malls (and theres a Target in Knightdale anyway) and cover band stuff in Raleigh/Cary. Now that there is an expressway from Raleigh/Knightdale out to Wilson, its easily done...Zebulon is a cute small town, and Wendell is a village honestly; they are more working class places. You may be bored there...

Check out the pet laws of whatever town you choose. Some towns have a 2 dog limit on dogs running around in yards, and make sure they aren't loud, that drives people like me crazy LOL...

You could also consider parts of Raleigh actually, as long as you have a good highway connection to Wilson...

Old 10-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks for your input! I agree that we would probably be bored in Wendell or Zebulon.

Is it quick to get to the expressway from most places in Knightdale?

I also realize that we could just live in Wilson. However, I don't like the idea of living so far from Raleigh! I can deal with a 40 minute commute from Knightdale better than I can coming home from work and being stuck at home all night with nothing to do. When I was visiting in Wilson, the biggest news was that they were getting an Olive Garden - yeck!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 PM

51 posts, read 104,515 times
Based on your description, Clayton might not be the best choice either. We live there, and we are always driving to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, or Chapel Hill to eat out. Clayton has Mulberry on Main, which I like (but others have reported bad experiences). That's pretty much it. Maybe Clayton Steakhouse. For chains, there's Lonestar. 40/42 has Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday and Applebees. Mostly fast food aside from those... Clayton is NOT the place for foodies in terms of eating out...

Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Ack! You are right - based on that, Clayton might not be a good choice either. We don't mind driving 15 minutes out of town to eat somewhere good, but it looks like Clayton is a little farther away than that to Raleigh.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM

72 posts, read 133,168 times
Knightdale is really growing, homes there aren't too expensive, plus it's a quick drive into downtown where there are good restaurants and bars. My daughter graduated from highschool in knightdale and she and her friends are always going downtown to go to clubs or over to Northhills/Midtown to see a movie and have dinner. I know that when she decides to move out of my home she will move to Knightdale.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:24 PM

100 posts, read 279,777 times
I think your best option is to live as close to Raleigh as possible. Wilson is a small city that isn't going to have the amenities that a young urban-ish couple like yourselves are looking for. If you're looking for nightlife, you're really not going to find it in that area.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 PM

4,529 posts, read 7,035,557 times
I live 1 mile from Knightdale, I would choose Knightdale for the reasons the above posters mentioned. You can hop on the 64 bypass and be in Wilson in 40mins. this area is 20 mins from Wake Forest, Downtown, North Hills - great shopping and movies, 10mins from Triangle Town Mall. Prices here are excellent, some great deals.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:40 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
Cary used to have a two-dog limit, then someone challenged it. It was unenforceable. So they don't have it anymore. I don't think other area towns have limits.

Some areas do have tethering laws. You can't tie up your dogs for more than a short time. The laws are very specific.

So if you rent a house (which you should) you might want it to have a fenced-in yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntwerpRocks View Post
I live in Europe now, but just moved from Raleigh after 8 years living there. (Wilson was 30 miles away.) Renting a house is fine. My best advice would be Knightdale, which gives you access to Raleigh malls (and theres a Target in Knightdale anyway) and cover band stuff in Raleigh/Cary. Now that there is an expressway from Raleigh/Knightdale out to Wilson, its easily done...Zebulon is a cute small town, and Wendell is a village honestly; they are more working class places. You may be bored there...

Check out the pet laws of whatever town you choose. Some towns have a 2 dog limit on dogs running around in yards, and make sure they aren't loud, that drives people like me crazy LOL...

You could also consider parts of Raleigh actually, as long as you have a good highway connection to Wilson...

Old 10-30-2010, 06:36 AM

171 posts, read 371,131 times
Relocating - live in the state capitol, small town, small town or suburban town?

There are great things about living in all three kinds of places, big cities, small towns and suburban towns. I would love to live in a small town one day, but your desires are far more consistent with the amenities of the state capitol. You will be much happier in or as close to Raleigh as possible.

RENT first. Take your time. Find out what cities and communities you like. A lot of real estate agents need work right now, maybe they'll help place you in a fitting rental property for a small fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinandbryan View Post
(I posted this thread in the Coastal NC area as well, but it may be more appropriate for the Raleigh section.)

We like to eat out. We don't go to chain restaurants much at all and prefer unique local spots. We like to sing karaoke at bars and we like to see cover bands. I'm a vegetarian. He is a drummer. We like shopping at Target. We like to have a grocery store very close that stays open past 10 pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary